PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
What a cool experience Kevin! I am truly jealous! Hopefully I can have an experience similar to that one day, though I won't be holding my breath haha.

pbgoldwing55

Lurker
Feb 2, 2010
truely amazeing kevin wow i would love to make a pipe like that and wow the interesting traveling you done . thanks for showing .

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
man great trip and pipe. i would love to do that. i am ready for a road trip. :worship:

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Yes this must have been incredibly fun. I would definitely be worried that I would not leave with all my digits intact since I am practically all thumbs.
But a very beautiful pipe and great story with great pics!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
wow that sounds like a cool day Kevin. I really like how you didn't put stain on it. Just beautiful wood. You have some good friends.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is really cool Kevin. Great pic and an awesome adventure into pipe making for sure!

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Outstanding first effort, Kevin! Having the guidance of a master didn't hurt either. It took me dozens of tries before I produced something half that nice.
You probably found out that the actual turning on the lathe is relatively easy and straight forward. Mechanical stuff. It's the shaping on the disc and finish sanding that takes the skill developed over time (and lots of ground up fingers!). Concentration and focus is key, as the disc can be unforgiving at times. You can take wood off, but you can't put it back on. One big slip and it's scrap.
Again, great work! Enjoy!
CACooper

Status
Not open for further replies.