PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I know this is an old thread - but I do love a good martini. For my own martini, I prefer gin, and of the gin - probably my top 3: Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's (Yes, Gordon's), and Hendrick's (I'm surprised Kevin knows of it, not many do). I don't consider a vodka and vermouth a martini, it should just be called what it is, vodka and vermouth. Besides, if anybody gives you crap about drinking gin, tell them it's the original vodka, because it practically is - minus what it is fermented with, as vodka is usually potatoes or something while gin is juniper berries (which is what adorns the Gordon's bottle).
As far as shaking goes - I roll my shaker, I like mine 4 parts gin, 1 part vermouth - it rounds off the bite of gin and does not become too sweet. The reason you don't want to over ice it by shaking is because gin itself is an aromatic, if it's too cold, it simply does not taste like gin anymore. This is probably why James Bond drinks a vodka martini, as the taste of gin is something to be acquired. While we're on James Bond, have you ever had a Vesper? I tried to recreate my own, but Lillet Blanc is no longer produced and I didn't feel like buying any powdered quinine. It is however, a tasty drink if you have the alcohols to make it: 2 parts Gordon's, 1 part vodka (try using a 100 proof vodka, like Stolichnaya 100 - because it's probably the proof that James Bond during his times), 1 part Lillet, and a lemon peel twist.
Oh, and before I forget, another favorite of mine is the Manhattan, but I prefer it with Maker's Mark. It is basically a martini, but instead with whiskey and sweet vermouth (red vermouth, as opposed to the dry white vermouth) with a dash of bitters and a cherry. It is good stuff.
Happy drinking.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I like a Manhattan too onizuka.
I have made Vespers before, but I didn't know Lillet Blanc is no longer produced. I thought I had seen it on the shelves recently, but maybe it is old stock.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Haha, I typed it wrong and, I meant to say: 3 parts Gordon's. Also, it's Kina Lillet that's no longer produced, I went to my fridge and saw I still had my bottle of Lillet Blanc. I wish I could edit my old post! Hahahaha.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
For those of you that like it extra dry, try spritzing the glass with a small spray bottle or pour a cap full into the glass, roll the alcohol in the glass to coat it, then pour it out. Or you can also try pouring ice into a shaker, add the vermouth and stir it up a bit, pour out the vermouth and then add your gin of choice.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I had to explain to a bartender what a perfect martini was. he thought i was just being particular and wanted my drink made with high quality booze. when i told him what a perfect martini was as opposed to a sweet or dry martini, he made it for free.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Onizuka,

In and outs just don't taste right to me.

For my taste it's shaken, never stirred.

I suppose it's the temperature difference between a shaken martini and a stirred one.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I think they do - I just saw a recipe for Beachcomber's Gold:

1 part rum, 1/2 part sweet vermouth, 1/2 part dry vermouth.
Sounds like the perfect martini spacecowboy mentioned, but instead of gin, it's rum.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Well, as a Plymothian there is only ONE Gin and that is Plymouth Gin. And as for your bad experiences in Europe Kev, the Martini's you had were probably the fortified vermouth's whose brand name is Martini (Rossi). They have 2 sort's Dry and Sweet. Both are not very nice unless you mix them with something like Gin or Vodka and even then I'd steer well clear of them. The only people who drink Martini over here in the UK are the ladies who tend to drink it with Lemonade.
I'm not a great fan of the 'proper' Martini's, although I have given them a good testing over the years. You only get a proper one over in the States though, unless you buy the proper Vermouth and make it at home. I prefer my Martini's to be so dry, that there is no Vermouth in it at all! I do prefer a proper Royal Navy 'Pink Gin' though, of which I make a mean one. And like a Martini, there is a correct way to make it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I prefer... no martini. Ick. I'll take my Limited Reserve (18 year old) Jameson on the rocks, thanks.
-Jason

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm with Kevin and the rest of you delightful purists. I don't drink martinis often, but when I want one I will settle for nothing less than classic and perfect. The martini for me is much like the pipe is for me. It's as much an experience as it is a drink. For me its Bombay Sapphire, 2 drops of dry vermouth and 3 olives. I use 2 drops of dry vermouth and 3 olives due to the size of my preferred martini glass. Like I said, it's not just a drink, it's an experience.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
i don't think there is anything wrong with vodka and olive; however, i have been educated and will now try the gin martini. it is definately a misconception these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.