Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
The biggest pipe I've made, to date.

BigEgg1.jpg

BigEgg2.jpg

BigEgg3.jpg

BigEgg4.jpg

BigEgg7.jpg

Full set of pics here... Magnum Egg - pipemakersforum.com - http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12322&p=120242#p120242

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a exemplary version of the shape for sure. I have one egg shape pipe, rather compact, a Genod, but I guess because of the shape, it holds a surprising amount of tobacco. It is almost a pocket pipe but I'm sure it holds as much as some of my larger medium size pipes. Egg is definitely an interesting shape.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Really cool pipe, nicely done! I like that blast, that's something I need to learn. The shape really works, very creative take. I've been into big pipes lately too - but I've not tried anything that challenging. That would be a good Sunday morning pipe for me!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here are some more examples of what Doug535's Magnum Egg makes me think of stylistically.

Streamline Moderne isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it really flips my switch. Always has.

And take it from a stem guy, what he managed to do here is technically VERY difficult. An absolute beast. (Which, admittedly, might also influence my reaction. ;) )

Aren't pipes wonderful? Just when you think you've seen everything, along comes a completely new idea/concept.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.50.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.51.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.52.07 PM.png

Reactions: cornedbeef

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
?

What has he done? Curious to hear more.
Stems get exponentially more difficult to make as they increase in size. That one is six inches long and an inch in diameter.

Shaping such a log requires repeated bending and shaping, and a single misstep (too much material removed somewhere) wrecks the continuity of line permanently. It's 100% a subtractive process.

And there's no hiding from mistakes because gleam lines don't lie, are easily seen by the unaided eye, and will "wiggle" from deviations as small as one ten thousandth of an inch.

It's why no one here---or anywhere, most likely---has seen such a stem before. (After 45 years in the PipeWorld I know that I never have.)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Stems get exponentially more difficult to make as they increase in size. That one is six inches long and an inch in diameter.

Shaping such a log requires repeated bending and shaping, and a single misstep (too much material removed somewhere) wrecks the continuity of line permanently. It's 100% a subtractive process.

And there's no hiding from mistakes because gleam lines don't lie, are easily seen by the unaided eye, and will "wiggle" from deviations as small as one ten thousandth of an inch.

It's why no one here---or anywhere, most likely---has seen such a stem before. (After 45 years in the PipeWorld I know that I never have.)
That's what I needed.?

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Thanks for all the likes everybody and @georged for the explanation on the stem work. I know this kind of pipe is a polarizing subject and I knew going into it that it would not be for everybody. I tend to think somewhat outside the box in some of my designs and stretches/twists on the classics. How else is one going to come up with some new shapes? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.