PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
It's not just the "sheep" buying the stuff up. There's also that little greedy organized "group" who participate in the hoarding. You know, those wonderful "Brothers of the Briar" who pool their money together and snatch up all the hard to get baccys. Then smoke what they want and jack the prices up on the rest of it for re-sale. The Tobacco Mafia Association. A great bunch of little boys.
So no need to piss and moan boys, you could do the same. Or join "The Big (little) Club". Right ?
Or should it be called :
Orwell's Animal Farm.

Ahhh, the TTMA, you're not supposed to talk openly about that...

images

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
If someone like Mike McNiel says he can't source reds that meet his standard, I can't trust future blenders to get HIS (Mike/McClelland's) blends right.
See, this is why I can't trust the rumors (even if they turn out to be true in the end). This is a perfect example of making a mountain out of a molehill...of how fake news are created.
Mike said he could not not find reds that meet his standard to continue to make 5100. You are creating "fake news" by suggesting that he is retiring because he cant find reds for any of his blends...that other blenders will not be able to make those blends right because they will also have problems sourcing reds (or because they are incompetent)...and that because your tobacconist is unable to order more McClelland now, he will never, ever be able to order those blends again.
You are jumping to conclusions and you are making things up...and, in the end, you could end up being correct. LOL

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Another "The sky is falling" thread. More fuel to the fire.
Oh my oh my...what's a poor boy to do?
Excuse me while I go call my boys who get me overpriced tickets to sports games. Ya know, scalpers..I think that's what they call them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Mike said he could not not find reds that meet his standard to continue to make 5100.
Did he put a time scale on this? Could be a crop was bad four years ago, and this problem with be gone in six months.
Either that, or he is choosing a good time to induce panic, in the wake of armaggeDUN, to stir normally sedentary pipe smokers into action.
We can do better than the Whiskey Rebellion...

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Did he put a time scale on this?
Not that I know of. I first read about the 5100 problem in a thread created around November (don't remember the site). Someone reported Mike was having problems with the reds he used for that blend, but it was also stated that he had a new batch he was going to try. Then there were the threads confirming the demise of 5100 (again, someone reporting what Mike said).
But with all the rumor and the scarcity of all his blends (and the all-out weirdness going on), it does not seem likely that the problems will be gone in six month. It actually seems more likely that Mike will be gone forever in six months.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
But with all the rumor and the scarcity of all his blends (and the all-out weirdness going on), it does not seem likely that the problems will be gone in six month. It actually seems more likely that Mike will be gone forever in six months.
So now you are part of the doom and gloom club but you just added 6 months to the end! How convenient since more additional information has come in, I clearly remember your posting saying how sky is not falling and how you believe GLP and calling out people as liars for starting rumors, what have you! Franco, you change your position with the wind buddy! You can now enjoy those C&D blends that you love so much!!!
I just spoke to two different B&Ms and they both confirmed they are shutting down!!!
Retiring is one thing, shutting down is another! I hope my B&Ms are wrong about this. Also, they said part of the reason is sourcing the type of leaf they are after.
a5b5dd7717e2f879d430fa21ba1428812050363d8913c50af15377aa3d87b0ad.jpg

I am starting my lunch plans!!!

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
So now you are part of the doom and gloom club but you just added 6 months to the end! How convenient since more additional information has come in, I clearly remember your posting saying how sky is not falling and how you believe GLP and calling out people as liars for starting rumors, what have you!
What new "additional information" has come in? You are also getting second hand information and passing it on as a fact. Sure, it is a fact that a tabacconist told you Mike is shutting down. What is not a fact (yet) is that Mike is actually shutting down.
We will only know that Mike is retiring, or shutting down, when he releases an official statement (or when three years have passed without any of his blends having been released...lol). Everything else is purely speculation.
Clearly, things are not looking good for McCleeland fans.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
What new "additional information" has come in? You are also getting second hand information and passing it on as a fact. Sure, it is a fact that a tabacconist told you Mike is shutting down. What is not a fact (yet) is that Mike is actually shutting down.
We will only know that Mike is retiring, or shutting down, when he releases an official statement (or when three years have passed without any of his blends having been released...lol). Everything else is purely speculation.
You contradict your self on many levels, from your previous posts on other threads to this one. Not going to brake it down because I honestly do not have the energy!
Its just a big Fing Conspiracy! Until McNeil's are under oath!!!

Oct 7, 2016
@sablebrush52, beats me if something is going on with McClelland. But I did notice that over the last few weeks SP has had massive quantities of McClelland products on hand, way beyond what seems to me to have been their practice over the last year or so since I have started tracking their inventory levels. And not just 40th Anniversary. Makes you think that, as one poster said in possibly another thread, Sykes must know something. But, on the other hand, if he did, he would surely have posted something on one of these threads. After all, he did write an article for the front page of this publication about the passing of a giant, but it wasn't McClelland. And surely, if anything else were known that developed after the initial thread about 5100 no longer being made,people like Russ O. and Greg Pease would have weighed in and set the record straight by now. After all, they were very quick to write off the disaapeance of the red Virginia that was used for 5100 as a nothing to see here, move on, moment.(In other words, it is safe to buy OUR red Virginia's).
So, really, with at least three people so well connected in the industry who have posted in this forum in the past, not saying anything recently, there can't be anything going on with McClelland.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Hopefully some McClelland news (not fake news) will come out of the Chicago Pipe Show if McClelland is there? I would hate to see McClelland's go but if they do I have a few tins each of the blends that I like. I am just surprised that knowing that Dunhill is finished why hasn't there been such a run on their blends? The last I looked, most blends were available. I am sure the time will come and the race will be on to buy the last of their blends...have fun with that I say.

Actually, I have it on good authority, that Mike has been taken by the FDA's black helicopter goons and being tortured to make him stop making his delicious Red Cake which has most of us unable to quit smoking out pipes.

He has not been available for contact, and is being held in an undisclosed location.

kidnapped-man-interrogatedkidnapped_07mov_vy4b8-mh__S0000.jpg

Poor guy, we really should all unite and do something about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.