PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Stockpiled forty tins of it in the year it first came out. But I've been too busy with other blends to smoke any recently.

Jul 15, 2011
I have a small sample of this somewhere that I tried to smoke a bowl of when I had a pretty bad head cold (stupid mistake on my part). I might have to dig in to this in the next couple of days and see if I can start picking it apart. Sounds like a winner.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Lots of good reports for this and the price is right. Just placed an order at 4noggins for a tin of this, orlik golden sliced and 2oz of Catamount.

Got to love the Macbaren blends for value.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Has anyone compared the tin version to the bulk? I recently bought a tin and it is great; almost sticky and burns perfect. I was thinking of buying an 8oz bag.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I have to admit that I'm quite fond of Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian. It's unfortunate that Syrian latakia is so rare to find as it seems to be a slightly smoother smoke than its Cypriot cousin.
Oh it absolutely is. Let me elaborate :)
For one, it's a different leaf varietal (Shekk-El-Bint) versus the Cyprian which is a descendant of Turkish (Smyrna).
Second, Cyprian Latakia is harvested from the top leafs which are low in sugar and high in Nicotine, while Syrian is harvested from a much smaller plant due to the less rich mountain soil, and is not topped.
Third, Cyprian Latakia is first sun cured for about 14-20 days and then fire cured over a mixture of woods (MASTIC: 90%, MYRTLE: 4 %, STONE PINE: 4 %, CYPRESS: 1%, KONISON : 1%) for about 20-30 days.
Syrian Latakia is dried in the shade (hung between trees)for 14-20 days and then fire cured over a different, more fragrant mix of woods (PINE Aleppo pine 70%, OAK Turkey oak (Quercus cerris) and Vallones oak 15%, SHRUB/HERBS Cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus libani), Cilician fir (Abies cilicica) and juniper (Juniperus excelsa) 15%) for 60-90 days (much longer than Cyprian!), and thus retains a much more floral, resinous, incense-like taste.
Fourth, the smoking huts for Cyprian are larger, and had a much larger fire pit than for Syrian, thus most likely also creating more heat, and adding more smoke.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Has anyone compared the tin version to the bulk? I recently bought a tin and it is great; almost sticky and burns perfect. I was thinking of buying an 8oz bag.
I've smoked both. Same stuff. You can't buy an 8 ounce bag, AFAIK, just by the pound.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I normally buy it in the 8oz bag. I have atleast 4 pounds now. It smokes, burns, and stores great.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah my bad, I see the bag is one pound. Quite the deal for a pound.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
You know buying a tin of HH Vintage Syrian has gotten me on a Syrian binge! I have ordered 8 other blends that contain Syrian. Currently enjoying a bowl of McClelland Wilderness. Too bad G.L Pease does not have access to Syrian Latakia. They would be able to make great blends with it. Syrian Latakia is really enjoyable. I am going to stock up before it is all gone but I wonder how it will hold up over time since it is aged and has not been produced for years? 5-10 years from now will it lose it oomph?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
My personal experience confirms that latakia mellows - either that or my taste buds are completely shot...
The latakia blend you cellar today WILL NOT be the same in one year, let alone five.
Keep that in mind with any aging experiments featuring latakia.
Tins that are hititng 2-3 years old might be a bit long in the tooth for someone who prefers the fresher, smokier side of latakia tobacco...

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks, hfearly for the info. I knew they were different plants, but I didn't realize just how different they were based on cultivation, curing, and processing.
-Jason

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'm still hoping some US company will eventually take up the "traditional" process of creating Syrian Latakia. It might not be exactly the same (soil conditions/climate/seed mutation), but they might come reasonably close to the original, which would already be a big hit of the jackpot with regards to preserving our pipe smoking enjoyment :)

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Really like this MacBaren HH VS. It has been a good change after finishing tin of nightcap and it is definately on par if not better.

cjshelton875

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Hello, I purchased a tin of HH Vintage Syrian just about 2 wks ago, it just arrived, I took one smoke and couldn't finish it. I thought it awful. Would anyone want to trade for something?

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
This, as with all HH series, are outstanding tobaccos. If I had to smoke only one blend with latakia in it, it would be this no quesiton.

Status
Not open for further replies.