PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I like the idea for a magnetic wind cap.
I have a magnetic knife block in the kitchen to organize the knives. The problem is that the magnets are just way too strong. I go to grab a knife to start chopping veggies and I end up with the whole block of knives stuck to the end of my knife. You have to pry the knife off like King Author.
Magnetic wind cap sounds like a great idea

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Weird but true:

Permanent magnets (as opposed to electromagnets) are greatly affected by heat exposure.

One heat-induced "scrambling" of the atomic-level alignment that makes them magnets is all it takes.

Above 175 degrees F will do it.

Hard to say if that temp can be reached in a pipe's shank by smoking it, but it definitely could from sitting on a car dashboard in the summer (for example). And used for a rim cap? It would every time.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Weird but true:

Permanent magnets (as opposed to electromagnets) are greatly affected by heat exposure.

One heat-induced "scrambling" of the atomic-level alignment that makes them magnets is all it takes.

Hard to say if that temp can be reached in a pipe's shank by smoking it, but it definitely could from sitting on a car dashboard in the summer (for example). And used for a rim cap? It would every time.

I was wondering about the effect of heat on those magnets
Thanks for clarifying

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Weird but true:

Stupid magnets, why do you have to be so sensitive?

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper
Weird but true:

Good point. But, what a good idea if it weren't for the heat.
Just a cap with the magnets in the lid, with something iron based in the rim of the pipe might work for storing pre-packed bowls, just removing the lid to smoke, but I bet the first thing lost on that pipe would be the fancy lid.
Oh well...

Reactions: sardonicus87