PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
The "get it while you can" hysteria apparently isn't restricted to fine pipe tobacco. Check out the run on one of the worst candies still in production -- Necco wafers.
I loved Necco wafers ever since childhood and made it a routine to buy a bag of hearts at Valentine's every year. This Valentine's, I broke a tooth while crunching them, so GOOD RIDDANCE, Necco. You will always and forever be not so fondly remembered as the candy that shattered my tooth.
Now, back to my bowl of Frog Morton Cellar.............;-)

chperry01

Lurker
Apr 28, 2018
I have 5100 in mason jars from 2004 and 2005. Stored in a cool, dark, closet. It is a shame that the source of good red Virginia dried up like it did. I know one friend who has about 15 pounds of 5100 in jars. He always feared this day would come.

It is a shame that the source of good red Virginia dried up like it did.

Ugggg.... how many times does Greg Pease, Russ Oellete, and all of C&D’s staff have to post online, across every medium that Red Virginias are not dried up, before people stop posting this? The McNiels merely couldn’t find a fit for their mere one blend out of 7,000 blends available in the US. They posted a poorly worded message, and now people walk around saying Red Virginias dried up. WTF? Ha ha, this will be their legacy, to start a rumor that out of the largest tobacco crop seed grown in the world, it is disappearing. This is like saying corn is drying up in the US, or tomatoes are facing extinction. :puffy:

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Ugggg.... how many times does Greg Pease, Russ Oellete, and all of C&D’s staff have to post online, across every medium that Red Virginias are not dried up, before people stop posting this?
And here's maybe the answer to the thread on why Greg doesn't post as often on pipe forums.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed a good deep bowl of McClellands 5100, to my great enjoyment, in a straight rusticated bamboo shank Dublin by the late great Bob Hayes, the N.C. award-winning carver, a homage to stars of the pipe smoking world.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Ugggg.... how many times does Greg Pease, Russ Oellete, and all of C&D’s staff have to post online, across every medium that Red Virginias are not dried up, before people stop posting this?
Apparently, more than they are. Here's what's on McCranie's website today under McClelland:
The McClelland Tobacco Company has closed after 40 years. The availability of red Virginia tobacco that formed the basis of the McClelland brand is largely a thing of the past. Without this key ingredient, it became impossible for McClelland to continue the flavors that have been their hallmark.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, that's a bit misleading. From what I've been given to understand, McClelland like to use the bottom leaf, which was more labor intensive to harvest separately, and that kind of specialization was becoming unavailable. They weren't finding the leaf that they particularly wanted for their blends, which is not the same thing as there being no leaf at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just caught Cosmic's cosmic monograph on enjoying life in tobacco land. Good stuff.
Only caveat would be don''t cellar masses of unicorns that you've not tried or that cost a mint. (and not Necco mints, either)

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
The MCClelland Pipe Tobacco Fans page on facebook is worth a look.

The aged 5100 I got was reasonably priced, considering the craze, and there is still almost 3lbs available from the seller right now.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Hey guys, first time I've posted in MONTHS.
So, I bought a house about 8 weeks ago (my first home purchase). In the process of packing up the cellar for the move, I found a jar of red cake 5100 from 2014. Having not smoked any in a long while, and remembering how much I enjoyed it, I cracked that jar open and dug in! Just a few short weeks later, it was all gone!
So I went online to order more ... AND IT'S GONE! I went googling to try and find some, no luck. That's when I came to the forum and saw this thread.
I'm heartbroken! Another great blend gone the way of the dinosaur!
And what's this I hear about Dunhill blends going away? Jeez, no more Dunhill Flake either!!!
At least there's still OGS (and about a million other blends).
I'll raise a glass, and a bowl, to another fallen blend...

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
nQAVRNA.jpg

2004 5100

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
@coyja,
2004? I'd have thought it would be much darker coloured with almost 14yrs.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If you have your opportunity to try a McClellands do it. Smoke what you have. Saving a single tin or jar of something you haven't tried and can never have again, IS INSANITY!!! Pop that cherry, and savor those gifts from the GODS.
Inspiring words, cherry popped! Gifts currently being savoured.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
2004? I'd have thought it would be much darker coloured with almost 14yrs.

24 hrs later (photo taken yesterday) all those very bright reds are gone.

Cosmic recently posted in another thread how as soon as you pop older tobacco the introduction of oxygen has a very quick response. Its definitely darkened up and I'll take another look later today to see if its continued to deepen.
y1b4DLV.jpg

I'm kind of on the fence so far about this tobacco.

Its lightly sweet, and a pleasant smoke, but I'm not getting a ton of flavor like I'd expect.

Going to give it a bit, maybe it needs a little time after having been bottled up for 14 years.

(It literally jumped out of the jar from pressure when I opened it)

Status
Not open for further replies.