Magnificiently Strange Patents (Picture Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
looking at these pictures makes what to make my own creation, these are fun to look at indeed!!!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
For future reference. May start a dunhill thread. A LOT of patents for his pipes. Even a removable bowl they made. I wish I could find the one with the removable bowl and knife built in again. I'll likely start a couple more of these threads as I gather Patents. As for the table book mentioned....not sure I can do that using other's patents....Might gather them and make a virtual....reference...depends on how long the manic episode lasts.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Cooling Unit
US2952263-0.png

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I was wondering the same. The odds are there was one built of some...but if they were never backed/couldn't get it going....it was forgotten. Suppose we just keep our eyes peeled! Thanks for contributing guys! Loving to see what you find as well.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
https://www.google.com/patents/US6418936?dq=tobacco+pipe&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBs-ej_9bJAhXrnnIKHV79B6QQ6AEIRzAG

US06418936-20020716-D00000.png

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
That's for something else posaydal.... They make them new..... You have to "weed" out the ones mislabeled as tobacco pipes. Pre-70's is where the good ones are. I'm going through them all.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
This has become a new way to handle the elusive sleep. On page 28 with 41,000 results for my query.....Combing through patent...after patent...after patent. SO who wants to know about something in particular? Give me a direction.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Hmmmmmm.... I would love to see that aforementioned steam engine pipe :) Would be freaking awesome to have a pipe which heats up and moves a small steam engine :D In general, i would like to see crazy mechanisms and such. :)

BTW, one of better threads i found here. Cheers, mate! :)

May 31, 2012
Great thread!

:puffy:
Interesting stuff indeed,

so many patents were filed!
So many mousetraps to look at!
Love the flashlight pipes!

:)
The self-lighting pipes may save a gent from this tragedy:

iiiiiiiiiii-236x600.jpg

:P
One of the oddest I've seen is the hinged "hygenic" pipe,

an odd concept for sure...

http://www.google.com/patents/US954020

US954020-0.png

Some of them are so incredibly complicated that it's easy to see why they could never survive in the marketplace!
http://www.google.com/patents/US3792704
US3792704-1.png

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The present invention is designed to overcome both the difficulties encountered in the conventional pipe smoking arrangement and the infirmities discovered with prior capsule systems.
In accordance with one aspect of the present invention there may be provided a disposable tobacco capsule that is prepacked by machine. Each capsule may, if desired, have its own built-in filter. The tobacco may be corectly packaged for steady burning and the density of the tobacco may be controlled in the factory packaging techniques. Each capsule may be encased in an aluminum foil sheath, or the like, and is formed to a standard size which will fit all pipes manufactured for the system. A typical capsule, for example, might be 1 3/8 inches long, 1 1/8 inches high, and 3/8 inches wide. The capsule is adapted for insertion into a specially designed pipe bowl and may have the top opened by pulling a zip-off tab. On termination of smoking, the foil sheath and its filter with the trapped residue may be readily lifted from the bowl and disposed of, leaving the pipe in clean condition. A plurality of such capsules may be packaged in a single convenient slim pack, which could, in turn, be stored without bulkiness in clothing pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.