PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Recently I have been using matches to light my pipe. Huge success! I believe my pipe smokes cooler; especially when lighting it. When I use a lighter to light my pipe my tongue gets a little hot. This doesn't happen with matches. Anyway I use run of the mill matches. Nothing special but I am curious if any uses any particular brand or type of matches such as strike anywhere or sulfur free?

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I recently got some of the new Diamond "Greenlight" kitchen matches, and they work great. They burn even slower than the regular diamond matches. I also use a zippo pipe lighter on occation.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I use a zippo pipe lighter as well. Fueled by zippo. Any other fluid and you run the risk of tainting your tobacco or so I've been told.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a match fan as well, for all the reasons you cited plus I think they are easier on my bowl tops. I use Diamond Green strike-on box matches as well, I buy the 3 packs at my Food Lion. I keep them in a small Rubbermaid container on my patio/workshop so they don't get soggy.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Any other fluid and you run the risk of tainting your tobacco or so I've been told.
@juptierspipe - I've used the Rosonol fuel in my zippo and Zippo fuel in my Ronson. I could never tell the difference except that the Zippo fuel has slightly less of a fuel scent when you just light the lighter. With Rosonol, it lasts about a second longer. But, if you just let the lighter burn a bit before you use it, it goes away. Plus, to get that lighter fuel scent with Zippo fluid, they had to make the fuel much more volatile (it evaporates much faster). So, if you aren't using the lighter constantly, Rosonol is the better choice economically (because it will last much longer in the lighter than the Zippo fluid before evaporating).
Anyway, Ronsonol and Zippo fluid can't be that different, they are all made by the Zippo company now (at least in North America).

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Matches are what highbrow pipe smokers use always, unless it's outside and it's blowing, then I'll use a bic.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I used to smoke with a lighter all the time for the convenience but had switched to matches a long time ago and haven't looked back. I definitely feel it smokes much cooler and matches typically burn at a much lower temperature than lighters. I use wooden matches and just let the sulfer burn off first. I don't know the brand of matches.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
@oklansas- I was wondering why I was constantly filling my zippo up,once a week for sure, though I just smoked a lot! Good info on the fluid thank you sir.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
@oklansas- I was wondering why I was constantly filling my zippo up,once a week for sure, though I just smoked a lot! Good info on the fluid thank you sir.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I like to use the Diamond kitchen matches. However, I have to smoke on the patio and our backyard is open and often gets too windy so I am forced to use my Zippo lighter. I prefer wooden matches when I use them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use one of my two IM Corona lighters because they both have a built in tamper. I will use my Zippo outside only not a fan of the flame on them for regular use. I gave up on matches years ago. I did not find them to give me any type of cooler light and they are just too much of a pain. I once bought a bunch of the Vesta matches but they ended up going bad on me. They are useless in the humidity of Florida.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Match guy all the way - Diamond matches are great. Swan Vestas are also good, but harder to find and a bit pricey.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I use Diamond Green Strike matches most days. When I'm driving at work I just use a bic for relights.
Djeep are still my favorite disposable lighters.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I have a zippo I use a lot, with whatever fluid I can find, usually Ronson. Other than that I use matches or bics. Nothing fancy with matches, for the past few months its been Red Bird strike anywhere matches because I bought a pack of ten. I'll use simple paper matches or non strike anywhere ones, whatever I have. If it has a flame, its good enough for me.
But I also find I get a MUCH better and thorough charring light/first couple lights to get it going, unless of course its windy, matches are useless then.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
wind is always blowing... have a JetLine pipe lighter that works pretty good and has a pipe tool on it as well. snob or no snob, i have burnt my hand too many times trying to light with a match in the wind, and when I say too many it was about 2 before I said a lighter will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.