PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
My revised thoughts on HH Latakia Flake, as something, I wasn’t sure what, was bothering since I first tasted this blend.(*More on that later)

Opening the tin, I’m greeted with the familiar, almost regimentally standardized aroma of English (true English) blends. That deep, rich, intoxicating (or nauseating if you’re not a fan) campfire aroma. One can immediately distinguish between, say, an American made English blend like Maltese Falcon, Northwoods or Peretti Omega, versus the more legendary (no knock on the Americans, I love em) English/Euro blends like the Dunhill trinity.

Like the rest of the McB HH flakes, these are quite thin, not as much as the Pure Virginia, but close. Moisture content, for me at least, is spot on, and more than suitable for smoking straight from the tin. No drying required.

I’ve tried rubbing out the flake, cube cutting, and fold n stuff; with no discernible differences to the flavor profile. As my preferred method is cube cutting, that’s what I did for my latest tasting.

One match to both char and light is all I required. (*Im a big adherent to only charring the tobacco then puffing lightly to ignite the ember, versus the char/tamp/light approach).

The initial flavor, toasty and woodsy. A bit of sweetness, but it’s quite subdued versus the predominant flavor of the Latakia. This profile is maintained through the first 1/4 maybe 3/8 of the bowl.

At this point, the string section starts up, as the Orientals introduce themselves as a light essence of incense. The Latakia starts to make way for the Virginia and Orientals, while still remaining at the forefront, it’s no longer the predominant flavor. They are melding together.

Ah ha! That’s what was bothering me. The itch that was bothering me. * I recognize this flavor. It’s almost a perfect match to My Mixture 965 (modern version.... not Murray’s or pre 80’s iterations). I smoke 965 almost religiously and don’t know why I didn’t realize this before.

There is a bit more harshness, no, a bit more EDGE.... but it’s almost indistinguishable save for the fact I smoke 965 in such copious quantities.

Burns well enough, though there are remnants, small though they are, of a few cubes. Not a white ash that I get smoking 965, but a grey ash, bordering on matte grey. Of course 965 is ribbon cut, and allows for more oxygen to pass, so that certainly accounts for most of the color difference. (If not entirely)

The sweetie doesn’t care for the aroma, not surprising as she just doesn’t like English blend aromas save for the Falcon, which she finds tolerable/borderline pleasant.

I can’t say I’d stock up on this blend, as it’s almost a clone of 965, but then again, it’s certainly more convenient to store Flake than ribbon. Really solid, and if I didn’t already have 40+ lbs of 965; I’d cellar this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah ha! That’s what was bothering me. The itch that was bothering me. * I recognize this flavor. It’s almost a perfect match to My Mixture 965 (modern version.... not Murray’s or pre 80’s iterations). I smoke 965 almost religiously and don’t know why I didn’t realize this before.
Uh-oh. Sounds like you may be on the verge of having anything with latakia tasting exactly alike. It happened to me several years ago and now I can't tell one English blend from another and now rarely smoke them.

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
My revised thoughts on HH Latakia Flake, as something, I wasn’t sure what, was bothering since I first tasted this blend.(*More on that later)

Opening the tin, I’m greeted with the familiar, almost regimentally standardized aroma of English (true English) blends. That deep, rich, intoxicating (or nauseating if you’re not a fan) campfire aroma. One can immediately distinguish between, say, an American made English blend like Maltese Falcon, Northwoods or Peretti Omega, versus the more legendary (no knock on the Americans, I love em) English/Euro blends like the Dunhill trinity.

Like the rest of the McB HH flakes, these are quite thin, not as much as the Pure Virginia, but close. Moisture content, for me at least, is spot on, and more than suitable for smoking straight from the tin. No drying required.

I’ve tried rubbing out the flake, cube cutting, and fold n stuff; with no discernible differences to the flavor profile. As my preferred method is cube cutting, that’s what I did for my latest tasting.

One match to both char and light is all I required. (*Im a big adherent to only charring the tobacco then puffing lightly to ignite the ember, versus the char/tamp/light approach).

