PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The current "What historical figure would you most like to share a pipe and conversation with?" thread got me to thinking about something that happened almost 20 years ago.

The Internet was only websites, then. No social media. Meaning all subject-specific interests had numerous threaded forums. Pipes and tobacco had about a dozen. Indeed, a number of individual B&M shops even had their own.

One of those was known as the KnoxBoard, because it was hosted by the Knoxville Cigar Company (they also sold pipes).

I was one of its many members, and got to "electronically" know a fair number of people through it.

One day, one of the regulars---a guy known as "TJ"---invited a half dozen of us to a special event of sorts, via private message.

He confided that he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), could tell he was coming in for a landing, and wanted to host a meet-up of his pipe smoking electronic friends while he still had the ability to participate and enjoy it.

And by host, I mean the real deal. He'd been a successful banker, and had a large house on the edge of a canyon overlooking Yosemite Park. Probably 4500-5000 square feet with a huge deck, a commercial-grade kitchen, and a massive "man cave" with a giant fireplace and state of the art audio system.

All we had to do is show up. Food would be provided (he hired a pro chef), plenty of space to sleep, etc.

Bring along whatever you want when it comes to pipes, tobacco, or music, he said, and the rest will take care of itself.

Of the invitees, only one couldn't make it. Those who could make it came from New York, Ohio, Georgia, Wyoming, and three from California.

To add to the fun, during the meet-up, each of us wrote a "review" style account that was posted on the KnoxBoard in realtime.

Though the board closed a couple years later (Knox Cigar got sold, and the new owner didn't want to mess with it), one of the meet-up attendees made a copy of the review thread before it disappeared, and sent it to the rest of us for posterity.

Below is what I wrote. (Mine was the last entry/review, and was written after arriving back in Wyoming)

Why reprint it here?

As I said, the "What historical figure...?" thread got me thinking about the TJ meet-up. Specifically, about how you might think you can't do better than by selecting famous people from the past, when in fact there's the possibility you can... in the here and now.

You're NOT just imagining things or being irrationally hopeful, in other words, if you've daydreamed about arranging a gathering of your friends on THIS board. Because magic, though not guaranteed, is definitely real. And it appears in ways you do not expect or see coming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LL 23 May : When it comes to the relating of unbelievable stories, it's usually the first person who doesn't have a chance. In this case, it's the last one. :)

So, a resounding DITTO! To every word of the above. To even try to top those descriptions would be like spray painting a rose.

I would like to add two things only:
The choices available following an "anticipated life event" of any type, from movies and picnics to standing on the top of a mountain are:

-- It fell short of expectations
-- It equalled expectations
-- It exceeded expectations

My trip to Sonora made me realize there's a fourth one:

-- Some things are so far out of your experience that the entire concept of "expectations" doesn't even apply. I'm sure Neil Armstrong felt it, standing on the moon; as did the men who piloted the Trieste to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Life lived at a level so wholly different that your experience provides no reference point.

While those are physical examples, I assure you it applies in the same way to people like me who live primarily in their heads, in a world of ideas. I know because I was immersed in it only 36 hours ago. The combinatorial effect of being in the company of the half-dozen absolute gentlemen at TJ's Smoker---brilliant, warm, passionate, generous, talented, knowledgeable, and articulate, one and all---was easily my lifetime high water mark for such occasions, and is now one of the crown jewels in my Life Memory collection. My only two regrets are that it couldn't last forever, and that everyone who wanted to attend, couldn't.

The other thing I want to add concerns TJ. Because of my good fortune in arriving first, and the luxury of not having a commitment or plane to catch afterward, I had more one-on-one time with TJ and Jonnie than anyone else.

And in those hours, I learned this: True Love exists in the world. I'm not referring to the fact that his Bill O'Reilly-affected board persona is an utter sham, and he is one of the kindest and most gentle people who ever lived---but that it is impossible to speak of TJ without also referring to his wife. They share a Love that makes Hollywood's notion of "love" an embarrassment. Not only two of the finest people I've ever known, they are, truly, Spirit Twins joined at the heart.

