Make sure your collection doesn’t end up like this!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Currently 4 hrs and 50 mins left with a $592 bid at Goodwill.

banjo
40807897083_1b908ebfa2_z_d.jpg

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
...and that is why I have given some of my nicest and best smokers to friends who are younger than me...I would like my pipes to go on living after I am taking the dirt nap...and it also makes another person happy. Kind of a win/win solution.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Given your profession, ash, the least you could do is arrange for cremation...
Aster you win the auction, fish, let me get first dibs if you sell the crate! :P
jay-roger.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It’s not mine, someone donated this stuff to Goodwill and it is being auctioned off, I’m not a bidder either just though you all might wish to see what happens at times although this is the largest lot I’ve seen on Goodwills auctions. Going to make someone happy digging through it.

banjo

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
There's a bloody rare Dunhill SK right up front there. That pipe alone is probably worth more than the bid at this point. I've already got one, but ... for someone who wants a rarity, there it is.
Which is rather odd, looking at the rest of the pipes, so it makes me wonder if that's what it really is, but I've never seen anything else that looks even remotely close to it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What am I missing? I see nothing wrong with the auction. When I pass mine will likely be trashed.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Had I not already had a 1950 birth year SK I would have bid on the auction just for it, I’m not saying this is totally horrible since Goodwill will benefit from the auction and for all I know that was the intention of their owner, all I’m pointing out is if you have some wishes for your pipe collection make sure you spell it out in writing, regards.

banjo

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
all I’m pointing out is if you have some wishes for your pipe collection make sure you spell it out in writing, regards.
Many collections do go out like this, but usually individually and not as a group.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have a fine collection, or if you just have a nice stable of pipes some pricey but most not, leave instructions of how your kin can find a pro to sell 'em on commission and get some benefit. Folks could select out keepsake pipes, if they want them, but better to leave a benefit than a burden. Not to be morbid, but another great thing to do is to leave instructions on memorial service or funeral including clergy, location, speakers, format, family or close friends to speak (alternates in case all don't survive you). Music. Readings. This really takes the weight off the survivors. My late wife who was several notches above intelligent called in her brother, her mother's favorite child, and issued him all the same instructions she gave me (we'd worked on together). So when I came up with the "crazy plan," my brother-in-law said, yep, that's what she said. No problems. I did all the work, but no one ever contradicted that these were the wishes of the deceased, which they were.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The vikings had the right idea: pile all of your pipes and tobaccos in a longship and (after a proper charring light) set the boat out with the tide.
Or was that weapons and treasure? Meh, same idea. Works for me.

Jan 8, 2013
I keep staring at that photo... And this music is playing repeatedly in my head. It's enough to make you cry :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnhr7wn0noE

Status
Not open for further replies.