PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

goosetime

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2019
Kansas City, MO
A beautiful sea rock! I will post my short shank sea rock billiard when I get home. I love Castellos for their exceptionally wide draw.

I also have a Caminetto bent egg I can post. Also have a Molina horn, my cheapest pipe, but one of my better smokers and feels great in the hand.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Cool. I am new and wish I had $1000 to just spend in pipes. I already want like 10 that are $50 - $150 much less expenssive ones. Of course I am using cobs until I know the pipe is long term.
I remember buying my first good pipe. I had been piping for about 12 yrs maybe at the time. It was a silver banded Peterson donegal rocky 606. It was around $100, and I felt buyers remorse after I bought it bc of the price. It smoked so much better than my dr grabow, I eventually let it go and never looked back.

If you do latch onto the pipe, spend a little extra and treat yourself to one good one a year. That’s what I do personally. I just lucked out getting Amazon cards as Christmas tips and got two this year. The difference in price between a decent pipe and a good pipe isn’t that much compared to the increase in performance. The same goes for a good pipe and a great pipe. The jump from greatness to excellence is still a bit wide looking for me though lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pricey ones are treasures, and sometimes the modestly priced pipes smoke as well, which is a fine surprise.

Reactions: monty55

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cool. I am new and wish I had $1000 to just spend in pipes. I already want like 10 that are $50 - $150 much less expenssive ones. Of course I am using cobs until I know the pipe is long term.
No need for that kind of expense. You can easily get commission work between $200-$500. Sometimes we just get a little silly and drop the big bucks.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I’ll second the post from chasingembers. There are a lot of great pipes at significantly lower prices. Both hand and factory made. There are numerous pipe carvers that produce great smoking pipes at half the price of Castello. Factory pipes from Peterson and savinelli are great in the $100+ range. And for semi-factory pipes, I’d like to say I love Briarworks pipes at around $100.

goosetime

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2019
Kansas City, MO
I’ll second the post from chasingembers. There are a lot of great pipes at significantly lower prices. Both hand and factory made. There are numerous pipe carvers that produce great smoking pipes at half the price of Castello. Factory pipes from Peterson and savinelli are great in the $100+ range. And for semi-factory pipes, I’d like to say I love Briarworks pipes at around $100.
Do you have any briarworks pipes? I have looked at a few at my local store and none of them were really drilled in a way I like. Some excellent designs tho--I just wasn't sure how they would smoke.

Reactions: ofafeather

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Do you have any briarworks pipes? I have looked at a few at my local store and none of them were really drilled in a way I like. Some excellent designs tho--I just wasn't sure how they would smoke.
I have three at the moment. They smoke well in my experience. They are designed at least by higher end pipe makers, so the design and engineering are really good. The fit is pretty good too. However, the briar is not the most exquisite pieces and the finishing isn’t meticulous. At least not in the blasted lines. That’s how they keep the price down. Hard to beat in that range though, I would recommend them to a friend.