PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Has anyone seen the ad from Pipes and Cigars.com regarding 'Match for Sobranie 759'?
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/search/?q=MATCH+Balkan+Sobranie+759
Has anyone tried it?
I thought that Blackhouse was Russ' match to the old 759.
PS. My apologies if this has been discussed before. I have been out for the month of December because of work.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haven't tried it (I think it's just come out), but I had the same thought as you regarding Black House.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Having never smoked either, it will be a "good" or "not good" vote for me. Could be a match for Condor, as far as I will know.
I do have a can of Sobranie (recent production)in my cellar. Haven't had any desire to open it.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Yeah. Nothing will be, Gallaher couldn't/wouldn't (cost?) replicate the original even with the recipe. I heard "secret" to the Sobranie House taste was a tea like herbal bouquet they steeped in the water they used to steam the whole leaves that was never shared. 8O

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yeah. Nothing will be, Gallaher couldn't/wouldn't (cost?) replicate the original even with the recipe. I heard "secret" to the Sobranie House taste was a tea like herbal bouquet they steeped in the water they used to steam the whole leaves that was never shared. 8O
I've only smoked a few bowls of the original BS white, but it seems clear to me that there is a "sauce" that gives it the oomph it has -- it's not just the underlying tobaccos. I say that based purely on the taste, which reminded me of something vaguely like the sauces used for St Bruno and Capstan. However, I had never heard the rumor about an herbal tea-like flavoring that was used, so that's very interesting.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Lol. Well now, thanks to Condor, we can put that whole topic to bed. I will never have to spend my son's college money chasing a tn of the stuff since it's horrible!
Thanks!!
:lol:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
LOL Simon! Given your chosen (and only) blend is Condor with a side of whatever's the strongest rope/twist/tambo you have handy, I think your opinion of the taste should be set aside as unreliable. :D I confess I loved 759 and just wished I'd known then what I was taking for granted!
Andy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
But Andy it was 30/- or thirty bob a tin in those days chum especially if you got it from the lady in the kiosk in Liverpool Street Station before you headed down to the Underground between platforms 7 and 9 or from Thurgoods by London Wall. It still tasted like you were smoking a swan fart or a used sanitary towel. Honestly I heard about the story of the rare teas and herbs and concluded they used the contents of Ozzy Osbournes ash tray after Keith Richards had been over for a few beers and a couple of lines of Columbian drumming powder.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Honestly I heard about the story of the rare teas and herbs and concluded they used the contents of Ozzy Osbournes ash tray after Keith Richards had been over for a few beers and a couple of lines of Columbian drumming powder.
SHIT! I missed that night! I woulda brought the swan fart...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I do have a can of Sobranie (recent production)in my cellar
That's the continuation of Sobranie Original (white tin). These folks are talking about Sobranie 759 (black tin).

Status
Not open for further replies.