PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I only have two pounds of ODF put up so far, so I bought a couple plugs to throw on the pile. I figured what the hell, might as well buy the same thing for more money. Plus, the tins are numbered! C'mon, how am I supposed to resist that? Lucky bastard who gets tin #666 is going to clean up on the secondary market with pipe-smoking Satanists (who, as we all know, are outrageously wealthy despite the upkeep on their castles and tapestries and whatnot).
having to pay an extra $2/tin for the privilege of slicing it into flakes

It's like a tobacco dude ranch! Or an unpaid tobacco internship!

Reactions: hawky454

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Couldn't resist, though I swore I wouldn't fall for another limited edition. I bought two. That said, the limited edition Squadron Leader was fantastic.

pharmpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2019
I missed the limited Squadron Leader so I picked up 7 of these. Pretty sure that means I'm winning the second round.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I would expect the plugs to be at least a little different. I suspect the flavor and aging "curves" split off the moment the plugs are sliced. Is it weird that you get to pay an extra 2 bucks when it seems like the only difference is one less step for the manufacturer? Well, yeah, it is. That said, if it was a Bold Kentucky plug, I'd be all over it. And if the response is good, I could see this becoming a regular release, as it doesn't seem to rely on a limited availability component.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Joking aside - yeah, danimalia,I have no doubt it will be quite different from the other cuts, and maybe before very long. I might be imagining it, but the ready rubbed and the flake seem quite different to me, even with less than a year on them. The RR is much sweeter to me, more chocolaty, and less sour. I imagine I'll end up giving them as gifts, but if not, I'm not opening my tins anytime soon, that's for sure. Plus, I bet it will look really cool. The pound slabs are so beautiful I had to take a picture of the first one I got. And anyways, more ODF in the world - what could be wrong with that?
odf-lb-450x600.jpg

Reactions: lightmybriar

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
I wish I hadn't just laid down a pound of the flake in the cellar. I'm going to have to pass on this one :(

P

pipebuddy

Even if the tobacco is available in flake and ready-rubbed formats, the plug will still yield a different flavor profile, believe it or not. It will also age differently than the other formats.

And the fun part is playing with the plug, which we love doing because according to Freud, smokers have not overcome their anal phase.
So, better play with our tobacco than...well, you know. :rofl: :mrgreen: :lol:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
+1 to pipebuddy
I jumped on this one! Any tobacco is better (or at least different) in plug form.
I'll let the guys who like tools and playing with knives have at the plugs.
-Cosmic

Yes please!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
So, better play with our tobacco than...well, you know. :rofl: :mrgreen: :lol:
Yes, hahaha, better... :oops:
The first plug I ever bought I swore I'd never buy another. I couldn't slice the damn thing to save my life. I'm not a knife guy, and even my sharpest knives didn't seem to cut well. Then I got turned on to the cigar cutter method, and I never looked back. It might take me 30 seconds to shave enough tobacco off for a bowl. A cheapie double-bladed guillotine has lasted through quite a few plugs and is still going strong.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Despite of all valuable information given above I perhaps will refrain from buying this stuff,mainly because this will never ever be available in Europe,moreover should I want to play with them old fashion plugs we have some G&H offerings to choose from (to get those I must take a border-crossing trip to collect my preordered stuff,)and Yes the Old Dark Fired by Mc Barens is one that I truly love

P

pipebuddy

I'm actually excited to see how a Mac Baren Plug - their very first one- will compare to others made by STG, SG C & D and G & H.

Reactions: seanv and hawky454

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Just asked my father to order me 7 tins. I won't be able to try it until May, when I'm next home for a visit. Told him to keep one tin for himself. Living in the UK sucks sometimes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Good points, on the extra effort. Not for me. I don't even " cube cut" my flakes. More like smash and rip.
I literally don't even eat food that takes effort. Anything with a bone in it I pass on. Or too much fat. Nope. Just gimme a cheeseburger.

Status
Not open for further replies.