PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

koscak

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
Hello, I am new to your forum. I decided to write about my test of cheap home-made filter, which I will use in my corn cob pipe. It is a 6mm rizla cigarette filter tip.

I made two slots on each side of the filter with pocket knife for easy flow of air. This method of cigarette filters seems very cheap and better than paper filters, for 120 filters I pay about 1 dollar. I will use filter only once. What do you think abaut this method? Sorry for my bad English.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
120 filters for a buck is a steal. They are 1.19 here for 10 filters. Anyway, you can take an inch wide piece of paper, give it a few rolls, and insert it into the stem. Works the same as a store bought filter and costs you nothing.

Reactions: Usman

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Fisher, I don't generally use a filter but if I were inclined to try your method what kind of paper do you use, paper towel or something similar?

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
that is a nice and cheap method, I think it is main function will be to keep the smoke dry. I tried the paper filter once, it was a good and cheap way also. I bought the papers from tobacco shop, do not think a regular paper or napkin would do the job. filter papers looked more like business card papers.

anyway i think if you are looking for a real filter go for the nine millimeters filters, it is a very effective method. all the rest will protect you from the tobacco wetness rather than filtering the smoke.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have been using three wooden matches(without the tips of course) cut down to size in my Savinelli in place of the balsa insert... Works well to keep the moisture down and it doesn't seem to effect the the draw at all.

Reactions: Usman

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@Greg
Sorry man it took so long to get back to you but I didn't see your question until now. Any type of writing paper will work mate. Cut or tear it approx. one inch wide by 1.5-2 inches long. Then just roll it to the diamater you want and stick er in the tennon.

firewater

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
i know this is a super old post but i figured id put my 2 cents in.

i do the same thing as fisher, cut paper into strips and roll them up. it doesn't effect taste or draw(as air passes right through it) but its a good way to help keep it dry when ur out and about with only 1 pipe for the day.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Fold a fluffy pipe cleaner to the size of a filter and slide it in. Works perfectly.

firewater

Lurker
Mar 27, 2018
chasing embers- that's a slick idea. my friend found a deal on pipe cleaners a few years back so she bought me like 10 packs. turns out they were for crafts(she didn't know any better) and the cotton(is it?) stripped off when being used. i have them tucked away somewhere i just may have a use for them now. i dont worry about filter/paper when smoking at home or anywhere i can sit and relax, but when im working or in the bush that little piece of paper helps alot.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I think it was mentioned elsewhere that, for those of us that use the Savinelli balsa filters, another possibility was juts buying sheets of cheap balsa from hobby shops and cutting it up yourself.

I'm too lazy, I suppose, but I do snap my Sav filters in half.

Jun 27, 2016
I cut my own 6mm and run them in my 9mm pipes. Front edge is beveled to offer some more adsorption. Minimal impact on air flow, as long as the filter is not too long or too tall. Pipe cleaners will clear down to the bowl during a smoke, too. These actually make that easier on a couple of my pipes. You can still get some ash and tobacco pieces that fly by, but these will catch some of that as well. I have a 6mm filter pipe that I do not smoke with a filter due to blocking the pipe cleaner, nor the adapter due to airflow restrictions.
6mm filter, 9mm pipe.

40214554385_c3e14b05cf.jpg

Blurry pic, but good enough.
:puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm thinking that putting stuff in your stem exposes it to heat and possible chemical 'reaction'.
You don't hear these guys who buy reverse calabash pipes talking about filling the 'second chamber' with anything, and it would seem these filter pipes are also somewhat in this vein when used w/o a filter.
Either way, I started with a MM Legend and it had one filter. I threw that out when it got gucky and never looked at another one. Same with any other 'filter' pipes I have.
I will use pipes with certain stingers, and I will allow as to a 'venturi' effect that comes with any sort of airflow restriction from bowl to button, and that it can help you control your burn with less effort.

Jun 27, 2016
I'm definitely one-and-done with my balsa filters, and I clean the shank and stem airways with alky after every smoke.
I haven't smoked my 6mm pipe that much yet, but I am curious to see if I get condensation building up in the open filter chamber (no filter, no adapter). It is a 6" or 7" Billiard, which helps anyway, but I seem to remember it smoking dry throughout.
I've never really identified any chemical build-up or reactions due to my balsa filters, besides my reactions to the rank odors that they emit after a smoke. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.