PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have a funny story about Mark. I emailed him recently to enquire about the measurements of a pipe on his site. He responded quickly with dimensions that he admitted were a bit elastic, and he sent along a selfie of him with two pipes in his mouth to provide a visual of how the pipe looks. Who else does that?bdw

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Harris had created an American pipe thread. It should still be around.
I have to let you know beforehand that I am contracted with Mark and Glenn to make their metalwork; star logos, bands, and windcaps. But, I wouldn’t have agreed if I didn’t believe in their product. I have two Tinskys and I have another on its way. My Tinsky bulldog is one of my favorites pipes. It smokes great, lightweight, and is a beaut.
Plus, Mark is a super nice guy, down to earth. I talk to him every other week, and I always look forward to it. He has awesome people skills.
Very cool... I've always liked that logo:

1679938320281.png

About ten years ago, I commissioned Mark to make a bent pipe inspired by the British made no name at the top of the picture below. He made it along with two stems, both of which have his logo. It's in his black and tan finish.

My first Mark Tinsky pipe was a '95 bought in '98. He's a great pipemaker, reasonably priced, and easy to deal with. I haven't yet bought a pipe from Glenn.

1679938297953.png

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Mark made a small Canadian sandblast for me several years ago. Smokes great and has colored beautifully. Light weight and perfect dimensions. He has also done some excellent restoration work for me in the past. And, as others have pointed out, a wonderful person.

Reactions: wyfbane

mpjetset

Might Stick Around
I know this is an old thread but here goes... "In praise of Mark Tinsky" was a fine old ASP theme and it apparently keeps on in tradition. What you see is what you get with him; he is one of those rare people God put on earth to bless the rest of us. Oh, yes, he also makes fine tobacco pipes by the way, and his count must be over a million by now. If you can describe a pipe to him, he'll make a good interpretation of it reading the briar he has on hand as closely as possible. He is so approachable that you feel the pipe you commissioned was made by a personal friend, and that's how he approaches his trade and his life.

Reactions: kwg116

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Back in the early 2000’s Mark used to live in PA about 20 minutes from my house. Unfortunately I never got to visit, but my good friend did and was good friends with Mark. I ended up ordering my first pipe from him in 2003, a Black and Tan poker/sitter. Still one of my favorite pipes 20 years later. I ordered a few more here and there and then commissioned a billiard in 2004. Somehow I found out Glen did the rustication on one of my pipes, so Glen did that, Mark made the pipe and the hand cut Cumberland stem and Rolando Negoita (RIP)made the silver band with engraving. Still have that pipe and I cherish it every time I smoke it. A great guy who makes affordable solid smoking pipes. I remember back in the day you could get a coral carve for $125 and send him a personal check. Those were the days.

Reactions: PaulRVA

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've owned a few over the years - the JB Hayes shop in Winchester has carried his pipes since he lived on the East coast. My only issue is he uses acrylic stems, and I'm a vulcanite fan. I do have a few acrylic stemmed pipes, including this Tinsky blast that I purchased in 2011.

Mark_Tinsky_Apple_Gallery.JPG