PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I think this turned out pretty good. Just for a peek. Has about a 3 - 4 degree cant forward

Weight is 1.5oz 42gr

Gou6KZr.jpg

j6AqmzY.jpg

oJmnB4L.jpg

IbGEbeo.jpg

FraoiCk.jpg

1yV25a2.jpg

1TdGwfw.jpg

Because it's maple and light colored, the stamp is tough to see but it is crisp and clean.

etSZsdG.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Chris, Maple? Wow, that is a pretty pipe. I was considering using some maple, but the board that was under consideration became a large cutting board in our kitchen. I am going to stop at the cabinet shop and see what they have in their scrap bin. Nice work!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks,

jp, I sometimes use a product called 'Wood Turner's Finish' by a company named General Finishes. It is completely non-toxic, water based and once it cures; is diamond hard. I even have found with my own shop pipes that I finished with it that it resists rim patina and build up as well as heat. Bowl turners use it on salad and soup bowls and dinner plates. You can put as many coats on as you want and then finish as usual. Sand if you like with 1000grit between. I realize that not everyone likes a shiny finish but I like it, and some pipes I use it some I just finish with carnauba wax. It polishes great. I usually give a pipe a few of more coats then use my normal Tripoli's and then Carnauba wax. The trick is to apply it FAST and evenly or you will get ripples or waves that you will have to then sand out.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Love that Lovat.....nice wood. Looks like a figured maple...tiger stripe? Like the contrasting wood band, but the brass dot makes the stem. First-rate job!
Congrats... to the maker and to the smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.