The initial flavor, toasty and woodsy. A bit of sweetness, but it’s quite subdued versus the predominant flavor of the Latakia. This profile is maintained through the first 1/4 maybe 3/8 of the bowl.

At this point, the string section starts up, as the Orientals introduce themselves as a light essence of incense. The Latakia starts to make way for the Virginia and Orientals, while still remaining at the forefront, it’s no longer the predominant flavor. They are melding together.

There is a bit more harshness, no, a bit more EDGE.... but it’s almost indistinguishable save for the fact I smoke 965 in such copious quantities.

Burns well enough, though there are remnants, small though they are, of a few cubes. Not a white ash that I get smoking 965, but a grey ash, bordering on matte grey. Of course 965 is ribbon cut, and allows for more oxygen to pass, so that certainly accounts for most of the color difference. (If not entirely)

The sweetie doesn’t care for the aroma, not surprising as she just doesn’t like English blend aromas save for the Falcon, which she finds tolerable/borderline pleasant.

I can’t say I’d stock up on this blend, as it’s almost a clone of 965, but then again, it’s certainly more convenient to store Flake than ribbon. Really solid, and if I didn’t already have 40+ lbs of 965; I’d cellar this.
First of all, I was surprised to hear that you have 40 pounds of 965!

I like it a lot, and it's in my Regular rotation.

I've also posted a review on my blog (unfortunately, it's Korean),
the taste I felt was mainly salty and sour. And there was a taste of smoked meat.
I think the sour taste is probably from Latakia and Oriental.

When I summarize the review in one line, I wrote that it tastes like salted sausage.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Uh-oh. Sounds like you may be on the verge of having anything with latakia tasting exactly alike. It happened to me several years ago and now I can't tell one English blend from another and now rarely smoke them.
Nah. I do smoke a lot of English and Balkan, but everything in my cellar is distinctly different.
I’ve Plum Pudding, Maltese Falcon, Westminster, Hal o the Wynd, Sobranie, EMP, Tigray, the list goes on.
None taste the same save for this recent smoke and my beloved 965.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
First of all, I was surprised to hear that you have 40 pounds of 965!

I like it a lot, and it's in my Regular rotation.

I've also posted a review on my blog (unfortunately, it's Korean),
the taste I felt was mainly salty and sour. And there was a taste of smoked meat.
I think the sour taste is probably from Latakia and Oriental.

When I summarize the review in one line, I wrote that it tastes like salted sausage.
I’ve two tins of pre 80’s, 34 tins of various years of Murray’s era, and bought 22 lbs of the bulk when I thought STG would no longer produce Dunhill blends. (Wow, has it really been 3 years! Since then?)

Reactions: Leo

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
HH Latakia Flake is not bad, I had a tin last summer but wouldn't be buying again. It is quite tame and MacBarrened so it can't compete with other Latakias I smoke, like HU's and Dan Old Ironsides.

One thing I remember about the tin is a distinct vinegar smell reminding me of Old Dark Fired, rather than classic Latakia smell.

Reactions: JOHN72

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Everyone loves Korean blood sausage. It's given. Now, if you like that, and liver, you will love 선진국.
Wo, Wow... I doubted my eyes. 한글!!!
IM,PRESSED!

Yup You're Right!

'선짓국 or 선지국' Right? It's the first time I've heard that word from a foreigner. and it's written in Korean!

P.S
'선진국' It means an advanced country in Korean. Anyway, You ARE SO AMAZING. I'm surprised to death.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
IM,PRESSED!

Yup You're Right!

'선짓국 or 선지국' Right? It's the first time I've heard that word from a foreigner. and it's written in Korean!

P.S
'선진국' It means an advanced country in Korean. Anyway, You ARE SO AMAZING. I'm surprised to death.
선짓국 :)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
IM,PRESSED!

Yup You're Right!

P.S
Don't be terribly surprised, you've stumbled into a den of eclectic food lovers.?