***** = Highest/Best
MacBaren Old Dark Fired Review
Flavor: ***
Nicotine Strength: ****
Smoothness: **
Complexity: ***
Room Note: ***
Final Thoughts:
Very noticeable heavy topping smell when opening tin. Reminded me of a spicy barbecue sauce. Even after proper drying and smoking it slowly, this tobacco bit me quite badly (as do most MacBaren blends). Flavor of smoke same as tin note- spicy barbecue. Fairly complex, but too peppery for my taste. Decent room note.. again, spicy barbecue. Good nicotine strength. Overall, I was a quite disappointed with this one. Too heavily topped, too spicy, and too much bite.
Overall Rating: **
Pipe Used: Unfiltered Bent Dublin Briar
Will Buy Again: No

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
To my knowledge, ODF being an HH series tobacco, no topping I think you are just smelling the Kentucky dark fired tobacco. One of my favorite all day smokes.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Being very moist out of the tin, I'm guessing it has quite of a bit of PG. It is well known that MacBaren heavily tops many of their blends for flavoring- hence the bite many smokers get.
Don't get me wrong. I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately it bites me badly due to the PG or whatever else they put in it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Might be the Virginias that are biting. Let some dry out overnight and see what you think. I cube cut mine.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It is well known that MacBaren heavily tops many of their blends for flavoring- hence the bite many smokers get.
While mostly true, the HH line is supposed to be as natural as possible.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
ODF is one of my top 5 favorite tobaccos. Let the tin age a couple years then dry a bit before smoking = sublime. Your mileage may vary. :) I had the original 2011-2012 release with 4 years on it and plenty of bloom. Amazing.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
ODF is a deep rich smoke if you let it dry; I find its flavour is best released when I dry it to a crispy texture. The same with Bold Kentucky. CE is right, there's no noticeable topping on the HH line of Mac Baren tobaccos I've smoked.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I personally found ODF to be somewhat lacking and at the same time Bold Kentucky to be rather harsh. This was remedied by simply mixing the two 50/50 and that is just how I smoke both blends now.
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Does anyone else think this tastes a lot like Peterson's Irish Flake? It really had a lot of similarities for me. Given the ingredients I guess it makes sense. I really like both, but they are not for the faint of heart..

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I always found ODF and Bold Kentucky to be quite mild, and easily all day earthy, sweet smokes.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've been smoking ODF and Bold Kentucky every day for the past couple of months. Two of the most satisfying blends I've tried--rich and consistently flavorfull.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Along with the Aged Burley flake by Solani the ODF is One of my top favorite blend,yet the HH Bold I might like it even more unless that nicotine content which so far I'm not able to handle,so primarly I'm using the HH Bold as condiment to add punch to otherwise flat/mild blends.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Dry dry dry, and a whole world of tangy and smokiness will open up for you. This is a favorite Fall smoke for me, on the back porch, watching the leaves fall.
It was quite wet, so I did microwave it before smoking. Maybe not long enough, though.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Haven't tried Bold Kentucky, but this is definitely the hardest hitting Mac Baren I have tried. Their newer HH stuff is much better to my palate than the classic Mac Baren, which I find to be meek and tasteless.

Status
Not open for further replies.