12 Fresh Chacom Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
No high dollar pipe would change from a bright tan to a golden brown in five smokes.

View attachment 206163

They aren’t colorfast, they ain’t at all!
Van: I think this Marxman is what Bob used, to accommodate business requests for free pipes or for low value promotions. Just looking at the carvings tells you Jr. grade carvers got to cut on it. My guess is that the wood was destined for the burn pile otherwise. I am surprised he allowed the company name to go on it.

Robert Marx worked as a salesman for MasterCraft, the company that bought Marxman, well into his 70s. He was a physically fit man who went to the gym regularly and from what I read, could give Charles Atlas a run for his money in terms of body fitness.

Bob Marx was a marketing genius when it came to advertising. Why he sold his company - maybe the recession of 53 - maybe a run in with Chico - who knows - but he sold it to a non pipe making company who primarily had other factories make pipes for them under their name. MasterCraft either sold off the Marx equipment or abandoned it because it was too old and outdated. I have no idea. But that pipe you have is a Marxman only in name.

It makes me sad. My NINE Marxman pipes are ALL excellent examples of quality pipes and NONE of them show any real color slippage.

And hmmmm, why the hostility toward Dunhill, Castillo, and other "prestigious" pipes.

Ask Mr. Drysdale for a higher retainer and get yourself an upgrade in a new pipe, preferably a Castillo Sea Rock.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Is that one huge fill on the front of that pipe??

Actually it’s a humongous full.

2EF11AF8-8E2C-4F4C-8858-61AD35C4FFDD.jpeg

This may the the best smoking pipe I own, and if not some other Marxman pipes tie for the honor.

Bob Marx had a problem.

Then and today and always customers like pretty, perfect merchandise.

Yet the best smoking briar in the world, likely the best there ever was or ever could be again, came from windswept ridges in Algeria and no place else.

And the lighter, more grainy, and softer the Algerian briar was the more difficult it was to work them into pretty, perfect looking pipes.

There were pretty and perfect Marxman pipes.

AFA9B082-75BE-45CC-B5CA-79C2D2A1B331.jpeg

But never pretend they smoke as well as the top shelf soft briar ones. But then again, no other briar does, either.

5B6E6B55-7273-4B01-99D6-823B517DD806.jpeg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Okay, that pipe must never be shown on the internet again. It is just plain ugly. Ahhh. No one will want a Marxman if you keep showing that one, LOL. I think you are trying to discourage people using reverse psychology. You want all those beat up ugly pipes for yourself. No one is going to fight you for them, LOL.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Okay, that pipe must never be shown on the internet again. It is just plain ugly. Ahhh. No one will want a Marxman if you keep showing that one, LOL. I think you are trying to discourage people using reverse psychology. You want all those beat up ugly pipes for yourself. No one is going to fight you for them, LOL.

I’ve looked at pipes for sale on eBay for almost twenty years, with a self imposed guideline of $30.

Three pipes for a hundred bucks.

Many years ago I bought a bunch of Kaywoodies.

Then I discovered Lee and I’ve bought way more of them.

Tonight after the office closed we took our youngest son and his friend out to a tavern where we laughed, had great food, and Old Dad even drank a Papst Blue Ribbon, mainly to watch Mama frown.:)

The tab was $106, and twenty more for a tip.

I have a good life, I’ve been blessed with more than I ever dreamed, and I’m hoping for twenty or thirty more good years.

But I’ve been missing out.

Twenty dollar Marxman pipes are amazing.

Nothing else colors like this, in one afternoon and evening.

Before
5814EED0-1DBC-4DA4-8ADD-AA1CD59DB8D2.jpeg3324377C-CF4F-4BCE-8B47-63F5EA262006.jpeg6DABB4B7-6DF6-477E-86A6-1C25920DC385.jpeg

After six smokes

33EA730C-3FB1-4921-BAA4-127E94E8C8D0.jpegB1E64781-BFFC-4B63-87E0-1D684D911DFB.jpeg
F0E75104-E7B9-48C2-847E-D69E407E9E81.jpeg

I can reason how they color like a marshmallow.

They grew up hard and mean on a windswept Algerian hillside and were picked by wiry Algerians who climbed up the hill with an axe and a sack. It’s light, spongy, and the smoke penetrates the briar.

But I can’t explain how in the world it makes tobacco taste richer and stronger.

I’ll have to ruminate on that, awhile.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: didimauw