PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Dark Twist was an epiphany for me which changed the course of my tobacco preferences forever.
I think it was in 1977-8? when me, my then girlfriend, my buddy and his girlfriend were on vaccation in Dk, where I discovered the world of MB. Pipe tobacco was much cheaper there at times than in Germany. (Cigarettes were expensive). You could get all these lovely tins and pouches and even danish pipes like Stanwell, Svendborg, Jensen, Larsen in each supermarket along the westcoast of Jutland. The Dark Twist is one of the tobaccos I still smoke today. I have so many beautiful memories of that days.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It's wonderful. Totally mellow and outrageously sweet. Most of the spice has faded, it's like smoking a stack of pancakes. I have a stack of these as well (Fireside import sticker) and they are magic.
Pancakes is the perfect description. I went through a can that was almost as old and remember it just like that. Almost maple syrupy. I've been wanting to go to one of the OTR Pipe Club meetings. May just bring it.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Dark Twist is a Interesting tobacco. Picked up a 1 oz sample a while back and just had another bowl the other day. It is pretty complex flavor wise far more so than LBF or LTF. As mentioned, Scottish mixture is another MacB blend that is complex and is a excellent choice as well.

The good news is both are available in bulk so you can get a pound at least to have some for future smokes.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I need some help with this blend, the descriptions sound like I'll love it, but then again I am not a refined Virginia smoker, I need strength and oomph to enjoy a smoke yet I understand all these MacBaren curlies (Stockton, Dark Twist, Club blend) are very old Danish (which I translate as mild and sweet) blends for all-day smoking. Is this an accurate assumption?

I've also been eyeing the Three Nuns (standard, and green) for a while.

I should probably get them all in my next order, so far I haven't had a combination of Virginia +/-Kentucky +/- Perique I didn't like.

Reactions: ofafeather

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I need some help with this blend, the descriptions sound like I'll love it, but then again I am not a refined Virginia smoker, I need strength and oomph to enjoy a smoke yet I understand all these MacBaren curlies (Stockton, Dark Twist, Club blend) are very old Danish (which I translate as mild and sweet) blends for all-day smoking. Is this an accurate assumption?

I've also been eyeing the Three Nuns (standard, and green) for a while.

I should probably get them all in my next order, so far I haven't had a combination of Virginia +/-Kentucky +/- Perique I didn't like.
Try Doblone D’oro ?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I tries it these days. First impression was "they look and smell wonderful", first smoking impression was "shit I just bought 250g of tongue bitting air".

Smoking it after rubbing out, drying for a day and smoking it very, VERY slowly brings out a very nice, sweet, bready, maple pancakey taste. The DFK content is laughable for a DFK fiend like me, but it is a very pleasant, MILD smoke. I agree with @deathmetal on tobaccoreviews: if they made a turbocharged HH version they'd put a lot of blends out of business.

Will likely cellar it.

Reactions: ofafeather

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I tries it these days. First impression was "they look and smell wonderful", first smoking impression was "shit I just bought 250g of tongue bitting air".

Smoking it after rubbing out, drying for a day and smoking it very, VERY slowly brings out a very nice, sweet, bready, maple pancakey taste. The DFK content is laughable for a DFK fiend like me, but it is a very pleasant, MILD smoke.

You're right that the classic Mac Baren blends tend towards mild and sweet (and bitey if you're not careful). If you're looking for heavier tobacco flavors the HH line or a different blender is the way.

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
How does Dark Twist compare to Newminster 403? I understand they are similar but having not tried either and looking at prices per pound, is MacB 2x as good as 403? It’s about twice the price.

I’ve been wanting to try them, so with my next order next month I’m putting in for a sample of each but would love to hear some opinions in the meantime.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
How does Dark Twist compare to Newminster 403? I understand they are similar but having not tried either and looking at prices per pound, is MacB 2x as good as 403? It’s about twice the price.

I’ve been wanting to try them, so with my next order next month I’m putting in for a sample of each but would love to hear some opinions in the meantime.
Not to be vague, but 403 in my opinion is similar, good...but...just not quite *as good* as Dark Twist. I can't place my finger on it. Both are fine blends and worth having around, but something about Dark Twist is just right. I want to explore more of the Mac Baren roll cakes -such a cool history with that cut/company too.

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
Egads my man! This stuff is art, the blender’s art, and even at MacB prices, it’s still the cheapest it’s ever going to be. Live a little. puffy
I have no problem ponying up for some great tobacco, the budget’s not nearly as tight these days. Just wondering for comparison purposes. I see 403 suggested quiet a bit for DFK blends, but (at least I) haven’t seen MB Dark Twist suggested nearly as much. A tin is coming with my next order, excited to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.