PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdtakacs1

Lurker
Feb 29, 2020
Hi Folks -

I opened a tin of Mac Baren No 1 and it seemed rather dry. Is that normal for this blend? It smokes perfectly fine but wondering if I need to add some moisture to it?

Thanks!

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It’s not normal for it to be dry, did the seal “whoosh” when you opened it? It’s dry compared to an aromatic, but still moist enough that I dry it out before smoking. In either case I would not rehydrate it, unless it crumbles to dust when rubbed out. Otherwise it’s probably good to go, and the drier it is the less bite it has.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hi Folks -

I opened a tin of Mac Baren No 1 and it seemed rather dry. Is that normal for this blend? It smokes perfectly fine but wondering if I need to add some moisture to it?

Thanks!
How old is the tin?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I buy Virginia #1 by bulk and it's always somewhat dry out of the bag. I find it smokes best when it's dry. Regardless whether dry or moist, tin or bulk, you need to smoke it slow to cut down on the bite and get a good taste.

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I buy Virginia #1 by bulk and it's always somewhat dry out of the bag. I find it smokes best when it's dry. Regardless whether dry or moist, tin or bulk, you need to smoke it slow to cut down on the bite and get a good taste.

I agree. Also, I find this blend greatly improves with a few years of age. The acidity level drops quite a bit after five years.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I just rediscovered yesterday a 2 oz zip lock bag of Va No. 1 that I bought around 2010, stashed in one of my plastic storage bins. It was still springy. So, I suspect it's got a fair amount of humectants in it. If yours bounces back when you squeeze a portion of it, it's not too dry.

I'm smoking some of mine right now and now remeber why I stashed it away. It bit like crazy! I'm a little more impervious to tongue bite these days, but it still bites. The stuff that I could taste beyond the bite was quite nice. I think I'll jar it and put it away for another 10 years. Maybe it won't bite then. I hope you enjoy yours (what bites me may not bite other people; it's funny that way).

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just rediscovered yesterday a 2 oz zip lock bag of Va No. 1 that I bought around 2010, stashed in one of my plastic storage bins. It was still springy. So, I suspect it's got a fair amount of humectants in it. If yours bounces back when you squeeze a portion of it, it's not too dry.

I'm smoking some of mine right now and now remeber why I stashed it away. It bit like crazy! I'm a little more impervious to tongue bite these days, but it still bites. The stuff that I could taste beyond the bite was quite nice. I think I'll jar it and put it away for another 10 years. Maybe it won't bite then. I hope you enjoy yours (what bites me may not bite other people; it's funny that way).
THATS SPICE

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'm smoking some of mine right now and now remeber why I stashed it away. It bit like crazy! I'm a little more impervious to tongue bite these days, but it still bites.

Mac Baren's sweet VA blends tend to be more fussy and sensitive to burn temperature than a lot of other VA blends. I think figuring out VA #1 is worth the trouble, but aged or not the danger is never far away.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Man, I've been drying it for 10 years. Actually more because the latest I could have bought it was 2010. Steve Book's handwriting was on the label and Steve left that shop around 2010. I probably bought it years before then. It was in a baggie the whole time. And it's still moist!

• Wow
Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.