PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I have been smoking a Stanwell Vario #40 which has a lucite stem. I found I have become partial to a lucite stem over vulcanite because it always stays nice and shiney. Dont get me wrong, I love my petersons. But oxidation just looks bad. I do polish them with briar pipe wipe. Any thoughts??

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I love the feel of vulcanite, but I appreciate the non-oxidation of lucite....Since we're so smart, why can't we have stems that are an amalgam of the two?.... :?:

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
"Obsidian stem oil is magic, i hear" You still have to completely clean all the oxidation off before you use the obsidian. "I love the feel of vulcanite, but I appreciate the non-oxidation of lucite....Since we're so smart, why can't we have stems that are an amalgam of the two?". We have amalgam stems, they are called cumberland. The cumberland still oxidizes, but not a bad as pure vulcanite. For myself, I like lucite, but way over half my pipes are vulcanits. Fact is if I see a pipe I like, really like, I am going to buy it no matter what stem or bit it has!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Like many here I have a few lucite stems.

As a "muncher" I love them.

And, as stated above, I will purchase the pipe that appeals to me.

Not, all lucite stems "look" right on some pipes.
I like them both.
Obsidian pipe stem oil is the "Bees Knees" in my book.

It has definitely improved the look of my pipes.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Overall I have about an equal number of Lucite,and Vulcanite stems.Any time I replace a stem though I choose Lucite.There are two reasons why.1-Vulcanite is black,and I like to match the color of the stem to the color of the bowl.2- Call me wierd if you must,but I may be the only pipe smoker around that thinks that Vulcinate has a taste to it that Lucite doesn't.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Prefer the Lucite stems for looks, vulcanite for feel. The Castello lucite mix is the perfect middle ground.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I've found if you dont polish a vulcanite stem for a while it will have a bad taste to it.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I like both. Smoke both and, make both. It comes down to what you find aesthetically pleasing and what you like or dislike about the mouth feel.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
We have amalgam stem, they are called Cumberland
Cumberland, or Brindle as it's known by some is still rubber, it's just a mix of different colored rubber. The only amalgam that I know of is Ashonite on Ashton stems. Both of my Ashtons are cumberland so I can't speak to the black but the Cumberland's I have oxidize as badly as my Dunhill's.
I'm in the love the look of Lucite but hate the hardness camp. Im a chomper and after 30 years of smoking, I doubt that will change

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a bit of a clincher, so I like the taste/feel of lucite and the way it holds up. My Stanwell has a black lucite, and it is terrific. A Pete Killarney trade is making its way to me via Canada USPS, so I'll have to find out about that stem.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I must admit that I've learned a lot with this thread....I never realized that Cumberland and Brindle were amalgams....and that they still oxidize. Must be there is still room for some of our inventive members to come up with some new and improved substance.... :D

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
New vulcanite doesn't have a taste to it but when you wet it and rub it it will have a scent. I have not owned a lucite stem yet but I do like acrylic just as much, if not more, than vulcanite. Oxidization does have a very awful taste that can give me a very bad migraine but I find that extra virgin olive oil does the trick.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
To save on oxidation i can only think of using tubing with a plastic coating on it or reinforced tubing and place it over the stem for the clentchers and chompers of you out there. But obviously make sure it fits tight.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
One of the byproducts of vulcanite oxidation is sulphur dioxide which is probably responsible for the smell and taste of oxidized stems.
When you're restoring estate pipes keep in mind that the oxidation may extend deep below the surface. You can buff the stem with Tripoli until it shines, only to find that the underlying oxidation works it's way to the surface. Soaking in a solution of Oxyclean and water works well at leeching out deep oxidation.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I smoke both and when my stems get oxidized - I take them to my pipe guy who gets them nice and shiny. I prefer the feel of vulcanite in my mouth - although it's not a deal breaker. A well maintained vulcanite looks and feels great in my opinion. However, my pipe guy has been replacing my stems with black lucite which works just fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.