PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Yenidje Highlander and Deep Hollow are my personal favorites. I like using 40th Anniversary for a blender. A fellow here cleaning out his cellar some years ago sold me ten tins of Balkan Blue for $50 that I've yet to get into but my stock of Christmas Cheer and Oriental No. 6 will outlast me even at my rate of consumption.
Duane, what’s the proportion of Latakia in Oriental No. 6?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Speaking from the relatively privileged POV of someone who has tried a lot of the McClelland blends before they closed up (and then building a decent stash of my 4 or 5 favorites at regular retail prices that I can smoke whenever I want), my advice to someone who hasn’t tried them but is curious would be don’t bother, especially if you’re trying to build a cellar on a budget. Your money is better spent buying larger amounts of the many excellent blends available now.

That being said, if you don’t mind the premium price, most CCs and the 40th are truly exceptional blends and those are the ones you should buy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You know, they were just seen as another blender when they were around. Of course the Frog Morton series and Christmas Cheer had their fans. Now with them leaving us and years going by making those Virginias talk of course they are more sought after.
I don't know that I can agree with that. They had a loyal following, albeit not that huge, and I was among that group. They obviously gained fame since they shut down, more so than when they were in business. To be fair, back in the day, you could go into any tobacco shop and find lots of McClelland on the shelves. But you could also find stacks of Penzance and Stonehaven as well.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
S
I don't know that I can agree with that. They had a loyal following, albeit not that huge, and I was among that group. They obviously gained fame since they shut down, more so than when they were in business. To be fair, back in the day, you could go into any tobacco shop and find lots of McClelland on the shelves. But you could also find stacks of Penzance and Stonehaven as well.
Sure they had their fans. Wasn’t like now though. I remember being able to order Margate and a host of other blends you can’t get off of smoking pipes. Like all the time they'd be on there. It’s crazy I know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
S

Sure they had their fans. Wasn’t like now though. I remember being able to order Margate and a host of other blends you can’t get off of smoking pipes. Like all the time they'd be on there. It’s crazy I know.
Yeah they had a handful of folks that loved them, myself included. They were mostly just a brand that was primarily appreciated for their seasonal offerings. The rabid fanbase developed after they discontinued the brand. I often wonder if the folks paying top dollar for Red Cake realize that it was just a blender.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
You know, they were just seen as another blender when they were around. Of course the Frog Morton series and Christmas Cheer had their fans. Now with them leaving us and years going by making those Virginias talk of course they are more sought after.
They were always very well regarded as far back as the days of the Pipes Digest mailing list. I can’t say I agree that they were seen as “just another blender”, that is to say average.

Their range went from excellent Virginias to exquisite Orientals to great seasonal offerings. They were appreciated for all of their offerings by my recollection. Even other blenders depended on McClelland for components of their own blends.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
They were always very well regarded as far back as the days of the Pipes Digest mailing list. I can’t say I agree that they were seen as “just another blender”, that is to say average.

Their range went from excellent Virginias to exquisite Orientals to great seasonal offerings. They were appreciated for all of their offerings by my recollection. Even other blenders depended on McClelland for components of their own blends.
Many of their blends have less than average reviews even today. Take a look at some of their English and Syrian reviews. Most of those reviews are from back then. I wasn’t saying they are average as a blender, I said just another blender for back then among many great blenders. For me personally, I enjoy their Virginias, but can definitely do without. Yes, everybody loves McClelland now. I’m just saying they weren’t exactly raved about during their time. Like Chasing Embers said and I said originally, they had their fans. Certainly, I wish they hadn’t closed shop.

Last edited:

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I got into smoking a pipe shortly after they closed up shop. I feel like some of their blends may have still been available online, and if they were, I didn't buy any. I've been curious to see what the hype is, but not curious enough to spend the kinda money required to indulge my curiosity. Their Navy Cavendish always sounded good to me. As for CC and all that, I don't like Virginia's enough to probably appreciate them. I do have a tin of Nording Fox Hound in my cellar, though, and that was blended by McClelland. It's like 8 or 9 years old at this point. I keep saying I'm gonna open it but I keep finding other tins to pop. I'll get there.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Many of their blends have less than average reviews even today. Take a look at some of their English and Syrian reviews. Most of those reviews are from back then. I wasn’t saying they are average as a blender, I said just another blender for back then among many great blenders. For me personally, I enjoy their Virginias, but can definitely do without. Yes, everybody loves McClelland now. I’m just saying they weren’t exactly raved about during their time. Like Chasing Embers said and I said originally, they had their fans. Certainly, I wish they hadn’t closed shop.

