PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, pruss, one would have thought that. Of course I tried that before along with several other solvents such as mineral spirits. None worked. I am glad you are pleased with my success. Sometimes insanity is its own reward.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Of course I tried that before along with several other solvents such as mineral spirits. None worked. I am glad you are pleased with my success. Sometimes insanity is its own reward.
I've had good luck with acetone so long as you're happy pulling stain. Makes me scared to think what caused the stains if sanding was the only recourse.
Congrats again on gettin' 'er done.
-- Pat

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I had no stain issues; hence no need for acetone. The erasers came away BLACK from tars, not brown from stain. I have used this on a Stanwell Design Choice as well (smoking it right now). NO issues once a little walnut oil was applied.
I noted no "sanding" effect whatsoever. If it was there it was so miniscule as to be unremarkable.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
What happens if you use Murphy's oil soap? Or simple green and a soft rag? Or just dish detergent such as Dawn? j
I use Murphy's on rusticated and blasted pipes that are super cruddy... I have also used it on plateau tops that are caked on with tars. In these instances I also use tooth brushes. I have a friend who uses a brass bristle white-wall brush for plateau. Once the tars have been cleaned off I use a liberal amount of water to remove the murphy's. This will also pull stain from the high-points of the plateau/blast/rustication.
I can't speak to simple green.
-- Pat

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I read a preventive tip on the site that I found useful. To PREVENT rim darkening, moisten the rim with a a little saliva before lighting. I also try to use a napkin or piece of paper, moistened with saliva, to clean the rim after each smoke. I've have had pipes for a year that look almost new, using these two tips.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
This topic reminds me of what my ol' Grandpappy told me long ago.

In selecting a protolgist as well as a girlfriend pick ones with the smallest hands !

The first makes the exam less painful and the 2nd it makes things look bigger!

Still trying to figure out what he meant!

hoo-boy

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What happens if you use Murphy's oil soap? Or simple green and a soft rag? Or just dish detergent such as Dawn? j
I use Murphy's on rusticated and blasted pipes that are super cruddy... I have also used it on plateau tops that are caked on with tars. In these instances I also use tooth brushes. I have a friend who uses a brass bristle white-wall brush for plateau. Once the tars have been cleaned off I use a liberal amount of water to remove the murphy's. This will also pull stain from the high-points of the plateau/blast/rustication.
I can't speak to simple green.
-- Pat
I have also used Murphy's to clean rusticated pipes,works great. Recently I tried some brushes I bought on Ebay. Works great and no soap and water involved. Here's a link to a post I did about them on the DGCF--

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about7284.html
To clean smooth rims I use an Exacto knife to remove most of the build up then spit on a Q-tip. The rotary brushes work great to clean plateau or rusticated rims,although heavy deposits of crud may need to be worked by hand first.

Status
Not open for further replies.