Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have tried this blend over and over and over. I want to like it but, MAN do I HATE this stuff. Never fails to bite the daylights out of my tongue! Last time I tried it, I had to stop half way through.
I was wondering about the Bite Factor, starting to get interested in that it doesn't have Latakia but I tend to stick with the HH line of Mac Barren and then I wont get bit...

Reactions: Beowoulf

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
Funny to come across this thread. Ed Burak sold a ton of Mac Baren Mixture as "Scottish Blend" when Connoisseur Pipe Shop was in business. I just ordered a few more pounds of Mac Baren from a shop that had a sale on it several weeks ago. I now have about 30 pounds of it. Much of it has been blended with Perique, and it really makes it a little smoother.
Interesting comment! I've been smoking Mixture (or Scottish Blend) since the 70's. It's so complex. I've never had a problem with bite. While reading these posts, I'm smoking some in my Peterson xl315 (rusticated) & enjoying it immensely. A coincidence to read your comment, because I was just thinking that it might be fun to try some small blending experiments. I usually do these in a dish, maybe 3 or 4 pipefuls, and was thinking Mixture with a pinch of Perique could be interesting. Also, Mixture with a pinch of Latakia could also be fun. I have a sealed (OLD) 9oz tin, long discontinued. The day will come when (ecstatically) I'll crack it. : ) Plus, I also have a similar tin of Golden Extra, sealed as well. Lots of great AGE in both of these. Oddly, I can't recall where or even when I picked them up. (???)
1706327175742.png1706327511402.png

Attachments

• 1706327327302.png
    1706327327302.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 4

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Interesting comment! I've been smoking Mixture (or Scottish Blend) since the 70's. It's so complex. I've never had a problem with bite. While reading these posts, I'm smoking some in my Peterson xl315 (rusticated) & enjoying it immensely. A coincidence to read your comment, because I was just thinking that it might be fun to try some small blending experiments. I usually do these in a dish, maybe 3 or 4 pipefuls, and was thinking Mixture with a pinch of Perique could be interesting. Also, Mixture with a pinch of Latakia could also be fun. I have a sealed (OLD) 9oz tin, long discontinued. The day will come when (ecstatically) I'll crack it. : ) Plus, I also have a similar tin of Golden Extra, sealed as well. Lots of great AGE in both of these. Oddly, I can't recall where or even when I picked them up. (???)
View attachment 282741View attachment 282743
I've smoked 10 year old Mixture - ambrosia.

Reactions: Ryan and Leomania

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Just found this thread due to another reply that moved it up in the list........

About 1.5 years ago I found this blend and blew through 1, then 2, and on to my 3rd tin very quickly. That was and still is, a very unusual event for me, no matter how much I liked the first tin.

Like some, it has so many varietals in it that each time was seemingly something different, something to complement any flavor profile I currently had in the palate, that it pleased very consistently.

Bam! Suddenly it tasted like hot air, and started to give me the bite. I had to back off and continue exploring other blends as is my usual pattern.

But in the scheme of things, I generally know very quickly if I prefer a new-to-me blend, yet it's not uncommon that by the end of 1 tin, I'm really ready for something different and may not come back to "this one" for a while.

I've several tins in the stash of McB Scottish and I fully expect that when I open them in the future, not too closely to one another, that it will give me a great result on that now & then basis. I'm pleased to have them for the future.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Funny to come across this thread. Ed Burak sold a ton of Mac Baren Mixture as "Scottish Blend" when Connoisseur Pipe Shop was in business. I just ordered a few more pounds of Mac Baren from a shop that had a sale on it several weeks ago. I now have about 30 pounds of it. Much of it has been blended with Perique, and it really makes it a little smoother.
I think you may actually be referring to Scottish Ribbon. Ed liked MacBaren products including Mixture: Scottish Blend. Several of Ed's customers who liked Scottish Ribbon have opined that Mixture was a component of Scottish Ribbon. It's also been suggested that the other component was something Ed called Indonesian Cavendish. It was a "natural" cavendish similar in style to Amphora Brown that Ed obtained from one of the blending houses like Lane Ltd. I think Paul Bonacquisti makes a replica of Scottish Ribbon which has Mixture as a component, called Liebman's Scottish Flake. I've heard it's quite similar to Scottish Ribbon.

