Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am going to give a bit of unsolicited advice to all you members with GERD. This is from someone with deep experience with this. I was first diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia in the late 1990s. I have basically had my esophagus rebuilt twice with a procedure called a laparoscopic fundalplicaion. Both of those ”blew out” well over a decade ago. I have previously been prescribed every gut medicine and pump inhibitor ever devised by man. I spent about 20 years puking blood most days. I went through a stretch where I was not taking any meds and I really noticed no difference.

Advance the clock a few years, I decided to get overall healthier and lose some unnecessary weight. Part of this regime involved taking pre and probiotics and an abstinence of wheat from my diet. I based the use of pre and probiotics on a comment a pretty respected gut doctor made to me about research that most GERD was not caused by acid but, by a motility issue. The decision about wheat was taken because I thought that gluten could be a problem.

So, what happened? After just about a week, I was no longer daily puking ?. I did not have a problem with gluten. However, I did find that adding wheat back into my diet would always give me gastric distress of some order.My own conclusion is that, wheat is not what it was when I was a kid on the farm and that it was best avoided. Correcting my gut biome with the daily pre and probiotics was the main difference.

I will note that, I began a Ketogenic dIet about 3 years ago and lost about 50lbs. I visited Russia (my wife and I have a place there) in 2019 and went off the Keto and began to consume wheat products. Within weeks I was ”sick” again and put back on most of the weight over the next year.

I got sick of being fatter, sicker, and dumber and went back on Keto and kicked wheat to the curb again in February 2021. I have lost 55 lbs since then (now a skinny 165) and feel better than I have in the last 30 years.

I am not a medical professional but, I spent many years being a professional patient. I am not necessarily advocating anything (maybe) but, I hope that sharing these experiences may help some of you suffering. Been there-don’t plan on going back.

I realize that this is quite rambling but I would be remiss in not mentioning that, about 10 years ago, I had to have my gall bladder removed because of a (luckily, non-cancerous) tumor. There is/was a good possibility that this was the result of longtime use of statins and proton pump inhibitors. Just a cautionary word…
Good story and good for you! Awesome!

Reactions: dcon

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
My $0.02 as an avid coffee drinker (aeropress and espresso). Absolutely: the darker the roast, the less acidic, and some origins tend to be more acidic than others. There's also extraction: an underextracted coffee will be sour and acidic (conversely, an overextracted one will be bitter). Choose 1 parameter (time, temperature, grind size) and tweak it while keeping all others the same. For example, if the coffee tastes sour, grind a little finer and see if there is a change (I find grind size to be the most convenient thing to work with, so I keep all the others constant). There's also the coffee:water ratio; 18 grams of water for each gram of coffee is a sweet spot for many people.
Personal story: when I was learning to brew espresso, I used to use a pressurized portafilter, and when under/overextracted it gave my father heartburn and/or reflux, so I used him as my lab subject. Then I switched to a non-pressurized portafilter and things became more finnicky, but the heartburn disappeared. Lesson to take home: brewing method matters a lot.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
My suggestion. Alto Grande premium coffee. The lowest acidity i have ever taste in coffee and great taste. The coffee from this plantation was considered the best for the europen market in 19 century. However , if you add too much sugar or milk you may spoil it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Aeropress seems to extract less acid coffee to my taste. No clue how, but extract is sweet enough I don't need any sweetener.

I might look into pre and probiotics. Don't have any weight issue (5' 10" and range anywhere between 135-155 lbs). But being S. Korean by birth, stress is my middle name. Acid reflux started in my 20s. 1/4 of gene being Japanese doesn't help.

Boychek

Lurker
Sep 23, 2020
Trout- You might try lowering the temp of the water in your pour over, say 185º or so. And keep experimenting with beans.
Sir: As someone has indicated already a personal favorite, some Indonesian varieties have low or mild acidity. Also, Brazilian and Salvadoran may fall into low acidic coffees.
This one, not of the above, has proven to be low acidic for my wife and myself:
5 lbs. Bolivian Organic Fresh Light Roast 100% Arabica Coffee Beans - https://rhoadsroast-coffees.com/products/5-lbs-bolivian-organic-fresh-light-roast-100-arabica-coffee-beans?_pos=4&_sid=493c580ce&_ss=r
By-the-way, it comes in darker roasts; and, as you probably know, there's an inverse relationship to the caffeine content to the roast (i.e., light has more than medium and dark).
For-what-it's-worth, yours truly, Boychek

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Coffee isn't nearly as acidic as your stomach, fruit, or pickles. You're looking at the wrong thing as the culprit of gastritis.

Coffee acidity isn't nearly as big of a problem as rancid and roasted oils found in coffee. Dark roast, like deep fried food is more problematic for your stomach because of the oils, not the pH . You want lighter roast, but what you really need is freshly roasted coffee, like the gentleman above who owns a roaster supplies - it's better because it's fresh, not the roast level. And, you don't want it pre ground because of how surface area rapidly affects the rate at which the oils in the coffee oxidize.

Reactions: F4RM3R

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting take, but the "more" oils in dark roasts is odd, in that at higher temps more oils get burnt off in the roaster.

For the same reason you might want to use ground coffee. I say might, but there is but a minute or two between whole bean and extraction when I do it. Lucky enough to not have had acid reflux for three decades.

