PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Can someone clue me in on the years cans of Mac Baren were imported by Swisher? I seem to remember the Swisher label being indicative of a date range, but can't recall. I have a 9oz can of Virginia #1 and am just curious as to its age.
Thanks in advance.
-PST

P

pipebuddy

Can you show a pic? Sometimes, by the look of the label, one can tell within a 5-7 year range.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Very very roughly, you see "fireside" up till 79, there are a few oddballs (Martin Bros, Faber, etc) then it seems to have been swisher for a good while, like late 80s into the 90s, and then Kretek in the new century, and I can't even remember who it is now.
If you super super care, Per Jensen is pretty available on facebook and the Mac Baren forum.
Anyway, if you have a swisher tin, it's probably 15 years old and could be more, is my understanding.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Agree with Sasquatch.
I have an old tin of Roll Cake circa 1996 with the Swisher International sticker.
That was back when Roll Cake contained Perique.

Sadly my tin is empty, I keep it as a reminder of what once was. :|

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Might be a bit late but will post the info for future reference.
I have a sealed 9oz tin of Virginia No. 1 with the Swisher label, I purchased it 20 years ago. There is a computer generated printing on the can bottom that startes with 281094 and then gives their www.macbarens.com.
Part of me wants to think that's Oct. 28.1994 but another part of me thinks that's a bit early for a web address.

Status
Not open for further replies.