PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I suppose to some Mastercraft are cheap pipes which are really nothing special. Most sell at really low, low prices. I cannot say that after receiving this one in the mail. It came in a dirty mess of a shape. Char fully covering the rim and the bowl so full of cake you couldn't get your little finger in the bowl. This pipe had a orange shellac finish to the point it looked so glossy and just that, orange. You could not see any grain through all that shellac.
After sanding off the original finish then re-staining then adding a coat of Carnauba wax followed by a good buffing this is what I ended up with. Now, you might so oh well, yeah it's a pipe. I personally think it has very nice grain. I still have more work ahead of me on the stem. I just wish I'd taken some before images like I normally do to let you see the difference. I've devoted this pipe to a few Stokkebye aromatics I enjoy. She's been smoking Stokkebye Black Dansk like a true champ! Smokes as good as some of my higher dollar pipes. Not sure what you'd call this shape.
Mastercraft Originals Virgin, 1984 Italy pipe
mcc1.jpg

mcc3.jpg

mcc5.jpg

mcc4.jpg

mcc9.jpg

mcc10.jpg

mcc6.jpg

mcc7.jpg

mcc12.jpg

mcc8.jpg

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I have a good number of Mastercraft. Most are marked Algerian briar. Grain varies all over the board but I've some nice ones similar to your pipe. I think they represent a solid value. I put a thread from a forum on Pipedia that tells the MC story. It quite interesting. Their last U.S. owner was Grabow.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Mastercraft

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks guys for the comments and to rothnh for pointing out the rounding due to buffing. Not sure how it happaned since I left the stem on while buffing. Interesting.
I put a thread from a forum on Pipedia that tells the MC story. It quite interesting. Their last U.S. owner was Grabow.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Mastercraft
Thanks jkenp, that's going to be a rather interesting read. Very informative! :)

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Nice pipe, and MC pipes are great pipes they are cheap and smoke great, congrats.

~Ron

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's a nice M/C! They did have some interesting shapes in the "Originals" line. I once had a "Pickaxe" style that could have been used as a weapon!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I think it's a great looking pipe Durham! You did an excellent job, as usual! The grain is very unusual, Birdseye on one side, flame on the other, now there's something you don't see very often!

Status
Not open for further replies.