Reactions: Ryan

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
I think you may actually be referring to Scottish Ribbon. Ed liked MacBaren products including Mixture: Scottish Blend. Several of Ed's customers who liked Scottish Ribbon have opined that Mixture was a component of Scottish Ribbon. It's also been suggested that the other component was something Ed called Indonesian Cavendish. It was a "natural" cavendish similar in style to Amphora Brown that Ed obtained from one of the blending houses like Lane Ltd. I think Paul Bonacquisti makes a replica of Scottish Ribbon which has Mixture as a component, called Liebman's Scottish Flake. I've heard it's quite similar to Scottish Ribbon.
Smoked quite a bit Scottish Ribbon in the 80's Was wondering about the relationship between Scottish Ribbon and Mixture Scottish. Any idea of his Turkish Black? That was great too.

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
I agree, this blend has the perfect amount of Kentucky in it for the components.
Creates a great warm smokiness that mixes perfectly with the sweetness of those honey kissed VAs.
Absolutely love this one.
Surprisingly, it's never bit me neither.

Reactions: Leomania

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Smoked quite a bit Scottish Ribbon in the 80's Was wondering about the relationship between Scottish Ribbon and Mixture Scottish. Any idea of his Turkish Black? That was great too.
Yes it certainly was. All I can say about TB is that I'm reminded of Nightcap, Margate, Exotique and something readily available called Mountains of Madness made by KBV. M of M is quite good. Whoever made TB whether Ed or a blending house, the quality of the components today are likely to be inferior to or to be kind, "different "than what was available back in the day. Even if those old Connoisseur blends were around today they probably would not taste the way they did in the old days. Same problem for Scottish Ribbon, I would think.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Yes it certainly was. All I can say about TB is that I'm reminded of Nightcap, Margate, Exotique and something readily available called Mountains of Madness made by KBV. M of M is quite good. Whoever made TB whether Ed or a blending house, the quality of the components today are likely to be inferior to or to be kind, "different "than what was available back in the day. Even if those old Connoisseur blends were around today they probably would not taste the way they did in the old days. Same problem for Scottish Ribbon, I would think.
You're right on all counts.

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
Just ordered this Greek Alexander bend billiard pipe. Thinking to break this pipe with MB Scottish Mixture.

View attachment 283504
John, Let me step up here & offer my services. To relieve you of the arduous burden of breaking in this absolutely fantastic looking pipe (loving the bevel on the rim), just go ahead & send it to me. It'll be broken in with Scottish Mixture, some Golden Extra, some Club Blend & probably other Mac Baren's offerings. It'll take awhile, at least 6 months or more, but then I'll return this pipe, with a tear in my eye. It's the least I can do.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Scottish Mixture was my go to blend many years ago. Smoked a lot of it over the years. It is an interesting combination of tobaccos with a pleasant room note. I have a tin with several years on it I will likely open in the spring.

Reactions: Ryan

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
John, Let me step up here & offer my services. To relieve you of the arduous burden of breaking in this absolutely fantastic looking pipe (loving the bevel on the rim), just go ahead & send it to me. It'll be broken in with Scottish Mixture, some Golden Extra, some Club Blend & probably other Mac Baren's offerings. It'll take awhile, at least 6 months or more, but then I'll return this pipe, with a tear in my eye. It's the least I can do.
Nice idea. I'll think about it....

And i paid for this pipe 50€ (The cheapest Savinelli/Peterson pipes, are 100€ here).

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Just arrived. I love it. There is another hole too, like Peterson system reservoir moisture trap 😅.

I can't wait to smoke her.

IMG_20240201_000939.jpg
IMG_20240201_000957.jpg
IMG_20240201_001612.jpg
IMG_20240201_001018.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_000957.jpg
    IMG_20240201_000957.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0