PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I am amazed at the panic that has erupted over MC. A quick check on SP this morning and most of their blends are out of stock. Wow, when a herd of pipe smokers panic they really do stampede something fierce...

And, because most pipe smokers and even so-called pipe-experts have no idea how tobacco processing works, they think all red Virginias are going away, so they've even bought out red VA blends from other companies. It's ridiculous. If all red VA's are going away, then that ends the cigarette industry completely, ha ha, and that ain't happening.
And, these are the same people who laugh at kids for eating Tide pods because there are hundreds of videos telling them that it will get them high. The very same laughers are believing any ol crap a beareded guy with a camera on their phone is telling them. I've watched a few of these "expert" podcasters and obviously they have no more an idea of how tobacco production works than a pre-teen with a box of yummy gushers from the laundry room.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
No disrespect if somebody likes McConnell Red VA...but I saw a YouTube fella buy over 20 tins bc they believe all Red VA is going away...that is 20 tins of misery being cellared in ignorance

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Is it any more ridiculous than storing 500 lbs of tobacco? Why poopah a concept you essentially endorse? Only difference is you’ve done it over time. Still amounts to the same thing. And if you are saying red Va = red Va = red Va, I’ll trade you 1.5 to 1 Sutliff Bulk Red Va for the 40 lbs of 5100 you have.
And, because most pipe smokers and even so-called pipe-experts have no idea how tobacco processing works, they think all red Virginias are going away, so they've even bought out red VA blends from other companies. It's ridiculous. If all red VA's are going away, then that ends the cigarette industry completely, ha ha, and that ain't happening.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Panics do not surprise me. If you've hung around addicts long enough you know that any suggestion of a disruption in the supply of our favorite pacifier is a trigger. In the meantime, regular fans of McClelland products have had time to buy their favorites before people notice stocks are thinning, shout the alarm, and the herd stampedes.

Hoosier, reread me. I am saying the exact opposite of what you suggest. In no way are all reds the same, but these sheeple are hoarding all reds of any make, because someone has told them that all reds are going away or are in danger, which is stupid. This doesn't make me jealous or angry, just amused at the misconception. If everyone buys out the crappy reds... that will save the new pipe smokers from accidentally smoking some of that crap.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Personally and theoretically, I don't have to ever buy another tin of tobacco for as long as I live.
Yeah I say that too. Seriously, I don't need more than I have, or even as much as I have. Yet, I'm still buying. And when I was talking about this conundrum with a fellow pipe smoker he offered this simple explanation. We keep buying, even if it's in piddly amounts, because not to do so would be to admit our mortality. Makes as much sense to me as any other explanation.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hoosier, I will tell you as soon as I get 40 more tins. Ha ha, but you probably wouldn't liker them anyways. They were made in collaboration with dead grandmas, ha ha.
Just curious is all. From what I’ve seen, our respective tastes in tobacco vary a fair amount. Unlike Harris, I don’t go out and try to corner the market. LOL

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
It's interesting, as I want to avoid the stampede and let it run straight past me...... But, in the eyes of the bystander further back, I appear to have joined the stampede. It's all a matter of where you are viewing the carnage from.
I watched a couple of blends I really enjoy disappearing and thought I better get a couple of tins before the frenzied herd wipes them out. If there were a number of us out there with a similar thought - in the eyes of the bystander with no desire or desire to acquire what the stampede is running at - it would, I guess, look like everyone charging at the prize must be a part of it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah I say that too. Seriously, I don't need more than I have, or even as much as I have. Yet, I'm still buying. And when I was talking about this conundrum with a fellow pipe smoker he offered this simple explanation. We keep buying, even if it's in piddly amounts, because not to do so would be to admit our mortality. Makes as much sense to me as any other explanation.
I had a pipe smoking friend with ALS. He kept buying tobacco until he couldn't. He joked about it. He wasn't in denial; the process of choosing, imagining a tobacco's look, taste, and feel, and then actually purchasing it gave him enjoyment, is all. After a while, it was the only part of the pipe hobby he could do.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Its not just shortage of red virginia.
It has been said by well respected folks that that McNeil's are retiring and some have gone as far as saying some of the blends are no longer produced. Such as Dark Star and Blackwoods flake.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I spent a pretty penny on a bag of 7 year old 5100 a few weeks ago. Not taking chances...just sayin'

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
What's worse is the skyrocketing cost of aged VA's. Used to be able to snag aged cans for 20-25. Price on most stuff has close to doubled in the past 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.