Massachusetts Flavored Tobacco Ban Cont.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Any update to this? Last I heard it was on the governor's desk waiting to be signed, I find it interesting its been there a few weeks and he still hasn't signed it. Maybe these things move slower than I figured.

Last edited:

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Well, it’s done, it’s law. I live in Mass. I’m wondering; does anyone know or have an educated guess of how the gray areas around “flavored” will effect non-aros? I read the law and it says any tobacco that describes the taste in it’s description. For pipes that’s everything even if they aren’t cased. Either way, it’s not good. This is the last gasp for this state. Gotta make friends with folks in the border towns for any shipping of spices I might need for my recipes.

• Angry
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Well, it’s done, it’s law. I live in Mass. I’m wondering; does anyone know or have an educated guess of how the gray areas around “flavored” will effect non-aros? I read the law and it says any tobacco that describes the taste in it’s description. For pipes that’s everything even if they aren’t cased. Either way, it’s not good. This is the last gasp for this state. Gotta make friends with folks in the border towns for any shipping of spices I might need for my recipes.

This is a copy and paste of my post from the previous thread which was closed. May be wishful thinking but the way I interpret the wording it shouldn't affect non aros.

From part of the bill found here https://malegislature.gov/Bills/191/H4089

"Section 28. (a) As used in this section, the following words shall have the following
4 meanings unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
5 “Characterizing Flavor”, a distinguishable taste or aroma, other than the taste or aroma of
6 tobacco, imparted or detectable either prior to or during consumption of a tobacco product or
7 component part thereof, including but not limited to, a taste or aroma relating to any fruit,
8 chocolate, vanilla, honey, candy, cocoa, dessert, alcoholic beverage, menthol, mint, wintergreen,
9 herb or spice; provided, however, that no tobacco product shall be determined to have a
10 characterizing flavor solely because of the provision of ingredient information or the use of
11 additives or flavorings that do not contribute to the distinguishable taste or aroma of the product."

To me the last three paragraphs means that toppings that dont impart a "distinguishable" flavor aren't included in the provision. Therefore non aromatics arent included even though they may still be lightly topped with something.

• Sad
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
All an aromatic company would have to do is just keep the same product, but just remove all references to food or flavor from the outside. I was at The Briary last night, and I was perusing the new Lane tins and some other new aromatic tins, and asked what the flavors were. They just shrugged and said that there were no references to any flavors on any of the tins. Most have been doing this for a while.

My guess is the same thing that happened to cigarettes will happen, when they were told they couldn't refer to any of their products as "light". They just renamed them or removed all references to "light." There is still a Camel Light, but the package says, Camel Blue," which is stupid. But, it will save the lives of so many babies.

Paladin Cherry will just be called Paladin Red, or something just as stupid.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Maybe this will affect aros only; however, there are plenty of straight virginia blends and VaPers that have a tin note of honey or fruit.

Reactions: artvandelay007
Jun 9, 2018
England
All an aromatic company would have to do is just keep the same product, but just remove all references to food or flavor from the outside. I was at The Briary last night, and I was perusing the new Lane tins and some other new aromatic tins, and asked what the flavors were. They just shrugged and said that there were no references to any flavors on any of the tins. Most have been doing this for a while.

My guess is the same thing that happened to cigarettes will happen, when they were told they couldn't refer to any of their products as "light". They just renamed them or removed all references to "light." There is still a Camel Light, but the package says, Camel Blue," which is stupid. But, it will save the lives of so many babies.

Paladin Cherry will just be called Paladin Red, or something just as stupid.
This is what we've had in the UK for a while now Cosmic, red instead of cherry etc. If you go to mysmokingshop.co.uk and look at the Gawith ready rubbed it's quite the letter salad with just the initials, PB (peach brandy), SC (sherry & cherry), PR (plum & rum) and so on. It would be really confusing but luckily in the description for each blend it has written 'previously called black cherry' or whatever. Ludicrous really but probably worth it if (like you say) it stops one baby from picking up the pipe.
It's shame to see this happening in America, I've come to expect nonsense like this in the UK and I'm sure it's only a matter of time till we get flavour and Internet/mail order bans etc.
If they do a similar flavour ban over here that would mean an end to all Gawith's Lakelands I suppose, 200 years of tradition down the loo.
I haven't been cellaring Gawith blends much because I've been concentrating on US and German tobaccos while I still could, I might have to start remedying that fact. Sad times.

Chris

Tobacco company action figures.

Cornell and Deil could be like the wonder twins, except with overalls and long beards.

Sutliff Man wouldn't be very strong, but his costume would have very bright colors that are scratch and sniff.

Lane Man would be... maybe not a man?

Mixture 79 would just be Rodney Dangerfield.

MacBaren would just be a pitbull with a human tongue in its mouth.

GLP Man would just be rehashed Darth Vader, except when you pull the string, he would be quite entertaining and reasonable.

Gawith man would just be a very hairy man wearing grandma frilly negligee. He would be super strong, but strangely reminding us of Grandma's bathroom.

Samuel would be sort of like Gawith, except without the negligee... which might just be scarier.

Esoterica Man would... bring about fear and humility at the mere mention of his name, but he would rarely ever even show up. Most would have been removed from the package by the tin you buy the tin... you'd end up having to buy him separately on ebay for like $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.