PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Which ever one I feel like using at the time. Though I think I should put my matches in something as we're getting into the humid months here. As I usually smoke outside I find myself using a zippo more often. As for matches I use the diamond green. Don't really notice a difference when lighting up with either.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I use Diamond Green Tip matches in either the box of kitchen matches or the 32 count pocket size boxes.
I let them burn a little before lighting the tobacco and never get any off flavors from the matches in the lightup.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I often use a lighter for convenience, but I find a sulfur-free match allows me to taste some interesting hints on the top notes that I can't taste with a lighter. My local B&M carries Arango Cigar Matches and I've heard Swan Vesta makes a similar product. The matches are so long I normally break off the unburnt part and put it in the box. Then I light the stick with a lighter and use the burning wood to light my pipe.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I like using wooden matches. Someone about five months ago said, "Try this butane jet lighter." I did and scorched the rim. Nuts. Should have known better.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
I use Diamond Greenlight matches unless it is blowing heavily, then its time for a bic. I used to use an old Colibri pipe lighter from my Grandfather but the thing started to constantly leak fluid, so it had to be retired.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
+1 for the Diamond Greenlight matches - they're about all I can find anymore. I'd prefer some strike-anywhere matches (I've got a nifty metal container to carry them in), but evidently they're harder to ship, so most stores just go with the safety matches.
Will be picking up a Zippo sometime this month - with the wind in this state, I go through an awful lot of matches... :D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My box resides in this tupperware container....shhh....don't tell Mrs. Jones where I found it. One box lasts me a couple of months, it stays outside on the patio.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
When I started smoking pipes, I would use the same cedarwood matches I used for my cigars. These were pretty long however, and much of each match was wasted due to the 'false light,' seeing as two matches would be required anyway. Therefore I changed to regular size safety matches, observing the same 'rule' I used for cigar smoking - allow the ignition flare to subside and a steady flame to form before applying the match to the tobacco. Finally, around two years back, I acquired an inexpensive pipe lighter, using Ronson butane gas. This is smell- and taste free, so I apply it to the tobbacco immediately.
All of these methods worked, and worked well. The cedarwood is a bit of a waste as the match format is not intended or suitable for pipe smoking. Matches are a good option, though the lighter offers the most hassle-free way of lighting the pipe, and its small size makes it more portable - and it is more durable - than a box of matches.
All the methods seemed equivalent for me with regards to the taste and heat level of the smoke.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Found these online. Seemed pretty resonable. http://www.cigars-now.com/cigar-accessories/cigar-matches.html

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Easterntravler, cigar matches are usually made from cedar which makes for weird and overpowering taste while lighting a pipe. Although that link you have doesn't seem I say if there cedar matches or not, I would ask.
For me personally I use diamond with the green tips, let the flare die down before lighting to keep from tasting the sulphur. Although some cant seem to notice the difference I can taste the difference when using a match and using a bic, although I still use bics when I'm outside.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
What kind of store sells strike any where matches?

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I used to use a Bic type lighter all the time, thought it was most convenient. However, I found some Mexican matches called Maya Matches which were recommended by someone here. I use them exclusively now. They are found down here in Texas at HEB grocery stores. They are made on cactus quills and burn just right. Seem to burn a little slower than wood. They also have a bit more phosphorus than most matches I have found and pop to a bright flame immediately. The flame stays concentrated at the tip longer and provides me a perfect light. Only 27 cents for 10 boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.