PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just bought a brushed chrome Armor Zippo for $16.45.

View attachment 164073There is no excuse to not use the best lighter in the world.
I have a small collection of zippos. But in the past couple years I only use one. There are ones for the shelf that mean something to me, and then my brushed chrome stays in my pocket.

I love my armor brass Zippo. Had that one in my pocket for 5 years. Lots of wear on it.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
I used to be worried about the zippo fuel smell ruining the pipe smoke. However, I find in practice with the pipe insert I actually don’t get any of that smell when using it with a pipe. Have a brass and also a sterling zippo both in the heavier gauge “Armor” versions and love them both.7B1BEC6E-4B94-4A6C-BA12-6C478A48862E.jpeg

chotulaall7

Lurker
Aug 24, 2022
I like my Zippos smooth going in and out of pockets so I can't see myself doing anything custom that would affect the profile, but I like what you've done! Have one in the "Sherlock Holmes Master of Detectives', so I'm not afraid of a little etching. :)

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I use a leather belt pouch for my Zippo. It protects them and makes it easy to find and keeps it upright, which I think helps keep the fuel from evaporating as fast. Mine is aftermarket and just has a leather loop, which works best for me. I tried the Zippo branded ones, but they didn't work well: the one with the leather loop with a snap at the end kept coming undone and falling off, and the one with the metal clip kept falling off my belt also. Might work if you're a desk jockey.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I just got my thunderbird butane lighter pipe insert( flint version ) for my Zippo. It works really well but the fit is very snug. So as previous posts have said you need to shave the ridges on the side a smidge to make it easier to use.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Did you etched that? Neat. Been thinking about doing acid etching.
No, it was issued that way (five sides), although, I don't think it would be difficult to do an acid etch—no different than doing your own circuitboard with those kits Radio Shack used to sell. You just need a resist (probably a Sharpie would work) and some acid. Sharpie comes off with alcohol.

Reactions: JOHN72 and bullet08

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I have been making a patina every time I drop my zippo. It was originally matte black, but now has little dots of silver showing through.

Reactions: JOHN72