PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
My Mixture No. 965, described in the 1928 "About Smoke" catalogue as "the finest Mixture ever produced"--maybe. Or at least if I were an "oligarch" keen to dazzle my friends the next St Petersburg pipe club evening. While perhaps, also convincing myself it was decent value compared to a bottle of Chateau Latour 1929 (and a give-away bargain beside a case of Petrus 1990).

And yes, pure Virginias do age well. And so, if three is good, surely ninety-three must be better.

But REALLY?

Dunhill 3 year Virginia .jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If the 'cutter top tin' is un-compromised then contents will have survived and be smokable but will fade pretty fast. Ashdigger did a bunch of tastings of ancient tins a few years ago as I used to source them for him from a friend in the U.K in the demolition trade. They were either brilliant or not. I have three 'cutter top' tins of Rattray's kicking around that are as good as the day they left the factory. I am sure the contents are brilliant and fresh but I have no interest in opening them. I don't think I ever paid more than $30 a tin when I was looking for them apart from one very special can that apparently tasted like stewed fruit - Capstan Blue from the 1930s!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I think 18-20 of the wealthiest pipesmagazine members should collaborate and buy this tin, each smoke a bowl, and let us know if it was worth it.... ??

Reactions: guylesss
Status
Not open for further replies.