PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I didn’t really get into McClelland VA’s for the first 5 or 6 years of smoking a pipe, I did start getting into them in 2015, so I’ve only tried 2015, 2016 & 2017. I have several tins of each, all of them are good but they were never a favorite of mine in the McClelland line up. I used to love Red & Black but I just went through a 2015 tin that was very disappointing, just bland, I wasn’t able to tease any of the flavors out that I really fell in love with, I’m hoping it was just a one off, I have several more tins in the cellar. My favorite straight VA from McClelland was probably Brindle Flake which wasn’t very popular but it was a damn fine VA.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'd like to hear what that blend is like.
Its been at least 25 years! It was a bite free, smooth Virginia flake prone to crystal forming on the flakes. As the tin emptied, the flavors just got better. Absolutely no sharp edges. I've yet to find any Virginia Flake to compare. I would love to know the origin of the leaf and the sugar content because it was perfect. I believe I managed to get 3 tins in total.

Mike S.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I didn’t really get into McClelland VA’s for the first 5 or 6 years of smoking a pipe, I did start getting into them in 2015, so I’ve only tried 2015, 2016 & 2017. I have several tins of each, all of them are good but they were never a favorite of mine in the McClelland line up. I used to love Red & Black but I just went through a 2015 tin that was very disappointing, just bland, I wasn’t able to tease any of the flavors out that I really fell in love with, I’m hoping it was just a one off, I have several more tins in the cellar. My favorite straight VA from McClelland was probably Brindle Flake which wasn’t very popular but it was a damn fine VA.
Red and Black has mellowed some with a few years in the tins, I think. It's always hard to determine if something is actually different or simply not living up to expectations driven by memory. And I think that's part of the issue for me with the 40th, I was just expecting or hoping for something it's not. Perhaps my expectations were out of line with what a really good red virginia is supposed to do.

The Sutliff bulk is this one (I think, I got mine from 4N but assume it's the same one) Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon | Buy Sutliff Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Sutliff/Red-Virginia-Ribbon/product_id/127347/bulk/

Reactions: BROBS and hawky454

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
40th anniversary isn't a straight red virginia from what I gathered. And it's pretty dang good, I can't imagine anything being vastly superior to it.

Dec 24, 2012
I still have unopened tins of every single release of CC, since 92. Was devastated when Mcl left the business and haven't gotten around to smoking any in a few years though. In 2019 I smoked through a double I had of the 95 blend and it was just so smooth.I also managed to get my hands on about 25 tins of 40th and it is wonderful stuff and I have smoked through a couple of those.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I still have unopened tins of every single release of CC, since 92. Was devastated when Mcl left the business and haven't gotten around to smoking any in a few years though. In 2019 I smoked through a double I had of the 95 blend and it was just so smooth.I also managed to get my hands on about 25 tins of 40th and it is wonderful stuff and I have smoked through a couple of those.
The Peck is back in town!!............. puffy

Reactions: BROBS and hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Red and Black has mellowed some with a few years in the tins, I think. It's always hard to determine if something is actually different or simply not living up to expectations driven by memory.
Good point. As far as tobaccos are concerned 6 - 7 years in the tin is still pretty young so it’s most likely that it didn’t live up to my expectations. The last few bowls of the tin were when it started to get better so I probably should have let the tin aerate a bit longer and will try that next time. For aged tobacco, I like to crack the tin a week or two before I plan on smoking it, I only waited 4 days for the R&B.

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
Yes, Red & Black was super. I’d have to agree with you in regard to McCranies. The Red Flakes were delicious. And, I’m still dipping into a jar of First Light…pretty good indeed on its own. The 40th for me was also good, with the potential for greatness. As for Sutliff bulk red Virginias…never had it unless it was included in another Blend I’m unaware of. ☕
Anyones thoughts on First Light? Was it just 5100 with a different name?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Maryland adds a sweetness and softens the sharpness of a blend. YH's stars are the Virginias and the Yenidje. The Syrian latakia is thankfully very far in the background and only makes its presence known if you are really trying to find it.
I thought Maryland was just a form of white burley. I wouldn't expect sweetness from that. Am I misinformed ?

paperbagman

Lurker
Oct 14, 2021
California
great thread - love hearing these stories and insights (had no idea about the 1993 being skipped for Nutcracker Flake or that the 40th was meant as the 2018). my dad started getting these for me back in the early 2000s and I took over in the late 2010s. Current have unopened 2001 to 2017 except for 2002 and 2005. Am always looking for them (and pre 2001) but they are extremely hard to locate. agree with everyone saying the 40th anniversary is very good.