PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’m sure it’s not a big deal for a lot of you, but it was pretty exciting for me.

I was lured back into pipe smoking after smelling someone smoking one a few weeks ago. I bought a bunch of aros because they seemed fun.

As I’m sure most of you are aware, there was a bit of a letdown when they lived up to neither expectation nor advertisement. In the past, that’s when I’d throw in the towel and put the pipe back in the drawer. This time, however, I’d stumbled upon this website and have been reading relentlessly ever since.

I’m currently working in Texas and I’m having all of my tobacco shipped to my home in Alaska so it’s there when I get home. I have no way to ship anything to my work location, and since I live at work, I figured I was screwed.

Enter USPS hold for delivery.

I put in an order last week for a tin of Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, HH ODF, and HH Burley Flake. I went and picked them up today in town and brought them back out here with me. I’m not sure why, but since I started reading about all the different blends, I’ve really been drawn to Nightcap, for some reason. When I got back to work, still having about two hours left before I had to clock in, I went ahead and loaded a bowl with Nightcap to see, for the first time, what the fuss was all about in the non-aromatic realm. To be honest, I just assumed it’d taste like cigarettes and/or cigars.

Man, was I wrong. It was incredible. The presentation of the tobacco in the tin, the quality of the cut, the aroma when I cracked it open, etc. It was an experience. You don’t get that from a plastic bag labeled “ice cream” from the local B&M. It was then that I realized what type of madness must happen to make aromatics smell the way they do - there was nothing sticky, goopy, or fake about the Nightcap.

After I lit it I was even more impressed. It was what it wasn’t that made it what it was. It was simple and complex. The expectation to taste like a cherry pie filled with custard and potato chips was absent. It was just me and the tobacco and it was really enjoyable.

I am really looking forward to trying all sorts of non-aromatic blends, now. Just this evening I’ve had a go with the Nightcap, the HH ODF, and the HH Burley Flake. I’ve got to admit, I’m a fan of all of them. I’m really excited to see what else is out there.

Kudos to this forum for providing the information to get me over that initial hump that has always won in the past.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As I’m sure most of you are aware, there was a bit of a letdown when they lived up to neither expectation nor advertisement
They do after you've been smoking for a few years. Aromatics aren't good for someone starting out. Now I prefer them a great deal of the time. Aromatic are also the biggest proportion of of pipe tobacco sold and are what's keeping our boat afloat.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Started in aros just like you and moved on. After 18 months I thought I would try aros again. Still don’t like them. Just my palate it guess.
I have a tin of Royal Yacht somewhere. Some day I will open it. You never know. There’s so much variation out there. Never say never.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I cracked my first tin of nightcap a few weeks ago. I wasn't let down either. You should check out Balkan Supreme if you haven't already. I'm making my way into English blends, and while I still have a lot of love for Virginias and VaPers, I find I like English blends just as much. It seems that the world of pipes and pipe tobacco is endless, a bit overwhelming at times.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I cracked my first tin of nightcap a few weeks ago. I wasn't let down either. You should check out Balkan Supreme if you haven't already. I'm making my way into English blends, and while I still have a lot of love for Virginias and VaPers, I find I like English blends just as much. It seems that the world of pipes and pipe tobacco is endless, a bit overwhelming at times.
Yup and everyone has different tastes. Nightcap to me smells like it belongs in a pile outside the barn. Maybe a few burning twigs on top.
And some will love that, some will love VaPers, Kentucky, or some will love Super Value Vanilla.
it’s all about individual tastes. Also expecting too much with flavor from an aromatic... I did at first. I expected the tobaccos to taste like the tin description or flavoring ingredients. It’s still a tobacco with flavoring. It’s better to go into all tobaccos with no expectations, dry it a little longer than you think, and give it a fair shake. Think of it like a blind taste test where you are only shown what you’re smoking once you’re done. That has helped me tremendously with enjoying different types of tobaccos. Though some you may never enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer non-aromatic blends and single leaf. When I smoke aromatics for a change of pace, I like them tobacco forward. I noticed that when I went to mostly non-aromatics, tongue bite and aftertastes seemed to mostly go away.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
@BROBS suggested that I just use aros I have already purchased to mix in slightly with some of the non-aros to improve the room note without changing the flavor much. I thought that was brilliant since my wife picked probably 2/3 of the aros I have and is probably going to wonder why my bowls smell like toes instead of panna cotta.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My experience the first go with pipes was like yours, and I gave it up for a decade. Then I started up again in '07 and haven't stopped. But it was because I stopped trying to smoke candy and went after all the flavor and nuance in more natural blends, and now for the last 3 years or so, I find myself tasting the flavors in aromatics in a new way. Some are delicious and some still suck, but it's my palate and technique that have changed, not the tobacco. Good on you for keeping on!

Status
Not open for further replies.