To have simply been in the same room with such a thing---the purity and intensity of their devotion to each other radiated from the very walls---makes me feel fortunate beyond description, and has caused me to re-evaluate my entire life. Thank you, Tom and Jonnie, from the bottom of my heart.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Despite the fact that I am a very stoic and serious person who would never participate in such sophomoric behavior, my wife assumes that this forum is nothing more than a group of middle-aged men acting like teenagers in an online locker room. I sent her a link to this thread and in less than five (5) minutes, she responded with:

Stai cercando di farmi piangere? Ti amo. (Are you wanting to make me cry? Love you. ~ My own translation)

Immediately followed by:

Ti conosco Whitey. Non ci sto cascando. (I know you Whitey. I am not falling for this. ~ My own translation)

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
The current "What historical figure would you most like to share a pipe and conversation with?" thread got me to thinking about something that happened almost 20 years ago.

The Internet was only websites, then. No social media. Meaning all subject-specific interests had numerous threaded forums. Pipes and tobacco had about a dozen. Indeed, a number of individual B&M shops even had their own.

One of those was known as the KnoxBoard, because it was hosted by the Knoxville Cigar Company (they also sold pipes).

I was one of its many members, and got to "electronically" know a fair number of people through it.

One day, one of the regulars---a guy known as "TJ"---invited a half dozen of us to a special event of sorts, via private message.

He confided that he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), could tell he was coming in for a landing, and wanted to host a meet-up of his pipe smoking electronic friends while he still had the ability to participate and enjoy it.

And by host, I mean the real deal. He'd been a successful banker, and had a large house on the edge of a canyon overlooking Yosemite Park. Probably 4500-5000 square feet with a huge deck, a commercial-grade kitchen, and a massive "man cave" with a giant fireplace and state of the art audio system.

All we had to do is show up. Food would be provided (he hired a pro chef), plenty of space to sleep, etc.

Bring along whatever you want when it comes to pipes, tobacco, or music, he said, and the rest will take care of itself.

Of the invitees, only one couldn't make it. Those who could make it came from New York, Ohio, Georgia, Wyoming, and three from California.

To add to the fun, during the meet-up, each of us wrote a "review" style account that was posted on the KnoxBoard in realtime.

Though the board closed a couple years later (Knox Cigar got sold, and the new owner didn't want to mess with it), one of the meet-up attendees made a copy of the review thread before it disappeared, and sent it to the rest of us for posterity.

Below is what I wrote. (Mine was the last entry/review, and was written after arriving back in Wyoming)

Why reprint it here?

As I said, the "What historical figure...?" thread got me thinking about the TJ meet-up. Specifically, about how you might think you can't do better than by selecting famous people from the past, when in fact there's the possibility you can... in the here and now.

You're NOT just imagining things or being irrationally hopeful, in other words, if you've daydreamed about arranging a gathering of your friends on THIS board. Because magic, though not guaranteed, is definitely real. And it appears in ways you do not expect or see coming.

LL 23 May : When it comes to the relating of unbelievable stories, it's usually the first person who doesn't have a chance. In this case, it's the last one. :)

So, a resounding DITTO! To every word of the above. To even try to top those descriptions would be like spray painting a rose.

I would like to add two things only:
The choices available following an "anticipated life event" of any type, from movies and picnics to standing on the top of a mountain are:

-- It fell short of expectations
-- It equalled expectations
-- It exceeded expectations

My trip to Sonora made me realize there's a fourth one:

-- Some things are so far out of your experience that the entire concept of "expectations" doesn't even apply. I'm sure Neil Armstrong felt it, standing on the moon; as did the men who piloted the Trieste to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Life lived at a level so wholly different that your experience provides no reference point.

