PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
So, I am a lifelong English / Scottish style enthusiast and am looking to expand my horizons. What do you all recommend for a full flavored, strong lightly topped or cased blend for a latakia fan to look into? I am not interested in any of the full-on aros. Rather give a quality, lightly flavored blend a try.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
So, I am a lifelong English / Scottish style enthusiast and am looking to expand my horizons. What do you all recommend for a full flavored, strong lightly topped or cased blend for a latakia fan to look into? I am not interested in any of the full-on aros. Rather give a quality, lightly flavored blend a try.
Gawith and Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake.

The toppings are definitely present, but the tobacco backbone is good enough that i could throughly enjoy it when all I was smoking were Lat bombs. Quiet Nights was my all time favorite when I first tried Bob's Chocolate Flake. I immediately fell in love with it and would smoke at least a bowl a week as sweet snack if you will.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hard to answer - Presbyterian Reformation, WCC Deluxe Crumb Cut, Wilke Lizzie Blood Red English - just don't know what you want or like for topping and how much latakia, but those come to mind, but doubtless will see many more suggested. I guess I wouldn't put those in the Scottish category, so again, not sure what you are looking for.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Peter Stokkobye English Oriental Supreme is easy to get exotic, Esoterica Pembroke is kind of boozy and harder to get but pretty good, they step out of the common English mold when you want something a bit different.

Reactions: badbriar

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Gawith and Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake.

The toppings are definitely present, but the tobacco backbone is good enough that i could throughly enjoy it when all I was smoking were Lat bombs. Quiet Nights was my all time favorite when I first tried Bob's Chocolate Flake. I immediately fell in love with it and would smoke at least a bowl a week as sweet snack if you will.
Agree with Quiet Nights - great stuff!
I'll give Bob's a try - thanks!

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
+1 on VooDoo Queen. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but once I realized it was like drinking hot chocolate with a pinch of cinnamon next to a campfire, I started to really dig it.
Huh...I completely forgot that I have 8 oz of this cellared from 2021. Picked it up during a Sutliff sale, jarred it, and never smoked it. Guess what I'm smoking next....I'll give my thoughts in about an hour or so.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Another vote for HH latakia flake. Tasty with plenty of lat but many other flavors throughout the smoke. It has a nice sweetness that doesn’t feel fake. Im putting more on order.

Reactions: Scottmi
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you can find it, Esotercia Pembroke is a great blend. Esoterica Margate is the same tobacco only it doesn't have the Cognac topping like Pembroke does.

If it was still around, I would say McClelland's - Frog Morton Cellar. You can find it on secondary markets, but the asking price can be high as it's a discontinued blend.

I also recommend Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. That's one of my favorites. GL Pease Quiet Nights is also a great choice.