Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I tried this method out and it worked very easily and quickly. Inexpensive too, so I thought I'd share the method.
You will need one bottle cap, 70% isopropryl alcohol, and of course the lucite stem in question.
Insert one bristled pipe cleaner into the stem so that you can easily grip the pipe cleaner on both ends of the stem.
Fill the bottle cap brimming full with alcohol and light it ablaze.
Grab the pipe cleaner at both ends, and hold the stem about 1/2 inch to an inch over the flame at the point where you want to make the bend, and turn somewhat rapidly by rolling the pipe cleaner between finger and thumb.
After about 15 seconds of doing this the surface of the lucite will start to sizzle (you can hear it as well as see it). Remove from the flame right away, and bend the stem over a rounded hard surface (I used my computer desk, but it occurred to me that using an empty beer bottle would work perfectly).
The lucite stem I bent stayed flexible for at least 20 seconds after getting to up to this temperature.
Run under cold water until cool. I have mine in the refrigerator right now to make sure it solidifies well. The pipe cleaner was easily removed after a soak in cold water.
et viola, a bent lucite stem.
I can't suggest this method for vulcanite, because I haven't tried it, but I suspect it would work as well.
Puff happy, all.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Zanthal may I suggest an alternate and safer way, fill measuring bowl with water, microwave for 5 minutes,get it boiling, insert pipe cleaner in stem, form hook on both ends, insert stem in water past where you want to make the bend,hang hook on side of measuring bowl, let it stay in water about 6 minutes, take it out and you can gently bend it used an ove glove to hold it, and used a bent pipe cleaner as my templet for the bend, go slow and gently bend, I did a partial bend and put it back in water for another 5 to 6 minutes and finished the bend, I had a big Winslow that the bend was too severe and it made the pipe more comfortable. The old cajun

Reactions: Peter - CCB

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
After about 15 seconds of doing this the surface of the lucite will start to sizzle (you can hear it as well as see it). Remove from the flame right away, and bend the stem over a rounded hard surface (I used my computer desk, but it occurred to me that using an empty beer bottle would work perfectly).
sizzle? I've found that sizzle usually is accompanied by bubbling,which can be a PITA to remove,if they can be removed. Think I'd use a candle instead,holding stem a couple of inches or so above the flame,heating slowly but thoroughly,constantly turning the stem. As Dave said a heat gun is best.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah sizzling is bad, I know as I have made mistakes. And the candle method is just as risky, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, Zanthal, the sizzling stuff is scary. There are lots of alternatives. Even if you don't have a heat gun, you could probably get a used hair dryer at a local second-hand place for under five bucks that would do the job.
Stick a wick in your alcohol fire would give you a little more control. Gas stoves work just fine. I have seen people do it with a lighter as well.
Molding the stem over a curved surface may also compress your draft hole more than you want.
Sizzling! Man!
anthony

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Last time I heard sizzling was a Corpsman behind me trying to stop the bleeding. Yeah, it

wasn't good!

'Sizzling is never a good sound unless you have bacon and a cast-iron pan!'

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
and remember, when you're heating plastics too much there are harmful gases being released into the air you're breathing.

russp

Lurker
Jul 16, 2012
That idea is a good quick fix! Smart!
If you have 20 minutes:
For older stems, either lucite, vulcanite, any plastic resin, I boil water in sauce pan and dip the stem until I can bend it with a pot holder. Works fine. Generally, molded plastics get pliable at 180 degrees. Most sheet plastics and even rod don't out-gas until they begin to burn, past 220 degrees and longer heat exposure. Check your plastic MSDS (material safety data sheet) or look up the specs and figure an educated guess. Rubber takes a little more heat but the boiled water technique has worked well for me. You can also keep a stem from getting expanded or having a twist in it because it got too hot.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/ heat gun, but I have turned hundreds of lucite stems out

w/just candle flame, about 3"-5" above the flame, spinning the

stem, as you put a little pressure on the heated area you will

know when it is time to make the bend

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
+1 to heat guns. Lee Valley often sells multi-speed, multi-temperature ones for 9.99$. Good value!

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I googled "how to bend smoking pipe stem" and happily found this thread in our Pipes Mag Forum. I used the boiling method, which seemed the safest and the result is a pipe I now enjoy smoking. Years ago I got a Peterson Shannon Bent. The bend gets flattened at the bit and this made it uncomfortable for me. I think this shape at the bit is a Peterson trademark. I like the bowl and have just put up with the bit over the years, but never smoked it that much. Today I thought maybe I could bend the bit. The post showed me how. When I put the bit in the boiling water, the flattened end "unflattened" by itself - it just went into the perfect shape because of the heating. I am so glad I found this post, I now have a pipe that I enjoy that can go into regular circulation, rather than occasionally smoking just to at least use it. THANKS!

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I've not tried the hot water method except for bending a wooden stem I made. I've used the candle method multiple times for stem bending and twisting a stem to realign it. I keep rotating the stem to keep it from burning in one spot.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I almost ruined the stem of a MM after having almost closed its opening from clenching by putting it into hot water to make it workable. The tenon got malleable too, and drooped a little. I guess I left it in too long.

I've used a tea candle too.

On my non filter cobs I put a drill bit through their stems because they're so narrow that passing a bristled cleaner trough them was difficult. No problem now!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I am very reluctant to use an open flame on ANY work with pipes. The only time I use a lighter is when I flame-set a new stain. I stick to my heat gun but I think the hot water method is evfen safer.
It´s quite amazing how many bite marks you can remove by just heating the stem over a heat gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.