PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Got home last night after rolling my ankle doing a board slide on a down rail at the local park. I limped up to the porch and my wife knowing the routine brought me the cold gel pack from the freezer and some gorilla duct tape. After securing the gel pack I had my oldest boy grab my kit ( a leather roll containing a lighter, pipe tool, and cleaners), a jar of some HH Old Dark fired the ready rubbed variety, and my MM Diplomat. Thanking them profusely and asking one last favor in a few moments I was delivered a cold Topo-Chico. Finally the ritual could begin.

Unrolling the leather flap and breaking each ready rubbed strand into 3 equal parts I made my pinch pile and loaded the cob. This cob usually smoked dried 5 brothers but I knew I needed something dark and powerful tonight and the Diplomat was todays burley in my rotation. Upon first toke after the char light and tamp I was blown away by how full, flavorful, and creamy the smoke was. I had never experienced the ODF this way in a briar, this truly was a heavenly marriage. I was stunned also by the slow, cool, even burn. I sat there puffing and sipping for 45 minutes. By the end of the bowl my head was a balloon floating high above my body and the ghost of my throbbing ankle was long gone.

Moral/s

1. Don‘t skate a new deck when you know you painted the grip backwards ( bad luck)
2. Always smoke the ODF in a big old Cob.
3. Your family are your legs without them you could not stand at all…

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
2. Always smoke the ODF in a big old Cob.
Since Smoking Pipes has come out with a new MM Cob, the Southport Ferryman, I decided to to order two previous C&D cob releases, the Charles Towne Cobbler and Kingston Judge. Wanted those since they're limited releases and thought it'd be nice to at least have 1 of each. I didn't bother with the Ferryman as the stem on it is short, akin to a nose warmer. Haven't tried that stem type yet and I've little interest in it (I'm almost completely partial to a bent), but this give me a good starter for one of those.

ODF was a nice treat the last time I had a bowl. something like a nice dessert at the end of a day, not something to have as an everyday for me.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Since Smoking Pipes has come out with a new MM Cob, the Southport Ferryman, I decided to to order two previous C&D cob releases, the Charles Towne Cobbler and Kingston Judge. Wanted those since they're limited releases and thought it'd be nice to at least have 1 of each. I didn't bother with the Ferryman as the stem on it is short, akin to a nose warmer. Haven't tried that stem type yet and I've little interest in it (I'm almost completely partial to a bent), but this give me a good starter for one of those.

ODF was a nice treat the last time I had a bowl. something like a nice dessert at the end of a day, not something to have as an everyday for me.
Yeah on the ODF it’s my “let’s get comfortably numb” go to for sure

Reactions: dunnyboy

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Funny I just switched out my Chris Robert’s twin tail for a scum co trad that very day , so yeah a bit of an adjustment, the twin was getting soggy , and my distro was out so back to trad till supplies come back , love the symmetrical shapes though , shred everything
Can someone please translate this into English! I have no idea what this means. But am willing to learn?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I used to skate, but those days are long behind me now. A compound fracture to my left arm, left me in a full arm cast for over a year and gave me permanent nerve damage. The night before last, I was pushing my daughter on her bike without training wheels and I’m ridiculously sore today, I couldn’t imagine skating now, I’d kill myself… I’m becoming an old man though.

To your point, Old Dark Fired is some good stuff. It’s a great ode to the traditional British style pipe tobacco.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Can someone please translate this into English! I have no idea what this means. But am willing to learn?
We are talking skateboards here , they usually have a nose and a tale hence ( trad) traditional. Robert’s is a pro skateboarder who uses a twin tale board ( symmetrical) shape. Soggy means used up. ?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I used to skate, but those days are long behind me now. A compound fracture to my left arm, left me in a full arm cast for over a year and gave me permanent nerve damage. The night before last, I was pushing my daughter on her bike without training wheels and I’m ridiculously sore today, I couldn’t imagine skating now, I’d kill myself… I’m becoming an old man though.

To your point, Old Dark Fired is some good stuff. It’s a great ode to the traditional British style pipe tobacco.
Broke my ankle in a bowl while my wife was pregnant and I was just starting a new construction management job was 45 at the time , yeah that went over well with everyone ???

• Wow
Reactions: hawky454