Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Iv just received my McArther straight corn cob pipe from Missouri Meerschaum, i brought it just on the strength of the looks and the history of how the corn cob came about, such a simple,great looking,elegant and fairly large pipe and for vary reasonable money in my eyes, looking forward to firing her up, just wanted to here some experiences from you guys on them if you possess one, what sort of time scale before burning one of these mothers out!

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hope you enjoy it! Let us know how it is!

I just ordered one from MM this weekend and I can't wait to hold that beast and smoke from it.

I also ordered a country gentleman.

Cheers!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
aaronbear, if your goal is to actually burn it out, I'm sure you'll find some way to do it fairly quickly. On the other hand, if you treat it properly, it should last you for decades.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I have never burnt one out yet. My oldest cob looks like its through a war but works great. You will love it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
My first pipe was a cob, ive smoked it literally hundreds of times, you treat it right and it will last for years and years

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sadly, I no longer have my first cob (it has a diamond shank). I do have a 30 year old cob though, as well as an old recently acquired unsmoked estate cob and a new 5th Avenue Diplomat. They probably see more use than any of my briars, since I puff them while doing yardwork, working on the Honda, or on breaks here on the rig.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Likewise, I just smoked my first Corn Cob last week. It was a MM " Country Gentleman" and it was one of the best smokes I've had in a long time. Was thinking of getting another so may have to look at the "McArthur" after I hear your review about it.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Nice choice! I love Missouri Meerschaums, they are what I smoke 99% of the time. I'm smoking one of their hardwoods in my avatar picture. Let us know how well it smokes! :)
As for the life of these pipes, I've been puffing one for a long time and it's holding up great. Cobs do tend to absorb some of the moisture from the smoke, swell up and develop cracks from what I've heard. Mine is getting a nice color though. Can't tell when it will give, but I plan to smoke this thing to the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.