Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I walk and smoke in the am just about every day. I dont do that in the evening much because smoke stronger blends in the evening and as the nicotene hits me i walk slower and slower. I figure something like dark flake would leave me completely stationary.
My biggest problem is that my dog walks at a very fast pace. She almost runs and I have to keep up. Afterwards she sleeps like a baby. Snores like an older guy after a large meal.

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
Lunting is up there with people who have usernames and youtube channels called such and such "piper". Do you play the bag pipes? No? Not a piper.

Reactions: BROBS and upnorth1

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Lunting
Lunting
is a verb meaning to walk around while smoking a pipe. Tobacco was first brought to Europe by the Spanish in 1528 and the word ‘lunting’ is almost as old, first appearing somewhere around 1540 – 1550. Lunting is what pipe smokers do as a means of stress relief or to relax although it should be remembered that in large quantities tobacco can be hallucinogenic and the exercise will increase respiration rate, heart rate and may speed the absorption of any hallucinogens.

Additional meanings for lunting are emitting smoke or steam from a pipe and lighting a fire, torch or tobacco pipe. The word itself comes from either the Dutch word 'lont' meaning a slow match or fuse or the Middle Low German 'lonte' meaning a wick.

Urban Dictionary, 2020.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the forbidden word is some sort of Scottish coinage. I like to walk and I enjoy smoking a pipe, and I have taken pleasure in doing them simultaneously. However, my complaints with the combination are that the breeze that often accompanies a nice walk often burns up a bowl of blend fairly quickly, and though there are wind caps, they are one more thing to jungle with the pipe and lighter/match. So then I find repacking the pipe a bit of hassle that distracts from the cadence of walking and the joy of observing the passing scene. I do enjoy the sport of relighting a pipe in the wind, using trees, berms, buildings, etc., as wind blocks. In fact, I usually find myself preferring to just walk or just smoke a pipe, truth be told.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I must be missing out on that hallucinogenic tobacco....
that's funny because well almost any drug can do that. And tobacco is basically like deadly night shade but with different ratios of the drugs. The thing is the hallucinogenic qualities really only happen if you make someone like Burning Embers look casual and occasional about their tobacco consumption. Like even most of us would probably die from nicotine if we took enough tobacco for it to be genuinely hallucinogenic. Basically Mr. Embers would have to try and make him self really sick to even have a chance of getting full blown hallucinations.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and aquadoc

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I think the forbidden word is some sort of Scottish coinage. I like to walk and I enjoy smoking a pipe, and I have taken pleasure in doing them simultaneously. However, my complaints with the combination are that the breeze that often accompanies a nice walk often burns up a bowl of blend fairly quickly, and though there are wind caps, they are one more thing to jungle with the pipe and lighter/match. So then I find repacking the pipe a bit of hassle that distracts from the cadence of walking and the joy of observing the passing scene. I do enjoy the sport of relighting a pipe in the wind, using trees, berms, buildings, etc., as wind blocks. In fact, I usually find myself preferring to just walk or just smoke a pipe, truth be told.
I've found if you hold the pipe so your hands and fingers are working as a wind cap it actually works wonders, the one problem is it's slightly uncomfortable until you get past the first few minutes of the pipe. I know wonder how I didn't know for years about this simple trick. In fact someone here suggested it and I feel rude not remembering who I need to thank for that.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
that's funny because well almost any drug can do that. And tobacco is basically like deadly night shade but with different ratios of the drugs. The thing is the hallucinogenic qualities really only happen if you make someone like Burning Embers look casual and occasional about their tobacco consumption. Like even most of us would probably die from nicotine if we took enough tobacco for it to be genuinely hallucinogenic. Basically Mr. Embers would have to try and make him self really sick to even have a chance of getting full blown hallucinations.

Haha...... I suppose if I smoke back to back bowls of something nicotine strong I sorta hallucinate as I stare at the underside of the toilet bowl as I lay on my side trying to wait it out....

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Haha...... I suppose if I smoke back to back bowls of something nicotine strong I sorta hallucinate as I stare at the underside of the toilet bowl as I lay on my side trying to wait it out....
yeah that's about the long and short of it. Though the hallucinogenic drugs in tobacco (in incredibly miniscle amounts) don't create tolerance the way nicotine does. Even with that apparently part of the experience is being incredibly sick as well, or in other words it's not a recreational activity at all.

Jan 27, 2020
I started riding my bike as much as I can instead of taking the subway here in nyc due to the corona, anyway on flat relatively less hectic area riding and smoking my pipe is rather enjoyable. Did about 8 miles so far today and one bowl, will have a second on the way home.

hymnchimney

Might Stick Around
Feb 18, 2020
Morganton, NC
I generally use smoking a pipe as my sole reprieve from an otherwise incredibly busy life, so if I'm gonna be smoking, I'm gonna be sitting down with a beer.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Tried your 'Lunting" once. Just once. In proper redneck fashion, I decided to take the dogs for a walk. Two Dachshunds, who really did not like being on a leash, a good beer and a pipe. I figured, however, that I outweighed the mutts by a factor of 6-7 and therefore no sweat. Said those famous words to my wife...'watch this'! With pipe packed and lit, my cold beverage in hand, two dogs on leashes and determination, off we went. Along the way, another dog walker appeared and all hell broke loose. Two dwarf dogs pulled free from their leashes, but only after snapping the pipe off at the stem joint and knocking loose my poor brew. Unfortunately, I had clenched when I probably should have let go, so the pipe parted in pieces. Still not sure why a break instead of just separating. Well, in trying to catch part no 1, I grabbed at it and sent the hot contents about my arm and legs. Meanwhile, the dogs were making friends with the other walker and pooch. Beer was a total drained loss. Tally: Dogs 3, Beer 0, Pipe and myself -1 each. So much for 'Lunting' !

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Whatever works for anyone! I do 99% of my smoking while walking my dog, pipe never gets too hot like it does at home, steady smoking with the breath method, great taste.

These references to the breath method inspired me to review my technique with some YouTube videos and I just had one of my best pipes ever. It pays to revisit the fundamentals!

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I prefer to smoke while I'm sitting. My pipe is my relaxing time and it doesn't happen often. I like to savour and focus on my pipe. It's not a nicotine fix for me, it's purely pleasure, and I don't want to waste a moment of it while fucking around with something else
I agree. I probably couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time anyway, much less puff a bowlful of baccy. But since I don't get to do it very often, I sit on my duff while I puff.

Reactions: gervais and BROBS