PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Today I opened an old mason jar, probably from 2009/10 with 5100 in it. Loaded a bowl in a Al Birinci Meerschaum, went in the garage and smoked. I must of said WOW to myself three or four dozen times. I think it's about time we start a formal petition to get the McNeils back in the business. The art school and the Kansas zoo can do without them, they are tobacco geniuses!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Enjoy it as an homage to the past. The McNeils have moved on with their next stage in life, and McClelland is gone. So many other tobaccos left to discover. Find a favorite and stock up before it is gone as well.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
With so many blends out there, the challenge is knowing when you've found your favourite, and not just a favourite for now...

When people were shuffling their feet over trying a blend that we were having to get together a forum bulk order and getting from some Asian country, I don't even remember what blend it was. But, the idea was that we would all try it. But, there was this whole group of guys that were like, "what's the point of we can't continually get it, or buy enough to smoke all the time?"

If you get a chance to smoke something rare, do it. You don't have to smoke something all of the time to enjoy it. Sometimes the experience of just having smoked it once is enough, even if you long for it for the rest of your life, that is a beautiful part of the human soul, a quiet suffering. Like the soul in a beautiful blues song. The part of a painting that we relate to, or the way a certain group of words in a poem "touches" us. It is the essence of beauty, the thorn on the rose.
If you had the opportunity to spend one hour in the arms of the most beautiful woman in your eyes, would you refuse, because you couldn't "have her" forever? Is it better to have loved and lost, than to have never... Isn't it ALWAYS better to regret what you have done, than what you did not do?
I rest my case gentlemen. If you have your opportunity to try a McClellands do it. Smoke what you have. Saving a single tin or jar of something you haven't tried and can never have again, IS INSANITY!!! Pop that cherry, and savor those gifts from the GODS. It is why we are alive, to enjoy these gifts, the bounty of our blessings. Gather them rosebuds. Take life by the gusto.

And, when it is all gone. You will be inebriated on memories, and we can all long, pine, and commiserate in what was... we will have the makings of a beautiful song. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have part of a small jar of 5100 left, and I plan to enjoy it with savor. The McNeils made their mark! There are many wonderful Virginias around still, so I will enjoy those as well.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Whoa, my mind was just blown reading the Necco story. I literally just finished a pound of those last week, one of my all time favorites next to black licorice. But if they truly shut the doors, I'll think I'll be okay.
I haven't had (and probably never will) try 5100. I am okay with that. What I will do is savor and enjoy what little discontinued tobacco I do have, but I'll finish my 30 plus open jars before I do. Just give it a little age to the tobacco before I do, to carry the analogy, and make sure it is "of age" before I pop that cherry.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Necco wafers were only ever good as B.B. gun targets but they certainly had a following as a candy as well.
Smoke your McClelland and enjoy it. Be happy we got the chance to enjoy it. Find new favorites and cellar some.
Tobacco will never be cheaper or more easily available.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Can't beat 5100 for an all day smoke. Now that it is gone, it will be something that I treasure and only smoke it occasionally. Glad I bulked up on it in the cellar.

For me now..it is Condor long cut and Plug.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I think there needs to be a 'Pipe Smokers Mission Statement' that encompass what Cosmic wrote. Very well put.
I have a jar with about 1lb 5100 that I'll smoke from every now and again over the next couple of years. There's nothing you can do about 5100 or any of the McClelland blends now. You can attempt to stop the same feeling of remorse in the future by stocking up on as many of your favorite tobaccos as you can. Go deep on things that come from smaller producers and that will age well over extended periods.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just came here to say, I freakin’ love Cosmic’s posts! He is a wise man (I’m dead serious) with great humor. Cos, you’re the reason why I keep peaking my head back in. Keep up with the hilarity and the wise words. :worship:

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
If you had the opportunity to spend one hour in the arms of the most beautiful woman in your eyes, would you refuse, because you couldn't "have her" forever? Is it better to have loved and lost, than to have never... Isn't it ALWAYS better to regret what you have done, than what you did not do?
You are right. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.