No, not everybody loves McClellands now, and they never did. They had an excellent reputation and were widely sold. Why write about something that's easy to get, no matter how good it is?

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
I thought I’d make some general comments after having dived into some vintage tins of McClellands VA flake tobaccos. Because of when I started pipe smoking and the fact that I wasn’t experienced enough to truly appreciate McClelland VAs when they were available, I was forced to pay very high prices to try some vintage tins after they shut down their operations. The advantage has been most of the tins I am tasting are over 20 years old. That’s an amazing amount of time for them to age and supposedly mature and improve. So, has it been worth paying up to $200 for a 100g tin ?? Yes and No. Yes, because now I know what I might have missed out on. Yes, because some of them have been among best smokes I’ve ever had. No, because some are either duds or just not that mind/taste blowing. In summary : Christmas Cheer and 40th Anniversary live up to their reputation. Christmas Cheer varies slightly from year to year. 2003 is particularly great. 40th Anniversary is like a very special Christmas Cheer. The others I’ve tried have been St James Woods, Blackwoods, VA #22. St James is dull and I’m not getting any specialness from the perique. Blackwoods and 22 are mediocre. I will continue to update. At the moment the only things I would continue to seek would be CC when I run out and 40th Anniversary. So, yes and no ! McClellands had something special. But they were not the be all and end all of tobacco !!
I have a large selection of CC's and agree with your opinion of the 2003 as well as with St. James Woods, No.22 and Blackwoods. I would call your attention to two of my favoriteCC's: 1997 and 2001. I'm smoking some 2001 now. Wonderful. However, my favorite McC Virginia is No. 24, with Drama. Hope you can find some to try.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I’m smoking a bowl of 2008 Christmas Cheer right now. It is a bit unique along with the typical sugar and spice an aged red would have. They’ve acquired a few tins for sale at my B&M. I’m going to pass at 150$ each, but this is still a nice smoke. I think it has more to do with what they did to the leaf in processing than the leaf itself(albeit excellent quality). Vinegar is involved for sure. They had a unique house style.

jagsdriver

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Vancouver Island BC
I thought I’d make some general comments after having dived into some vintage tins of McClellands VA flake tobaccos. Because of when I started pipe smoking and the fact that I wasn’t experienced enough to truly appreciate McClelland VAs when they were available, I was forced to pay very high prices to try some vintage tins after they shut down their operations. The advantage has been most of the tins I am tasting are over 20 years old. That’s an amazing amount of time for them to age and supposedly mature and improve. So, has it been worth paying up to $200 for a 100g tin ?? Yes and No. Yes, because now I know what I might have missed out on. Yes, because some of them have been among best smokes I’ve ever had. No, because some are either duds or just not that mind/taste blowing. In summary : Christmas Cheer and 40th Anniversary live up to their reputation. Christmas Cheer varies slightly from year to year. 2003 is particularly great. 40th Anniversary is like a very special Christmas Cheer. The others I’ve tried have been St James Woods, Blackwoods, VA #22. St James is dull and I’m not getting any specialness from the perique. Blackwoods and 22 are mediocre. I will continue to update. At the moment the only things I would continue to seek would be CC when I run out and 40th Anniversary. So, yes and no ! McClellands had something special. But they were not the be all and end all of tobacco !!
I love cooking and great wines. My simple answer is that there are banner years for wine vintages and others not so much. A good analogy.

Reactions: BingBong

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
When I was a young pipe smoker in the late 90’s, it seemed like all the older guys that I knew smoked McClellands bulk Virginias, especially 5100. It was super cheap, consistent and a good blender. Every time I tried it back then, it tasted like hot air. Then the famed Ronnie B sat me down one day and told me to by a bunch and sit on it for 10 years. Him and I split a 5lb bag (for a relatively cheap price since we both were in the pipe industry at the time) and he jarred it up for me. I still have about 9 jars left and every once in awhile I crack a jar and enjoy a few bowls and smile. He was right, after 14 years it’s even better. I owe a lot of gratitude to the old godgers that showed me the way back in the day before the internet, (not counting ASP).

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
On a positive note, there’s as much bullshit jaw jacking about McC now as there was when they were producing.

• Haha
Reactions: AJL67

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I agree......sort of.
When I was just starting out (2004ish), McClelland was extremely popular among pipers on the internet forums.
Frog Morton series, 5100 Red Cake, 2015, Christmas Cheer.....
And they were still on top when they closed.
I remember there were a LOT of upset pipers.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy