PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
No, alcohol and cannabis are completely different in more ways than one.
One drinks alcohol in excess to forget.
Cannabis has the exact opposite where it throws in ones face whatever it is that one's attempting to hide. It tends to force one to confront ones issues.

Cannabis has tremendous healing qualities [apart from treating my chronic nerve pain, her anti-inflammatory effects has stopped the progression of my 'terminal' vascular disease]
Cannabis was widely prescribed back in the day to treat multiple conditions.

View attachment 193666

That was until Rockefeller started Big pHarma.
Since pHarmaceuticals are unable to compete with a safe natural plant that one can't patent, TPTB demonised cannabis with nonsense like the Marijuana Madness campaign. [How astounding how people to this day still believe that ridiculous propaganda]

In mans entire history there's not been a single death due to cannabis use.
Alcohol on the other hand has caused the death of millions.

View attachment 193667

The push towards decriminalisation of cannabis was due to pressure from citizens.
Were it left up to our so-called representatives, cannabis would not ever be decriminalised.
They'd much prefer the 'great unwashed' to be wasted on alcohol than a mind opening medicine like cannabis.

Just saying . . . .
Let us not forget Hemp vs Big Cotton , back in the day, it's always been about following the money , same reason Tesla died penniless...

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Let us not forget Hemp vs Big Cotton , back in the day, it's always been about following the money , same reason Tesla died penniless...
Yes and it shows the disingenuity of the Global Warming! . . . err I mean Climate Change! bozos and so-called environmentalists who completely ignore this issue in-particular.

It is said that hemp could replace all petrochemical products [except gasoline IIRC]
Hemp fiber is 4 x stronger than cotton. [The first Levi jeans were made from hemp]

Cotton relies on a heap of herbicides and insecticides to grow.
Hemp requires none.
An acre of cotton produces around a 500 pounds of fiber.
Hemp produces 1,500 pounds.
Hemp needs 40 times less water to grow than cotton.

Yet here we are still growing cotton at the expense of the planets health.
As you say; 'follow the money'.

P.S. For those who don't know; hemp and cannabis are not the same.
Hemp has less than 1% THC which is so low that it could not get a gnat high.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Like here in America, Tobacco is bad, but pot, hash, vape is ok to use . Here our esteemed idiots that run America, want tobacco banned , but pot legal. Kind of reminds me what a russian guy who moved to America said. The communist gave them cheap vodka to keep the people drunk, so they wouldn't think about what the government was doing. This is what our communist leaders want for America.
and as far as Finland goes, Tobacco is now a targeted subject,our Social & healthcare do all they can so that until 2035 nobody will smoke in this great nanny State anymore, but also they are not planning to legalize cannabis use and are still keeping increasing taxes on productions of all sort of beverages containing alcohol, in this regard Finland is worse of all Scandinavian countries on the very same level with Norway ,but in Norway they wages are much higher.for instance In Sweden a 1,75 tin of Rattrays Old Gowrie is about $ 30 but here in Fin $ 40 and a 25 fluid oz bottle of Ballantines Scotches costs $ 30 too

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I visited Oz for the first time a few weeks ago, specifically Melbourne. After reading all the posts here over the years about the high price of tobacco there, I was surprised to see the number of tobacco shops there. In the Central Business District, there was one every 200 meters it seemed. This tells me that there are still lots of smokers there though I assume they smoke less because of the costs. If I was a lawmaker here in the US, my takeaway from Oz would be to hike tobacco taxes to Oz levels because, as Oz demonstrates, astronomical taxes won't kill the golden goose.

My other takeaways: (1) Vegemite is not as good as Marmite (UK version); (2) there are no hard mints in Oz (I could find only mint chewing gum); and (3) Tim Tams are delicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeerparkDays

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I visited Oz for the first time a few weeks ago, specifically Melbourne. After reading all the posts here over the years about the high price of tobacco there, I was surprised to see the number of tobacco shops there. In the Central Business District, there was one every 200 meters it seemed. This tells me that there are still lots of smokers there though I assume they smoke less because of the costs. If I was a lawmaker here in the US, my takeaway from Oz would be to hike tobacco taxes to Oz levels because, as Oz demonstrates, astronomical taxes won't kill the golden goose.

My other takeaways: (1) Vegemite is not as good as Marmite (UK version); (2) there are no hard mints in Oz (I could find only mint chewing gum); and (3) Tim Tams are delicious.
I’m only aware of 2 tobacconists in Melbourne that have a decent range of pipe tobacco and cigars
Most of the “tobacconists” are cigarette and Vape stores with very poor choice of basic and very expensive OTC pipe tobacco blends, if any :(

You’re quite correct about Marmite tasting better than Vegemite - growing up in M’sia (as you did)
I also prefer Bovril (now that it is made from cows again) to Bonox (the Oz version). For many years Bovril was made from yeast (essentially a clone of Marmite) because of mad cow disease in the UK

Reactions: mingc

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Have you tried the kiwi marmite bro?

Reactions: mingc

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

I’m only aware of 2 tobacconists in Melbourne that have a decent range of pipe tobacco and cigars
Most of the “tobacconists” are cigarette and Vape stores with very poor choice of basic and very expensive OTC pipe tobacco blends, if any :(

You’re quite correct about Marmite tasting better than Vegemite.
I also prefer Bovril (now that it is made from cows again) to Bonox (the Oz version). For many years Bovril was made from yeast (essentially a clone of Marmite) because of mad cow disease in the UK

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

You’re quite correct about Marmite tasting better than Vegemite - growing up in M’sia (as you did)
Yes, the tobacco shops in the CBD are focused on vaping and that what I saw people smoking on the streets. I didn't even look for pipe tobacco!

I like beef Bovril too. I've not had the yeast version. Interestingly, here in the States, Amazon sells Vegemite and both UK and NZ Marmite but not beef Bovril. Probably a hangover from the mad cow days.
Have you tried the kiwi marmite bro?
I've not. I did buy an NZ made jar while I was in Oz though. I look forward to trying it!

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I agree. With how prevelant alcohol advertising is it's crazy to see how tobacco is so taboo, when binge drinking is normal per se.
The ACT (Australian Capital Territory ie Canberra) has passed legislation to decriminalise drug use (ALL, not just weed).
While at the same time tobacco is taxed at exorbitant levels.

Talk about letting inmates loose to run the asylum (in this case the ACT Legislative Assembly)
Thankfully the Australian Federal Government is looking at ways to revoke this

By the way, alcohol s taxed heftily too In Oz
When the GST (Goods and Services Tax) was introduced some years back, the Australian Federal Government worked out it was going to lose out on billions of dollars in alcohol tax.
So they introduced a WET (Wine Equalisation Tax) to claw back the money it would have lost.
So all alcohol is doubly taxed - a WET plus the GST. This adds over 60% to the wholesale price of a bottle of wine :mad:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The ACT (Australian Capital Territory ie Canberra) has passed legislation to decriminalise drug use (ALL, not just weed).
While at the same time tobacco is taxed at exorbitant levels.

Talk about letting inmates loose to run the asylum (in this case the ACT Legislative Assembly)
Thankfully the Australian Federal Government is looking at ways to revoke this

By the way, alcohol s taxed heftily too In Oz
When the GST (Goods and Services Tax) was introduced some years back, the Australian Federal Government worked out it was going to lose out on billions of dollars in alcohol tax.
So they introduced a WET (Wine Equalisation Tax) to claw back the money it would have lost.
So all alcohol is doubly taxed - a WET plus the GST. This adds over 60% to the wholesale price of a bottle of wine :mad:
Seems that, New Zeeland & Australia want to adopt Scandinavian style nanny state concept.

• Angry