Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I thought I’d make some general comments after having dived into some vintage tins of McClellands VA flake tobaccos. Because of when I started pipe smoking and the fact that I wasn’t experienced enough to truly appreciate McClelland VAs when they were available, I was forced to pay very high prices to try some vintage tins after they shut down their operations. The advantage has been most of the tins I am tasting are over 20 years old. That’s an amazing amount of time for them to age and supposedly mature and improve. So, has it been worth paying up to $200 for a 100g tin ?? Yes and No. Yes, because now I know what I might have missed out on. Yes, because some of them have been among best smokes I’ve ever had. No, because some are either duds or just not that mind/taste blowing. In summary : Christmas Cheer and 40th Anniversary live up to their reputation. Christmas Cheer varies slightly from year to year. 2003 is particularly great. 40th Anniversary is like a very special Christmas Cheer. The others I’ve tried have been St James Woods, Blackwoods, VA #22. St James is dull and I’m not getting any specialness from the perique. Blackwoods and 22 are mediocre. I will continue to update. At the moment the only things I would continue to seek would be CC when I run out and 40th Anniversary. So, yes and no ! McClellands had something special. But they were not the be all and end all of tobacco !!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have discovered one of the great truths about tobacco. Any manufacturer who can produce great tobaccos will end up creating many duds too. Sometimes they will create some with the same line of tobacco. Christmas Cheer is an amazing blend some years and in others it leaves a lot to be desired

Reactions: LudwigB88

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
You have discovered one of the great truths about tobacco. Any manufacturer who can produce great tobaccos will end up creating many duds too. Sometimes they will create some with the same line of tobacco. Christmas Cheer is an amazing blend some years and in others it leaves a lot to be desired
I’d appreciate hearing what anyone thinks are best years for CC. Also, how much you think storage humidity and temp affect sealed tins.

Reactions: kcghost

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I have quite a bit of McClelland blends buy honestly had they not been on sale when purchased I likely would've passed on many of them.
I have to say that when you get a good batch like 2003 CC I had, they really are quite nice ! Something akin to how people feel about Esoterica. But a well-blended Vaper like Viprati gets 80% there. And Pease English blends are artistry. 40th Anniversary is quite special. I also agree that drying is crucial.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One man's dud may be another's nirvana. Because the processing often gives McClelland Virginias a savory note, certain stoved blends, like Blackwoods Flake or Dark Star, may present a sort of flavor battle between savory and sweet. Some people love it and others do not.
2003 is one of the better CC's I also like 1996 and 1997, 2005, 2006, 2013, 2015. I haven't tried my tins of 2016 and 2017. I think of the 40th as CC2018.
McClelland made a lot of blends, so it's no surprise that some of them are snoozers. I bought some 5100 in 2013 because everyone was raving about it. I found it dull, tasteless and entirely disappointing. Fast forward 10 years and while I'm packing up the cellar for the move I rediscover the jars of 5100 and decide to give it another go. OMG, it had EXPLODED in flavor! Wish I'd bought more, but I still have a couple of pounds of it.
Another one to check out is 2015, a superb Va/Per bulk flake. 27 is a pretty good blend.

McClelland had a definite "house" style which some love and other do not. Their output is not for everyone.

Keep in mind that while they were active, there were only a handful of blends that people swooned over. It wasn't until they closed their doors that their output was elevated to "legendary" status.

They made a unique product, one that I happen to enjoy. But I also enjoy blends from other makers just as much if not more.

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
I was lucky enough to be a established smoker when mclelland was around and they were my favorite company. I have the good fortune of having a stockpile of their blends including all of the frog Morton and my particular favorite honeydew, reading this post though I find it hard to believe you paid that much for 100g. That just seems insanely high. Hopefully you enjoy them!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm pretty partial to McClelland Virginias but not all. Blackwoods Flake and Dark Star don't do much for me. Surprised at your Set James Flake experience, I've found it to be quite flavorful. Yeah, all Christmas Cheers aren't created equal, not even close. The 40th is outstanding to me. I really like the bulk 2010 a lot, was fortunate to show a few pounds before everything was gone. Virginia No 27 is very nice but mild.

I used to buy 5100 by the 5 lb bag. Smoked bowl after bowl in big old Castello Great Lines. Have a few pounds of that aging as well, it certainly gets much better with age. I'm happy my taste in Virginias has diversified. Even if I had unlimited access to McClelland, I'd still smoke many of the Virginia blends I now enjoy.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
McClellands was always my favorite and happily I accumulated a lot of their blends when they were readily available.

They were a fortunate alignment of people who were very particular about what they produced being able to forge relationships with growers who could and would grow the leaf required. Everybody won.

Their catalogue was a lot deeper than just the Cheers and Frogs. A lot of great blends that fly under the radar these days.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have to say that when you get a good batch like 2003 CC I had, they really are quite nice ! Something akin to how people feel about Esoterica. But a well-blended Vaper like Viprati gets 80% there. And Pease English blends are artistry. 40th Anniversary is quite special. I also agree that drying is crucial.
Yenidje Highlander and Deep Hollow are my personal favorites. I like using 40th Anniversary for a blender. A fellow here cleaning out his cellar some years ago sold me ten tins of Balkan Blue for $50 that I've yet to get into but my stock of Christmas Cheer and Oriental No. 6 will outlast me even at my rate of consumption.

Reactions: Tbaggins

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I was lucky enough to be an established smoker when mclelland was around and they were my favorite company. I have the good fortune of having a stockpile of their blends including all of the frog Morton and my particular favorite honeydew, reading this post though I find it hard to believe you paid that much for 100g. That just seems insanely high. Hopefully you enjoy them!
I think I was wrong. I think it was maybe 150. I can’t recall. Pipestud was fair at about 100. I think Tinbids was high. I don’t recall.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There are far more people on this glorious green planet who think that Capt. Monochromatic is the cat’s meow. There is only one thing that I have to say:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are far more people on this glorious green planet who think that Capt. Monochromatic is the cat’s meow. There is only one thing that I have to say:

I thought the same thing for about 30 years until it clicked and now it's amazing. Prior to tobaccopipes unloading the NOS Captain Black Grape, I was considered offering McClelland tins for it.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Smoking my 40th Anniversary now. Really was a great year. Like CC plus an added level of spice and toasted marshmallow.

Reactions: EA-6B

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I was as big a fan of MC stuff years ago as i was many of the other producers. My favorites were 5100, 2015, 2035, also liked Beacon Extra, Brindle Flake, etc. Many. They were thriving during my first ever "try everything i can afford to" phase. CC was good, but never one of my all time faves from them. I'm currently slowly rationing out what i think is my last tin from 2005.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I have to admit that I didn't care much for most of the popular McC blends when they were readily available; the Frogs and straight Virginias just didn't wow me in any way. I did like their Oriental blends, however, and still come across a big tin for sale now and then. But thanks to the Oriental blends by LJ Peretti, I don't really miss those either (much).