PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Here's my latest. I have no idea if this is more of a diplomat or more of a prince. The button and slot shaping are killing me. The battery on my camera was dying so I rushed and forgot to snap one of the right side. It is a small pipe. Only 31 grams.
All criticism and tip/pointers are encouraged! Thanks for looking!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Walt Cannoy has a video on stems that might help you on your slot cutting- it's at about 2:30- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVcbut29plg . George Dibos also has two incredibly detailed videos on stem cutting (can't find them at the moment)
That pipe looks great- and you'll continue to improve as you make more. One suggestion- when you're staining the pipe, use a qtip to work up to the end of the shank, so you don't get stain on the face of the shank…or polish the shank face and stain it …On the face of the shank itself and the face of the stem, if your tools are sharpened to an absolute razor edge, you can start sanding those at 400 grit…(I actually just started polishing those first and then reducing to final diameter- eliminates the problem of rounding over the edge where the shank and stem come together……)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks guys!
Zack, I'm using his video to try and improve with each stem I make. I'll get there eventually. The qtip idea is great as I've just been using a pipe cleaner. With the intent of this staying with me I guess I rushed a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really appreciate small pipes as part of any stable, and this one is a charmer. It's most distinctive feature may not be its best, the widening of the shank toward the stem, but it certainly gives the pipe originality. The bowl and finish really please me, so compact and succinct. I like the jivy colored stem as an accent.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I like almost everything about the pipe, but I am tired of contrast staining. It's so overdone anymore. But I guess that's what most people like. The stem's color is beautiful, and works well with the lighter color on the bowl. The opening in the button seems a little large to me. Too much room for moisture to enter, but all in all, a very nice job. The size is particularly pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.