While those are physical examples, I assure you it applies in the same way to people like me who live primarily in their heads, in a world of ideas. I know because I was immersed in it only 36 hours ago. The combinatorial effect of being in the company of the half-dozen absolute gentlemen at TJ's Smoker---brilliant, warm, passionate, generous, talented, knowledgeable, and articulate, one and all---was easily my lifetime high water mark for such occasions, and is now one of the crown jewels in my Life Memory collection. My only two regrets are that it couldn't last forever, and that everyone who wanted to attend, couldn't.

The other thing I want to add concerns TJ. Because of my good fortune in arriving first, and the luxury of not having a commitment or plane to catch afterward, I had more one-on-one time with TJ and Jonnie than anyone else.

And in those hours, I learned this: True Love exists in the world. I'm not referring to the fact that his Bill O'Reilly-affected board persona is an utter sham, and he is one of the kindest and most gentle people who ever lived---but that it is impossible to speak of TJ without also referring to his wife. They share a Love that makes Hollywood's notion of "love" an embarrassment. Not only two of the finest people I've ever known, they are, truly, Spirit Twins joined at the heart.

To have simply been in the same room with such a thing---the purity and intensity of their devotion to each other radiated from the very walls---makes me feel fortunate beyond description, and has caused me to re-evaluate my entire life. Thank you, Tom and Jonnie, from the bottom of my heart.
Thanks for sharing...this is a really deep post to read before my two cups of tea this morning. Reminds me of some of the more beautiful themes in life worth living for. puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I understood @Chasing Embers post to be in reply to the immediately previous post which was unfortunately deleted...so now it makes no sense.
In truth though, I didn't even know that george was posting. After being kicked off of several forums for insulting tirades, I just have him on ignore here. My post was for the deleted one.

Reactions: JOHN72

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
In truth though, I didn't even know that george was posting. After being kicked off of several forums for insulting tirades, I just have him on ignore here. My post was for the deleted one.

This keeps getting weirder.

10-4 on the cocaine post referring to something that was deleted, so the connection was lost.

But "kicked off several forums for insulting tirades"?

If you are referring to me, I've never been kicked off any board, at any time, for any reason, going back to the Usenet era... meaning before the Word Wide Web even existed. Never even "warned" or "gotten points" or any of the preliminary stuff.

Where, exactly, do you get your information, Mr. Embers?

Reactions: litup

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The deleted post had a political reference. The cocaine reference made no sense with or without it. Would have deleted c.e.'s post, too, but I didn't as I hoped at the time it made sense.

• Wow
Reactions: jbfrady

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for sharing...this is a really deep post to read before my two cups of tea this morning. Reminds me of some of the more beautiful themes in life worth living for. puffy

You're welcome. :)

Definitely a departure for me. I mostly post technical repair stuff or lateral-humor absurdity here on the KevinBoard, but that extended weekend at TJ's was SO memorable for all the right reasons, that after the "What famous historical figure would you smoke a bowl with?" thread took off, I had to.

I figured if I got blind-sided by it, others could be as well... and it was a good thing to remember: From time to time, reality can and will exceed the best you can imagine.

(I wasn't even sure I could find the salvaged/copied KnoxBoard thread on my old desktop. That I did was no small miracle.) lol

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For Mr. Embers ---

I'm shocked---shocked I say! (lol)---that you're hiding behind ignore lists and such to avoid answering my question.

Which leaves only two possibilities for having made the claim in the first place:

1) You posted disparaging bullshit knowing it was bullshit

or

2) You simply repeated what someone told you, not caring that it was disparaging bullshit.

Neither is a good look, I'm afraid.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
...I figured if I got blind-sided by it, others could be as well... and it was a good thing to remember: From time to time, reality can and will exceed the best you can imagine.

(I wasn't even sure I could find the salvaged/copied KnoxBoard thread on my old desktop. That I did was no small miracle.) lol
I am in accord with sablebrush52. My most profound moments are best left to the hermit who walks the narrow path.

Reactions: sablebrush52