PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
My other complaint with cigars is that the cigar business edges over pipes, even in pipe shops, where the margin of profit on cigars is so much greater, both in terms of much higher prices and higher volume. Back during the cigar boom around the turn of the century, I saw pipes and pipe tobacco fade in chains like Tinder Box and other places.
The cigar industry did their marketing better I think. They really sold it as a high class experience, while pipe tobacco was more fun and whimsical.

Plus it's seen as a tradition to some to smoke a cigar on their 18th birthday, which is for many, their first experience with premium tobacco.

Reactions: Pipelady20

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
Don't worry, sooner or later, you will buy another cigar, and you will buy a humidor, top 80 cigars up, and buy premium cutter, lighter, matches, boveda etc.

• Haha
Reactions: lawdawg and dcon

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I know where you're coming from, a week ago I bought 10 Toscanos - what a lot of people wouldn't even consider a "proper" cigar - and have already smoked 7 of them, basically one per day, taking a slot out of my pipe smoking, and now I am looking at cigar descriptions all the time! Knowing my piggish predicament I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a small humidor before long to go along the pipe "cellar".

I know they won't supplant the pipe though, the line I read here some time ago is accurate:
A cigarette is like a cheap sandwich, a cigar like a great steak, and a pipe like a 7 course meal". I don't think they need to be mutually exclusive or hostile to each other, they are both high quality tobacco.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
As much as I like menthol cigarettes, the idea of a mint cigar kind of puts me off. I'll try a mint Java on your recommendation.

Hey Funkmeister, have you tried the Java Red? Had my first one last night, great stuff, supposed to taste like cherry but it’s rather faint. I’ve been buying the DE Javas in the petite corona size, don’t think I want more cigar than that at a time.

Jan 27, 2020
I know where you're coming from, a week ago I bought 10 Toscanos - what a lot of people wouldn't even consider a "proper" cigar - and have already smoked 7 of them, basically one per day, taking a slot out of my pipe smoking, and now I am looking at cigar descriptions all the time! Knowing my piggish predicament I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a small humidor before long to go along the pipe "cellar".

I know they won't supplant the pipe though, the line I read here some time ago is accurate:
A cigarette is like a cheap sandwich, a cigar like a great steak, and a pipe like a 7 course meal". I don't think they need to be mutually exclusive or hostile to each other, they are both high quality tobacco.

Which ones did you order? I wanted some of the caffe ones but were out and had to settle on chocolate. Liked them but a bit too much like a Hershey bar. You really need to check out the DE Java if indeed you got the coffee ones, the petite cornona size is maybe 30-50% bigger than the Toscanos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't feel like the cheater when I smoke a cigar. I feel cheated. You can buy a tin of premium pipe tobacco that will give you twenty or more smokes for the price of two moderately premium cigars. I like a cigar now and then, but I hardly feel like I'm being unfaithful to my pipes. I come home for a good laugh with them.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Hey Funkmeister, have you tried the Java Red? Had my first one last night, great stuff, supposed to taste like cherry but it’s rather faint. I’ve been buying the DE Javas in the petite corona size, don’t think I want more cigar than that at a time.

I have not. I did smoke a mint flavored one though, Its not at all what I expected... but It was enjoyable. I'll have to try the red now, I used to smoke Blackstone Cherry cigars. I'm sure those cherry Javas can't be bad.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don't feel like the cheater when I smoke a cigar. I feel cheated. You can buy a tin of premium pipe tobacco that will give you twenty or more smokes for the price of two moderately premium cigars. I like a cigar now and then, but I hardly feel like I'm being unfaithful to my pipes. I come home for a good laugh with them.

That's the thing, right there. ^^

LightningII

Lurker
Jul 17, 2020
Waxahachie, Texas
The other day I was finally able to travel out of state. I brought one pipe with me and managed to break the stem, the next day I was needing some relief so I popped over to PA which has cheap tobacco prices and bought a cigar: a Drew Estate Mint Java, petite in size. Anyway, I lite up my pipe earlier today and all I could think of I saw that cigar. I feel like a cheater. Didn’t even think I liked it that much half way through.
Cigars have been giving me headaches lately.
maybe it’s the bourbon that I usually have simultaneously.
anyway, I’m smoking my pipes now and staying away from Fuentes.
i still like bourbon, though.
:)

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The frustration of a $10 (or $20+!) cigar that was rolled incorrectly is very real.

