PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I'm really bad at reviewing tobaccos, because my sense of taste is weak. I know if I like it, or if I don't, but I can't pretend to tell you about all the subtle nuances of flavor. But I do know that I love straight Virginia tobacco.
McClelland 5100 you say? I always thought "it's just a bulk blend, it can't possibly compare with the tinned blends I prefer." And I thought "it's ready-rubbed. All of the best Virginias are flakes, or even plugs." So while I have FVF, WBCDF, Dunhill Flake, Christmas Cheer, McCranies, etc. in my cellar in decent quantities, I just never got around to trying McClelland 5100.
So I finally ordered 8 ounces. It's cheap compared to tins, so what have I got to lose? My reaction?
WOW!!!!! Why in the world didn't I try this long ago? It's got that rich tangy sweetness of great red Virginia tobacco. It's ready-rubbed, so packing was a breeze. Mine came to me at a perfect moisture level. It lit easy enough, and I think I relit once in the hour it took me to smoke my first bowl. Nice thick smoke, which matched what I will call a dense flavor, rather than an airy one (if that makes sense to anyone but me).
Was it the best red virginia I've had? Nope. But it was good. A solid 3 stars, maybe even 3.5 stars. But based on the cost, it's a spectacular value. Buy it by the pound and the price is currently $3.12 an ounce. And that's one of the best tobaccos you'll get for $3.12 an ounce.
I didn't get any tongue bite, but I'm pretty decent at smoking slow. With red virginias you're always taking a risk with your tongue. Straight Virginias also don't provide big nicotine kicks, so you'll miss that if that's what you're after.
So if you've gone through all the tins of virginias out there and you've never ordered a couple ounces of 5100, you owe it to yourself to add some to your next order.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
For sure

I keep a solid 8 ounces on hand to throw in other blends too. Boring VA or a drab English...a small pinch and you might have a good time...Add a little to a bitey blend and it dulls the teeth

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lovely stuff, all by itself or in home mixes. It has a subtle complexity all its own. Don't mind the ketchup smell in the jar; just light it up and all will be revealed.

Good review!

It stoves really well in a tall narrow pipe as well. I also get compliments on the room note and the aroma that follows me after smoking it. I hear it being called "pipey" smelling. If you like it, you might try H&H Aniversary Cake for a great bulk VaPer along the same level of flavor with just a tad more nicotine. Also, try some McClelland Top Hat, which tastes exactly like Red Cake with a good dose of perique added, but it comes in tins, no bulk.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
One of my top choices as well. 10-12 oz stored away in the cellar. I tell my wife it is marinating.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the review, jmatt. I love 5100 - it has a great taste and is a very easy smoke. I'm also a big fan of Anniversary Cake; they both have a bit of spice, which keep things interesting.
Andy

Mar 1, 2014
I didn't get anything really tangy from McClelland until my second sample of 2015.

I'm not sure if it's just me but my first samples of 2015 and 2100 were just starchy, and then the second batch of 2015 that I tried has a very sharp smell that actually translates into the smoke. I have no idea what the difference between the samples is. Maybe the others just weren't aged enough?

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone.
I definitely agree about Russ' Anniversary Cake. I've got about a pound if it stored up, and it occupies one of my always-open short term tobacco jars. I hadn't thought about it, but yes, I'd say Anniversary Cake is to Vapers what 5100 is to straight Virginia. It's not my favorite. Doesn't knock my socks off. But it's a great smoke, no fuss lighting, no fuss packing, burns great, tastes great. And it's a spectacular overall value for VaPer fans. I definitely keep it on hand as well.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yeah, I try not to run out of 5100, for all the reasons stated above, consistently enjoyable on its own, and also a great base for any mixes I might throw together.
Isaac

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I like it fresh, but it is special with a year or two of age. I'm smoking some now that was jarred back in '09 and it's amazing.
Very good review. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.