Reactions: dcon

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I am going to give a bit of unsolicited advice to all you members with GERD. This is from someone with deep experience with this. I was first diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia in the late 1990s. I have basically had my esophagus rebuilt twice with a procedure called a laparoscopic fundalplicaion. Both of those ”blew out” well over a decade ago. I have previously been prescribed every gut medicine and pump inhibitor ever devised by man. I spent about 20 years puking blood most days. I went through a stretch where I was not taking any meds and I really noticed no difference.

Advance the clock a few years, I decided to get overall healthier and lose some unnecessary weight. Part of this regime involved taking pre and probiotics and an abstinence of wheat from my diet. I based the use of pre and probiotics on a comment a pretty respected gut doctor made to me about research that most GERD was not caused by acid but, by a motility issue. The decision about wheat was taken because I thought that gluten could be a problem.

So, what happened? After just about a week, I was no longer daily puking ?. I did not have a problem with gluten. However, I did find that adding wheat back into my diet would always give me gastric distress of some order.My own conclusion is that, wheat is not what it was when I was a kid on the farm and that it was best avoided. Correcting my gut biome with the daily pre and probiotics was the main difference.

I will note that, I began a Ketogenic dIet about 3 years ago and lost about 50lbs. I visited Russia (my wife and I have a place there) in 2019 and went off the Keto and began to consume wheat products. Within weeks I was ”sick” again and put back on most of the weight over the next year.

I got sick of being fatter, sicker, and dumber and went back on Keto and kicked wheat to the curb again in February 2021. I have lost 55 lbs since then (now a skinny 165) and feel better than I have in the last 30 years.

I am not a medical professional but, I spent many years being a professional patient. I am not necessarily advocating anything (maybe) but, I hope that sharing these experiences may help some of you suffering. Been there-don’t plan on going back.

I realize that this is quite rambling but I would be remiss in not mentioning that, about 10 years ago, I had to have my gall bladder removed because of a (luckily, non-cancerous) tumor. There is/was a good possibility that this was the result of longtime use of statins and proton pump inhibitors. Just a cautionary word…
I can totally identify....... I was diagnosed with GERD in the mid 90s and was prescribed every single little pill available. It didn't help.
To make a long story short, I refused to have any laparoscopic fundalpicacion or any other invasive procedure and they just shook their heads and told me I would just have to live with it.

After many years of having to sleep sitting up and not being able to eat garlic, tomatoes, oranges, all the good stuff, what did finally help was reading the book "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter M.D. Grains can affect some people in horrible ways and I'm one of those people. Many docs try to solve the problem by prescribing the latest and greatest meds which not only do they not work but they bring on other problems.

I stopped eating any type of grain and eventually the problem went away. I do sometimes cheat (because who can resist pizza once in a while!) so I take an Omeprazole and it helps.
It may not work for everyone but not eating grains has been beneficial to my mental acuity, my physical endurance, my look (now I have a flat belly) and of course what goes on in my stomach and esophagus is no longer a pain in the arsenal.
And to top things off, I enjoy Trader Joe's Dark Roast coffee that seems to have low acidity and a ridiculously low price to boot with no ill effects other than the caffeine making me talk too much in the morning. I guess I just proved that.........

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I am a reflux sufferer, as well as a number of my friends. I also own a small family coffee roastery. I would suggest trying a local roastery. Darker coffee does lower the acidity, but the roast profile also makes a difference. I have customers that can drink coffee once again without issues due to my coffee selections, and roast profiles. So you are not out of luck.
What roaster do you use? I home roast for fun.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have been messing around A LOT with different beans from all over with my little popcorn popper... When I started I was kind of predisposed towards darker roasts and low acidity. My tastes have changed, but I would suggest beans from Brazil and Sumatra. In particular Sumatran beans processed by the "wet-hulled/giling basah" method. I have also enjoyed some lower acidity coffees from Yemen, but these might be harder to find and/or more costly.

As mentioned, darker roasts are usually less acidic in general. Good luck.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I know this post is supposed to be about coffee, but I just wanted to thank the members with GERD for sharing. I have GERD myself and am trying to figure it out without OTC meds.

Anyway, I drink various brands and roasts of coffee, and recently I've tried cold brew which seems to produce a smoother result with less acid.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

You could also buy ground chicory root at a health food store and add it to your favorite coffee. It pops the flavor and removes acidity but it is also a mild diuretic. The cowboys in US used to drink chicory root tea/coffee on the trail.

You can do your own research to confirm this.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
What everyone said so far is true. Diet can make a huge difference.

I am fortunate to only be a mild sufferer of occasional reflux so I don't know how much my advice helps but some (far too few) roasters do rate the acidity of their own product. Collectivo coffee in Milwaukee is one of them. I actually almost gave up on coffee before my wife found them. Now I love it again.

This is the one we get most.

This one is also quite good. A little more acid but definitely still on the lower end of the scale.

But as others have pointed out, coffee is intrinsically acidic. So while they do rate their coffee acidity, keep in mind the scale is *relative*. Which means if something is rated as low acidity, that means its low for coffee... which means you still probably have to see if it's low enough for you.

And finally, a quick "I second that motion" for the poster who mentioned that darker roasts are generally lower in acidity.