PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmills

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2011
So I tried out some of this luxury Bullseye flake that rickpal was nice enough to send me to broaden my horizons and I gotta say I really liked it. I mostly dig heavy aromatics but this is good stuff. I'm hoping soon to order the middle earth sampler cause that stuff sounds great and I'm an LOTR nerd, but does anyone have any suggestions for stuff like the bullseye flake that I might like? I'm still new and itching to try everything! :D

damien83

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2011
I agree with unclearthur the other 2 PS the LTF and LNF are just awesome smokes and a must try. But if you are digging on the LBF I'd say try some Davidoff Flake Medallions, they are alot like the LBF, coin size with a black cavendish center, very smooth, spicy peppery goodness like the LBF.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Oh your touching home here, Davidoff Flake Medallions, a little pricey but mmmm tastey stuff with a perfect balance, in my personal taste anyways. A tad stronger perique than other coins. crush em or stuff em burns well, I like to let a coin set out for an hour or two before smoking. Smoke gently and midway you'll get one of those heavenly smoke feelings as a whiff reaches the nose, bout when your mind wonders away and you forget your smoking a pipe, it seems to grab ya and say, not so fast, I'm here too..

If you've ever walked across a freshly cut alph-alpha field you'll get the aroma upon opening a new tin. Like I said, I bit pricey, but well worth a try.

Jul 12, 2011
@Briar Bully~I loved Davidoff Flake Medallions when I first started smoke'in...had some tin QC issues..some opened ones had muted flavors...so I have been staying away and went with Escudo for contant flavor punch...very good VaPer...also Marlin Flake is one of my favs :puffy:

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
jbmills
Glad u liked!! One of my favs too!!! Gonna have to try the other flakes as mentioned by Uncle Arthur!

jbmills

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks to all for the recommendations.

@briarbully- I grew up working on a farm so the smell of alfalfa always brings back good memories.

@rickpal- you are the man for turning me on to this stuff, I'm def gonna have to order some of this and the other ones mentioned here. My only complaint was being new it took me a while to figure out how to prep it for smoking. :oops: I think my next order will be the LOTR sampler and some of the LBF.

So much tobacco, so little money. :D

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
If you like LBF, you'll love Escudo. Just picked up some more Cope's myself :)

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to get some, post-haste.

Dunhill makes a knock-off that's pretty good too :mrgreen: (and yes, that was tongue-in-cheek, so don't send me Dunhill hate mail).

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If you can find it, Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture is another VaPer that I think is better than Escudo OR Bulls Eye Flake. It's been discontinued so it may not be readily available, but if you happen to see some pick it up.
-Jason

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
PS Bulls Eye has gotten hard to get recently for some reason.....Finally found it and ordered a couple boxes of it and Navy Flake. Always happens when I find something I like....gets harder to find. :puffpipe:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
How does the PS Navy Flake compare to something like MacBaren's Navy Flake? I'm a big fan of MacBaren's Navy!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
How does the PS Navy Flake compare to something like MacBaren's Navy Flake?
Brewshooter: If you are referring to Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend; there are several.
1st: If you are referring to PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake: Then Plumcake has no perique.

2nd: PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake is "flake" and comes cut into coins, where Plumcake is not a flake and is a ribbon cut.

Both are excellent smokes, but very different.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I'm seconding the Davidoff Flake Medallions.
I got a tin in Austria, and its served me well. Maybe I'll have to try the PS Version to see how it compares.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Brewshooter: If you are referring to Mac Baren Plumcake Navy Blend; there are several.
1st: If you are referring to PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake: Then Plumcake has no perique.

2nd: PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake is "flake" and comes cut into coins, where Plumcake is not a flake and is a ribbon cut.

Both are excellent smokes, but very different.
Thanks Lawrence, I have some PS Luxury Bullseye Flake in my cellar right now. I'm actually curious how the PS Luxury Navy Flake compares to the Mac Baren Navy Flake.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i smoke both, enjoy both and they are very simular, at leaste to me, in taste. if you like one, you should like the other, kinda the same, but different...

Status
Not open for further replies.