Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
... is really good.

Change my mind

In 2004 Marlin Flake was my introduction to Rattray blends. I'm still enjoying tins of Marlin Flake I cellared shortly afterward.

My enjoyment of that fabulous blend spurred my trying the rest of the quartet of Rattray's non-Latakia Virginia blends - Old Gowrie, Hal O' The Wynd, & Brown Clunee. Anyone who enjoys fine Virginia blends owes it to themselves to try all four.

The only way I would try to change your mind is to have you change "... is really good" to "... is really great"!

Reactions: krizzose and JOHN72

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Marlin Flake is a very nice VA. I grew tired of the cavendish as well. Mostly smoked HOTW. My observation is that HOTW carries the same flavors as MF, but they are much less pronounced.

A couple of weeks ago, I opened a tin of MF from 2005. It was a beautiful smoke and the cavendish had mellowed into the background.

Reactions: ram74

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
You know Marlin Flake can be infuriating. If you don’t dry it to the perfect level, keeping it lit is impossible. At least for me in the humid Florida weather. Most of the time I get spectacular smokes, but if I rush drying it, it smokes wet, hot and I get mild tongue bite. How do you all prepare MF? I fully rub it out and dry it way more than anything else I smoke.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I dry MF for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, not too long, and rub it out as much as possible. I’ve not really had a too-wet smoke, although if I leave any flake chunks in the bowl they can be a MF’er to get lit. Marlin Flake is a stellar blend!

Reactions: ram74

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I dry MF for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, not too long, and rub it out as much as possible. I’ve not really had a too-wet smoke, although if I leave any flake chunks in the bowl they can be a MF’er to get lit. Marlin Flake is a stellar blend!
I would need a blowtorch to light the MF I have if I would only dry it for 10 minutes. The batch I have is pretty wet and like you state, flake chunks are almost fire resistant. I rub it out to a fine consistency and dry it like 2 hours at least. I have the same issue with St James Plug. PITA to prepare but fantastic smokes.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I love Marlin Flake. I love all three of Rattrays Big Three Va blends, and I’m never unhappy with OG or HOTW in my pipe, but Marlin Flake is my favorite and the one I’ve chosen to cellar.

I fully rub it out, and I give it a light dry time. Definitely more than 5 min but it doesn’t need nearly as much as SJF, in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.