I've smoked cigars for more than 15 years, starting first with cheapo online-only cigars bought on auction. Somehow, I persisted and soon discovered the wonderful world of Havanas; to me, there is nothing in the world to match the Cuban terroir. The problem arises in the pay these workers receive and the resulting lack of QC - it is common to find a portion of a box (up to & including 100% at times) with poor construction.

As I moved into pipes, I did a quick calculation and realized how much of a value pipe tobacco presented. Mix in the novelty of tobacco flavors that are new to me, and I've gone to one cigar every couple of weeks. The beauty is this cooler and desktop humidors full of Havana and Santiago gems are going to get a serious boost in age; a 3-4 year supply of cigars just started looking like it's going to last me 10 years or more.

In short, if cost-benefit is a concern to you (as it is to me), stick with pipes. Once I can successfully surmount the tobacco prepping & smoking learning curves, I'd imagine I'll be down to 1 or 2 cigar boxes per year, if not less.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The other day I was finally able to travel out of state. I brought one pipe with me and managed to break the stem, the next day I was needing some relief so I popped over to PA which has cheap tobacco prices and bought a cigar: a Drew Estate Mint Java, petite in size. Anyway, I lite up my pipe earlier today and all I could think of I saw that cigar. I feel like a cheater. Didn’t even think I liked it that much half way through.

Whore. Good luck looking your pipes straight in the bowl next time you light up. They'll know what you've done.

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
I don't think its cheating, I'm non-discriminant when it comes to smoking tobacco.
I enjoy both pipes and cigars.
Full disclosure: cigar storage currently holds about 50 full boxes while I only have 25 tins on hand which shows which way I lean towards.

Reactions: NomadOrb

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If I had "screw you" money, I'd probably keep a stable of small vitola sticks around. As it is I smoke like two cigars a summer and call it good. My nicotine tolerance is low so that factors into my ambivalence.

Just to put it out there, a Tupperware container and some Boveda humidity packs can greatly defray the costs of getting into cigars. You could buy yourself a very good 10 cigar sampler for about $70 or so, keep them in a Tupperware container with a Boveda 69% humidity pack, and smoke one cigar each weekend for the rest of the summer. In my case, I knew I was into it enough to justify a nicely made humidor, so I sprung for one and filled it up with decent sticks. I like that I can keep about 100 cigars on hand and let them age, as many cigars will improve a lot over 6 months or so, just like pipe tobacco.

Anyhow, it doesn't have to be a real expensive hobby.

I will add that there is something about hot humid weather and cigars. They just go together very well. In the cooler months, I rarely smoke cigars (if at all) and stick to pipes. However, in summer, cigars just sing. Taking into account that cigars come from hot humid climates, it kind of makes sense. This is the environment they were developed in.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Good thread!
I like cigars! I like pipes!
For ME, I find I enjoy cigars more in warmer weather, and in more social environments (BBQ, tailgate, golf course, hanging with others, etc.). I prefer my pipes in solitude, year ‘round, inside or outside.
Something about the “process” or “mindfulness“ of the pipe that lends itself to a solo endeavor for me. I can be more carefree with a cigar.

Reactions: ChickenT00th

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Love cigars. But haven't had a good one since 80s. The smell lingers too long and wife doesn't like it. And seems like it takes long time to finish one which isn't true since I do finish my bowl of pipe. And they are expensive.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I will give you a Pass on the flavored cigar? Let's start with Oliva Serie V Lancero or Arturo Fuente Hemingway series (Between the Lines...Yum) Cameroon wrapper will do the trick.

Reactions: lawdawg

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
About half the time I smoke cigars, other half pipes. My buddy is a cigar smoker so I always have a cigar when he is over. When he is not and it’s just me, I’ll smoke various pipes and blends. I like them both, but do think I get more flavors from pipe tobacco.