PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
That is a great looking pipe, and I wouldn't know it was your first pipe unless you said it was. Keep up the great work, and smoke on :clap: :puffy:

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Looks great.
I haven't been brave enough to try rustication, you did very well with it on yours.
Looks like it's time for me to start practicing on some scrap wood.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow!!!! I've considered this. Might I ask what it costs to make such a pipe? Equipment, raw materials, and time?

Seriously great work!!

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Thanks, all!
iamn8, I didn't use the typical tools most people use, so my cost will be lower than it would be for someone using a lathe and sandbelt. Here is the list of tools and supplies:

Battery powered Dremel: On sale on Black Friday for $15, full price $25.

Battery charger and 2 sets reachargeable batteries: sale $15.00, full price $23.

Dremel 150 piece bit kit: On sale for $15.00. Full price is $30.00.

3 set Wood Files: $7.

Cost of sand paper: $3.

Two colors of leather dye: $6 bucks each.

Distilled gin to dilute the leather dye (10 parts gin to 1 part leather dye): $6.

The pre-drilled pipe kit: $31.00 with shipping.

Specific high speak cutter Dremel bit not in kit: $10.

I used an old coping saw, which you can get for various prices.

Totals: With sale prices: $114. Full price: $149.
I wanted to buy a saw bit for my Dremel, but the saw piece was $10 and the extension it needs was about the same, so I did without.
With these tools, it took me two days, putting in anywhere from 5-7 hours each day. (sawing and filing hard briar wood is difficult... haha)
It can be pricey, but now I have all the tools I need for future projects and I only have to buy the pipe kits. So, its worth it! And, I received the actual Dremel and bit kit as a gift. Which helped a lot. Hope this helps. Lots of info!
Smokey
P.S. I will post pics of specific tools/bits I used later on!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It all depends on what tools you have. You can get by with some files and sanding paper as for minimum bare essentials. But, once shaped you'll need a means of buffing/polishing. Most hobbyists who make pipes on a regular basis, or professionals for that matter, will have a lathe (wood or metal - in some cases both), a motor set up for shaping with a sanding disk of some sorts, band saw, buffing station with associated buffing compounds/wax and a myriad of other hand tools including numerous various grits of sandpaper. That and aside from obtaining briar blocks. A 'kit' simply means that the block (ebauchon) is pre-drilled and comes with a stem. It all depends on how far one wishes to take it and how serious they are.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Exactly what phil67 said. I am a broke college student with no workshop of my own yet, so these are my tools for now. Someday, I'll own the works!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Exactly what phil67 said. I am a broke college student with no workshop of my own yet, so these are my tools for now. Someday, I'll own the works!
Well I'm a broke 67 year old retiree living on a meager pension. Different ages, same boat as it were, but at least you have your whole life ahead of you with, hopefully, good prospects ahead.
Always loved working with my hands, albeit some arthritis and tendonitis has set into my left hand. I used to make handmade custom knives years ago so I have some experience/knowledge and some of the tools/machinery, albeit some do not not match up with what is necessary for making a quality pipe. I have some things on order for what I can afford and hopefully I'll be making more pipes that are of good, if not hopefully great quality. Keep some... maybe sell some. Who knows, but it gives me something to do other than trying to keeping my home in relative good condition and paying the bills. Just gotta keep myself busy. :wink:

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Yeah, I like working with my hands. and I just meant that is all I can afford right now. I'll save up and get some tools later in life. But it's fun workin hard at it with the tools I have. Therapeutic!

Status
Not open for further replies.